Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Feb 27, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #7,546 of 12,305
The update to A2 is not mandatory. The update did not render the original Yggy obsolete! I managed to land a killer deal on a Yggy without the updates and don't plan to do the updates for some time if at all.

The A2 update is not mandatory, yet I assert that it is fully worth both the time, and money.

Feb 27, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #7,551 of 12,305
Then you know the post wasn't about if it's worth it or not, correct? Did you just purchase a Yggy and it came with A2 update already installed, or did you send yours in for the $550 update?

Yes I do know that, I was responding to something more specific within your post. Perhaps my response is for someone else who will come along and read what I offered.

I was one of the first 100 or so people to buy an Yggy, and the 29th to have my A1 upgraded to an A2. In my system, with my ears, the A2 clearly surpasses the capabilities of the A1. Folks keep coming round this thread with this very question, so every once in a while it's helpful to post up the answer for them. Kinda like a PSA.

Feb 28, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #7,552 of 12,305
I had my Yggy back with A2 upgrade and my impression in one line would be - MORE EASE OF PERCEPTIBILITY.

Some additional points.

-More realism
-More resolution
-More 3D-ish
-More music in the room
-More engagement/unconscious involvement
-Will force you to revisit your collections
-Earlier, you were closer to stage and now you are on the stage with musicians.

For all these, IMO, major contributor is blacker background.

It may sound funny but I was listening to some 60-70 years old recordings and they too have resolution.

oh..the million dollar question, is upgrade worth??? YES, absolutely.

Some more impression.....copied the previous one for folks joining the party late.

So, I have been with A2 for a week and there is another observation that I am not sure if I will be able to describe but thought would give it a try.

We have come across several occasions where folks prefer turntables (Analog) to DACs (digital). The same happens with me too but this time I challenged myself to define at least a couple of aspects around as to what these differences are and here is what I could think.

1. Analog's delivery is very relaxed while when we move to DACs, that digit-ness adds shiny layer to the sound which essentially the brain perceives as if there is some urgency of delivery of sound from your system. Compared to A1, A2 has less of urgency and so, rendition is more relaxed.

2. Subtlety in tracks are very easy to perceive from a turntable based system and the same quality of sound is now possible with A2.

I did not mean to bore you guys :) but these are real + points of A2 compared to A1, IMO.

Feb 28, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #7,553 of 12,305
Upgrade process pretty slow. I've moved from135 to 98 in 2 months. At this rate will take another 6 months.
Could be tempted to sell and just buy new.

Feb 28, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #7,555 of 12,305
Some more impression.....copied the previous one for folks joining the party late.

So, I have been with A2 for a week and there is another observation that I am not sure if I will be able to describe but thought would give it a try.

We have come across several occasions where folks prefer turntables (Analog) to DACs (digital). The same happens with me too but this time I challenged myself to define at least a couple of aspects around as to what these differences are and here is what I could think.

1. Analog's delivery is very relaxed while when we move to DACs, that digit-ness adds shiny layer to the sound which essentially the brain perceives as if there is some urgency of delivery of sound from your system. Compared to A1, A2 has less of urgency and so, rendition is more relaxed.

2. Subtlety in tracks are very easy to perceive from a turntable based system and the same quality of sound is now possible with A2.

I did not mean to bore you guys :) but these are real + points of A2 compared to A1, IMO.

Appreciate that insight. Gets me even more exited to get the Yggdrasil I ordered yesterday. Currently when I compare my TT to my Bimby on the same album I noticed the differences you notice. In fact when I have something on both LP and CD I almost always prefer listening to the LP. The LP also sounds more open and dimensional vs. the digital sounding more flat. Like a photograph raw file that has been over sharpened in light room the digital can have an unnatural sound when comparing to vinyl.

I am hoping the Yggdrasil brings the sound of my CDs much closer to that of my LPs. Would be even happier if it sounded better than the LPs. Because most of my music is digital and much of it only comes in digital. New classical music for example is the one genre that has not jumped on the vinyl revolution bandwagon. Though Deutsche Gramophone is starting to do new vinyl releases now.

Feb 28, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #7,556 of 12,305
They need to step up the timing on these upgrades big time!!!
I'm 186 out of 193, just got in.
I can sympathize. Imagine if they sent out notifications to all owners at the same time. I would have just waited a while until things settled down and then sent it in. Who knows, by then there may be even more little upgrades. :wink:

Hopefully they get through them all in a timely manner.

