Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Feb 24, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #7,516 of 12,195
Considering how excellent Ushers are I am surprised we do not hear about them more. My Dad has the BE Dancers stand mounted and they have excellent inner detail, imaging, and sound stage. He is considering much larger speakers but hard to find one that still does what the BE Dancers do in midrange and highs. That seems to cost at least 7,500.

Consider a pair of Golden Ear Triton One that can be had for less than 7500, or a pair of Triton Reference for a bit more.

Feb 24, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #7,517 of 12,195
Consider a pair of Golden Ear Triton One that can be had for less than 7500, or a pair of Triton Reference for a bit more.

Will you have a chance to home audition? Sometimes having the subs integrated with the mains works, sometimes not so well. It's room dependent so hard to tell unless you're listening in your own room.

Edit - realized you were responding to another post.

Feb 24, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #7,518 of 12,195
Will you have a chance to home audition? Sometimes having the subs integrated with the mains works, sometimes not so well. It's room dependent so hard to tell unless you're listening in your own room.

Edit - realized you were responding to another post.

Hello @bfreedma. Please allow me to respond to your legitimate and sincere question. The answer is it depends on the particular dealer. Some will allow and/or encourage a home audition, others will not. Yes, it is room dependent, however, the same could be said for any speaker. In the case of the GE Triton (powered) series, there is a bass level control which allows for +/- 7.5 db gain (I can look up the frequency and octave slope if needed, but it's at approximately 80 Hz with 20db slope) of the bass that comes in handy when/if needed.

Feb 25, 2018 at 2:10 AM Post #7,519 of 12,195
We just had a music listening night using the Yggdrasil original board and the Freya preamp, and enjoyed the heck out of it. But pretty soon, I'm going to get in the queue to get new board and probably get USB gen 5, even though I use the lynx soundcard and AES. Still, the original Yggdrasil (regardless of how much of an improvement the new board is) is a beast, IMO.

Feb 25, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #7,521 of 12,195
Anybody around 75070 interested in A/B - ing, feel free to PM and come over. I have B version of Yggy.

I too have the B version of Yggy and I'll offer the same A/B opportunity to someone with analog A around 11520. Feel free to PM and come over

Feb 26, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #7,522 of 12,195
Feb 26, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #7,523 of 12,195
Thanks. Maybe I'll wait on the Gen 5. btw, is that a DQ10 in your avatar?
Yes! My first love! Had them for 20+ years.

Feb 26, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #7,525 of 12,195
Yes! My first love! Had them for 20+ years.

I loved my DQ-10's!!! I mirror imaged my pair and thought they had great vocals as well as imaging. A friend of mine had 2 Mirror Imaged pairs mounted on stands upside down with woofer on top and bottom (before 'Appolito did it :wink:) and sound fantastic in that configuration!!

Great speakers though...kept mine until the speaker surrounds started to rot...

Feb 26, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #7,526 of 12,195
I loved my DQ-10's!!! I mirror imaged my pair and thought they had great vocals as well as imaging. A friend of mine had 2 Mirror Imaged pairs mounted on stands upside down with woofer on top and bottom (before 'Appolito did it :wink:) and sound fantastic in that configuration!!

DQ-10's were my first hi-end speaker purchased with Crown amp and pre-amp and Kenwood turntable(still in the basement somewhere). For my 5th anniversary, we're still together and still upgrading equipment as needed(wanted?). She still gets final say on sound quality, always had a better ear!

Feb 27, 2018 at 5:25 AM Post #7,527 of 12,195

Yes, I wish I'd heard that! Mine were modded to the max. Mirrored, mountains of wondercaps, etc. When my foam surrounds went south, I found someone to redo them :) The only reason I got rid of mine was WAF. Fortunately I don't regret that as their replacement rocks. But they were really the first "affordable" hi end speaker - from memory $2.5k back in the day. I bought mine s/h and hope they found a loving home.

Feb 27, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #7,528 of 12,195
On another forum there is a fellow trying to sell his Yggy with Gen5 USB but without the new analog boards for $1700. He started out asking $1900. On Agon it is also listed but for $1850.

A new one is $2400 plus shipping. You get the new output boards and you get a full 3 year warranty instead of the two year warranty assuming you send it in for upgrade. You might save just a few dollars after paying for all the shipping but it seems like the spread would need to be a lot bigger to make it worth it. I would think this would have been a reasonable price before the announcement. I guess that you could argue that an original Yggy for that price is still very large bang for the audio buck?

This does not seem like a good time to sell a used Yggy unless you find someone who is unaware of the update...or perhaps now is the last good chance you would ever have.

Luckily most of us watching this thread are not likely to be selling...

Feb 27, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #7,530 of 12,195
On another forum there is a fellow trying to sell his Yggy with Gen5 USB but without the new analog boards for $1700. He started out asking $1900. On Agon it is also listed but for $1850.

A new one is $2400 plus shipping. You get the new output boards and you get a full 3 year warranty instead of the two year warranty assuming you send it in for upgrade. You might save just a few dollars after paying for all the shipping but it seems like the spread would need to be a lot bigger to make it worth it. I would think this would have been a reasonable price before the announcement. I guess that you could argue that an original Yggy for that price is still very large bang for the audio buck?

This does not seem like a good time to sell a used Yggy unless you find someone who is unaware of the update...or perhaps now is the last good chance you would ever have.

Luckily most of us watching this thread are not likely to be selling...

Unfortunately, Schiit Audio killed the resale value with the announcement of the A2 update. It's a double edged sword, though. If you manage to find a decent priced Yggy ( $1800 and under ) and don't plan to do the update you're still in good shape as the Yggy>gen5>A1 is and was the same beast that went up against all those other high dollar DAC's and stood for to the with them. The update to A2 is not mandatory. The update did not render the original Yggy obsolete! I managed to land a killer deal on a Yggy without the updates and don't plan to do the updates for some time if at all.

Then you have the other side of the spectrum. Isn't it nice to know that Schiit Audio is supporting the Yggy with modular updates and you don't have to buy a whole new DAC for $2400?

Now, I do feel that Schiit Audio should have worked with Yggy owners to do the updates at a reasonable cost. Maybe only charge a minimal amount for the original owner to limit the number of Yggys being sent in for updates.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back