Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Feb 27, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #7,531 of 12,309
I don't have too much objections about the cost of the update but do think that Schiit should have contacted the Yggy owners to let them know about the update.

Unless you are subscribed to this thread or visit their website regularly, you would never know. I wasn't subscribed to this thread and haven't visited their website, so yea... found out by accident very recently.

I think if you have something like the Yggy, you are pretty serious about audio and want one of the best available. And Schiit does have their customers contact info.

Also, I feel bad for those who sent their Yggy in for the Gen 5 USB update last September only to send it in again in... 4 months? Do you think they knew about the upcoming A2 update last September when they offered the Gen 5 USB update? Not a huge deal but kind of painful, disorganized, and not customer friendly IMO.

Feb 27, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #7,532 of 12,309
I don't have too much objections about the cost of the update but do think that Schiit should have contacted the Yggy owners to let them know about the update.

Unless you are subscribed to this thread or visit their website regularly, you would never know. I wasn't subscribed to this thread and haven't visited their website, so yea... found out by accident very recently.

I think if you have something like the Yggy, you are pretty serious about audio and want one of the best available. And Schiit does have their customers contact info.

I find it refreshing for a company not to spam automatically, good job Schiit.

Feb 27, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #7,534 of 12,309
SPAM:

noun
  1. 1.
    irrelevant or inappropriate messages sent on the Internet to a large number of recipients.
  2. 2.
    trademark
    a canned meat product made mainly from ham.
verb
  1. 1.
    send the same message indiscriminately to (large numbers of recipients) on the Internet.
The Yggy update info is neither irrelevant nor inappropriate message to the Yggy owners, and I am not suggesting the message be sent indiscriminately but only to the Yggy owners. Even if we agree to disagree on the definition, still doubt they didn't have any knowledge of upcoming A2 update last September when gen 5 usb update was offered. Again, it isn't a huge deal. I've seen worse and I am still glad that an upgrade is even possible, but these two updates could have been handled better IMO.

Feb 27, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #7,536 of 12,309
SPAM:

noun
  1. 1.
    irrelevant or inappropriate messages sent on the Internet to a large number of recipients.
  2. 2.
    trademark
    a canned meat product made mainly from ham.
verb
  1. 1.
    send the same message indiscriminately to (large numbers of recipients) on the Internet.
The Yggy update info is neither irrelevant nor inappropriate message to the Yggy owners, and I am not suggesting the message be sent indiscriminately but only to the Yggy owners. Even if we agree to disagree on the definition, still doubt they didn't have any knowledge of upcoming A2 update last September when gen 5 usb update was offered. Again, it isn't a huge deal. I've seen worse and I am still glad that an upgrade is even possible, but these two updates could have been handled better IMO.

This might have been an intentional strategy to try to stem the flood of orders too. Schiit are clearly pushing the envelope on fulfilling their current orders and improving their operations, while at the same time, trying to stay competitive in the market. While I agree I think it would be a very good thing to contact their previous customers with a message about the new upgrade, it just may not have made sense at the time. Also, they have always said they are not about the 'hard sell' and may have thought some folks would perceive an email about the upgrade like this.

Bottom line is we don't know the reason why things happened like they did, but don't assume this could have been "handled better" - this may have been "handled" the best way that made sense at the time, and you can never make everyone happy.

Feb 27, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #7,539 of 12,309
The Schiit website allows one to subscribe to e-mailings. Presumably the A2 upgrade announcement was sent via that channel. But I agree, existing customers whose email is already on file should/could be sent a more "personalized" email. My upgrade path from A1 to A2 was relatively pleasant, albeit somewhat unfortunate that I had (or at least felt the desire) to "upgrade". This because Schiit announced in January 2018 that units shipped since October 2017 already contained the upgrade. My analog A unit was in fact shipped October 2017, which is in part why they agreed to upgrade my unit "free".

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #7,540 of 12,309
The Schiit website allows one to subscribe to e-mailings. Presumably the A2 upgrade announcement was sent via that channel. But I agree, existing customers whose email is already on file should/could be sent a more "personalized" email. My upgrade path from A1 to A2 was relatively pleasant, albeit somewhat unfortunate that I had to "upgrade". This because Schiit announced in January 2018 that units shipped since October 2017 already contained the upgrade. My analog A unit was in fact shipped October 2017, which is in part why they agreed to upgrade my unit "free".

I am the 2nd owner of my Yggy and speaking on his behalf but the previous owner sent his Yggy in early December for the Gen5 update and like everyone else ( but the Schiit workers ) was unaware of the A2 update. I'm not saying the update should be free, but if those customers that had their unit in from, say, Oct 2017 to Jan 16 2018 should be offered a free pass to the head of the line along with free overnight shipping. That's if the Yggy owner wants to shell out the $550 for the update!