Feb 28, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #7,557 of 12,305
Appreciate that insight. Gets me even more exited to get the Yggdrasil I ordered yesterday. Currently when I compare my TT to my Bimby on the same album I noticed the differences you notice. In fact when I have something on both LP and CD I almost always prefer listening to the LP. The LP also sounds more open and dimensional vs. the digital sounding more flat. Like a photograph raw file that has been over sharpened in light room the digital can have an unnatural sound when comparing to vinyl.

I am hoping the Yggdrasil brings the sound of my CDs much closer to that of my LPs. Would be even happier if it sounded better than the LPs. Because most of my music is digital and much of it only comes in digital. New classical music for example is the one genre that has not jumped on the vinyl revolution bandwagon. Though Deutsche Gramophone is starting to do new vinyl releases now.
On this note of LP vs CD, I don't think we'll ever get to the point where CD's will ever sound like LP's. Below is a link to an interesting article and worth reading. I don't know how accurate it is, but interesting nonetheless.

Some things of note is how low distortion is for CD's whereas Vinyl can reach up to 7%, but it's second order (harmonic) distortion that is apparently pleasing to the ears.

The other interesting aspect I learned was that channel separation in CD's definitive, but you have channel-bleed with vinyl, however many decibels down from the listening level.

Then there's the FR and I originally thought vinyl rolled off at 12khz, but I was mistaken; I shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet. Anyway It appears the vinyl has a wider range and it's arguable whether someone can hear it or not.

I mentioned in Jason's thread about creating a Vinylizer device (maybe an add on to The Gadget or Loki) that could be adjustable to add second order distortion, channel-bleed and perhaps even roll off the sound beyond what's recorded. Perhaps it's silly, but it would be interesting to see if the vinyl sound could be recreated in that manner.

Here's the article

Vinyl vs. CD - A Running Commentary - Parts 1 - 5 - Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #7,558 of 12,305
I ordered new almost 3 weeks ago. Last email answer I received said at least a couple more weeks. Might take as long to get a new one as an upgrade.:triportsad:

Feb 28, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #7,560 of 12,305
On this note of LP vs CD, I don't think we'll ever get to the point where CD's will ever sound like LP's. Below is a link to an interesting article and worth reading. I don't know how accurate it is, but interesting nonetheless.

Some things of note is how low distortion is for CD's whereas Vinyl can reach up to 7%, but it's second order (harmonic) distortion that is apparently pleasing to the ears.

The other interesting aspect I learned was that channel separation in CD's definitive, but you have channel-bleed with vinyl, however many decibels down from the listening level.

Then there's the FR and I originally thought vinyl rolled off at 12khz, but I was mistaken; I shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet. Anyway It appears the vinyl has a wider range and it's arguable whether someone can hear it or not.

I mentioned in Jason's thread about creating a Vinylizer device (maybe an add on to The Gadget or Loki) that could be adjustable to add second order distortion, channel-bleed and perhaps even roll off the sound beyond what's recorded. Perhaps it's silly, but it would be interesting to see if the vinyl sound could be recreated in that manner.

Here's the article

Vinyl vs. CD - A Running Commentary - Parts 1 - 5 - Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Thank you will definitely check this out. Good stuff and I agree about the pleasing distortion which can also be found in tube amps. Solid state has less distortion but it the offensive nature. Of coarse the best tube and solid state tend to converge IMO. Digital has less distortion but what it does have is of the offensive nature as well. With vinyl and tubes it is like adding too much chocolate syrup to your ice cream and with digital it is like adding a little salt and pepper to your ice creme. Does not take as much to adulterate the experience.

Agree that I would not expect digital to every to sound just like vinyl but it could have more of vinyl's strengths. MQA theoretically does some of this but I do not want to only rely on Tidal to get that. Tidal is in financial trouble. And I do not like the manner that MQA is administered so I am skipping it.

But the way I would not at all be interested in a Vinylizer device. I will take my CDs for what they are. I am perfectly happy to play both CDs and records. I really enjoy the large physical format of vinyl and its great sound. And more than just the great sound but psychologically it pleased me to watch it spin and the live sensation of the needle reading the grooves. I also like playing CDs. Having a good TT and a good Transport/DAC is the best way to go IMO. I do not have to choose between the two because I have both. And they offer each other a change of pace and work together to enhance the listening experience. For example my original pressing Led Zepplin LPs still sound amazing. Have no desire at all to buy digital copies. When I listen to Led Zepplin it is on LP. A lot of the classical music I have is only on CD and many of them have great sound even on my Bimby. If Yggy takes them to a new level I will really be in for a treat!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back