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #7,541 of 12,309
It all depends on what you can afford. And separates of the same quality as the Pass integrated are not just a little more but a lot more. If you are driving Magnepans I would not get a Pass integrated but separates of same price with more power. Those speakers need it. But if I had more efficient speakers like PSB T3 then I would go with the Pass integrated rather than separates of the same price. In that case you would likely be getting better quality of sound overall. Integrated amps have the advantage of no interconnect and assurance that the preamp and amp stage has full synergy when it come to impedance matching among other things. The disadvantage is the shared power supply. But as long as the power supply is robust enough for the spec power output then that is mitigated. My Dad has a 500wpc Musical Fidelity Nuvista integrated amp. The power supply is actually in a separate box and extremely heavy by itself. The amp and preamp stages are in the main chaise. In some ways I think this is better than separates because the preamp and amp can be fully synergized with no interconnect. And the power supply is separated entirely from both the amp and preamp circuits unlike separates. His amp sounds absolutely amazing with uncanny resolution and nuance. And it can drive anything well. It has quantity and quality. But it was very expensive. So each component should be evaluated by its merits, value, and how it fits into the rest of your system.

Looking at your components I can see why you are getting better sound out of your Yggy. You have quality separates. The Yggdrasil scales up very well. IMO you could keep upgrading amp, preamp, and speakers and the Yggdrasil will scale up to about anything.
The int-150 is more than enough to power Maggie's

Feb 27, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #7,542 of 12,309
The int-150 is more than enough to power Maggie's

That would be good. I think the only the 60 and 250 are listed now. The int-60 is $9k. Would love to have one but for that price and very hard to drive speakers I may go with Monoblocks instead. However an int-150 or 250 may still sound more refined that separates at that price. Hard to know without auditioning.

Feb 27, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #7,543 of 12,309
The Schiit website allows one to subscribe to e-mailings. Presumably the A2 upgrade announcement was sent via that channel. But I agree, existing customers whose email is already on file should/could be sent a more "personalized" email. My upgrade path from A1 to A2 was relatively pleasant, albeit somewhat unfortunate that I had to "upgrade". This because Schiit announced in January 2018 that units shipped since October 2017 already contained the upgrade. My analog A unit was in fact shipped October 2017, which is in part why they agreed to upgrade my unit "free".

How did you find out about the upgrade and how did you know yours was A1? If you didn't inquire and did not know about it, do you think you still would have gotten the upgrade, let alone, for free?

Feb 27, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #7,545 of 12,309
How did you find out about the upgrade and how did you know yours was A1? If you didn't inquire and did not know about it, do you think you still would have gotten the upgrade, let alone, for free?

Hello jscmd2000. In answer to your questions:
  • I primarily found out about the upgrade via this forum thread. I also subscribe to other threads on this and other forums, and in and around the time of the official release, baldr made some posts that while somewhat vague had me pay closer attention to the forums in general. I later found out about the subscription option on the Schiit website by poking around the website. This is why I stated that presumably Schiit announced the upgrade via their own email channel, but I cannot be certain if they did or did not, because I wasn't subscribed at the time.
  • Knowing whether or not I had the upgrade was simple enough. When I found out about the upgrade, I emailed Schiit support and orders. Among details of what the upgrade involved, they mentioned serial numbers beginning with an "A" is the older original board, and that anyone with an upgraded board would have a unit serial number beginning with "B". Mine was "A", so clearly I did not have the latest board.
  • At the time I inquired with Schiit as to any and all specifics about the upgrade, it wasn't immediately clear (to me) whether or not I was *entitled* to have received the upgrade when the Yggy shipped to me initially in October 2017. Suffice it to say the orders and support Schiit email channels were a bit illusive and/or vague in their email response(s). So, I took it upon myself to email Jason Stoddard directly. At that point, I believe he made an executive decision that in my case (not sure if he made a global decision applicable to anyone who was shipped a Yggy in 10/17) I was *entitled* to the upgrade; because my unit was shipped to me in October 2017 and their press release indicated the "B" version was effective with units shipped in October. Jason basically approved my upgrade at their cost. He asked (email) me to contact orders. So at this point, I contacted orders (Laura) and clearly indicated that I had communicated already with Jason (and CCd him on the email). Laura then advised I was to pay one way shipping to Schiit, and they would do the upgrade and return shipment at their expense.
  • If I didn't inquire, I do not believe Schiit would have reached out to me to ask if I wanted the upgrade (either free or to pay). I'm also uncertain as to whether or not Schiit would have upgraded my unit free had I not contacted/asked Jason directly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back