Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jul 22, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #451 of 12,390
Any news regarding when the next batch of Yggy's will be shipped? I'm waiting since June now...
Especially after having a home demo (in the UK) of the Yggy for about a week I know how good my system COULD sound...

Do you have to talk directly to electromod to order these as they aren't on their schiit page?

Although I am now waiting on the new announced before I get anything. In no rush waiting on my LC anyway.

Jul 22, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #453 of 12,390
Looking for a DAC to replace my audio_GD DAC19dsp, will be used on Marantz PM11S2 amp and Harbeth SHL5 speakers..

So what do you guys think, Schiit YGG or A-GD Master 11 for classical and Jazz trio's? So far I'm leaning towards the Ygg I think
rolleyes.gif

life like tonality/sound is most important to me (and 3d soundstage)

Jul 22, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #455 of 12,390
  Looking for a DAC to replace my audio_GD DAC19dsp, will be used on Marantz PM11S2 amp and Harbeth SHL5 speakers..

So what do you guys think, Schiit YGG or A-GD Master 11 for classical and Jazz trio's? So far I'm leaning towards the Ygg I think
rolleyes.gif

life like tonality/sound is most important to me (and 3d soundstage)

Since you are asking this question in a thread regarding the Yggdrasil, there is only one possible answer: get an Yggy.

Jul 22, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #458 of 12,390
  In the Master-7 thread, they said the same thing...Yggy
biggrin.gif

Damn, I was researching the Master 7 months ago, and never really looked at the Yggy. Now after hours of research is appears the Yggy is the new kid on the block. I already just ordered the Master 7, so I'm going to just stick with that for now. Looks like I'll be getting this when bonus time rolls around, it's on backorder anyway. You made the right choice, I actually researched after I saw your post in the Master 7 thread lol. 

Either way I'll still be in the R2R master race. 

Jul 23, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #459 of 12,390

Damn, I was researching the Master 7 months ago, and never really looked at the Yggy. Now after hours of research is appears the Yggy is the new kid on the block. I already just ordered the Master 7, so I'm going to just stick with that for now. Looks like I'll be getting this when bonus time rolls around, it's on backorder anyway. You made the right choice, I actually researched after I saw your post in the Master 7 thread lol. 

You may like the Master 7 anyway. Check DACladder's comparison with the Yggy.

Jul 23, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #460 of 12,390
Cross-linking here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/613387/msb-analog-dac-review-p3/180#post_11783044

Jul 23, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #461 of 12,390

In the Master-7 thread, they said the same thing...Yggy :D

If I were you I would return the master 7...

I currently own the yggy, and had the master 7 with me for a few days in my system.

To me it is an obvious downgrade.
It has a thicker, syrupy, and very polished, but still less resolute sound..
It still is an excellent excellent dac,
But we are talking in comparison to the yggy, which climbs to an unbelievably realistic level.

The sound stage detailing is about half, to two thirds the yggy

Jul 24, 2015 at 1:14 AM Post #462 of 12,390
If I were you I would return the master 7...

I currently own the yggy, and had the master 7 with me for a few days in my system.

To me it is an obvious downgrade.
It has a thicker, syrupy, and very polished, but still less resolute sound..
It still is an excellent excellent dac,
But we are talking in comparison to the yggy, which climbs to an unbelievably realistic level.

The sound stage detailing is about half, to two thirds the yggy

Take these things into consideration.
I'm going to be using the DAC with some PreSonus Sceptre S8's +Temblor T10. I'll be using the speakers internal power supply, not going to use power filters. 
I do have an HD800, but I can only power those through my WA7 which is unbalanced.
Not sure if the Yggy's extra detail and soundstage are going to matter much with the gear I'm using?
+
I'm coming from a PCM5102 in the WA7 (bleh), the M7 is going to kill that.
The Yggy is on back-order, who knows when I'd get it.

There's no doubt I'll be buying another DAC in the future, I'll probably just stick with the M7 for now since I can get it in a few week (assumedly).
Plus I can always dump the M7 on the used market for around $1500 to cushion if I really did want to buy the Yggy.

Jul 24, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #463 of 12,390
Take these things into consideration....

I'm going to be using ...

I do have an HD800, but I can only power those through my WA7 which is unbalanced.
Not sure if the Yggy's extra detail and soundstage are going to matter much with the gear I'm using?

There is no question you will have a musical excellent experience with the Master7.
The soundstage detailing I hearing is in a magnified level due to using it as headphone setup only with HD800.
I initially was impressed by the Master7 fluid, clean and impressively polished sound.
There no denying it is an excellent dac.
It is just that the yggy is on another level.

As for the soundstage detailing,
It actually all happened by accident..

When listening to a piano & bass jazz track with the yggy:
At first I thought someone was in the kitchen , as I heard some plates being handled in the distance,
About 25feet away on my left side(!) which was where my kitchen was located..
But then later I realize no one was in the kitchen!
and then I heard plates on my right side in the distance ..
Then I realized I was fooled as it was the recorded soundstage, and this was just a "live" recording, not some "binaural" type of recording...

I have since played that track with three other dacs(M7,Lampi7,LIO) to see how they displayed the soundstage details,
And they ranged from almost non-existant, to partially good.
The Master7 was partially good.
Which in turn actually means it is excellent,
because the yggy is extra-ordinary and in an unbelievable level when it comes to that type of realism.

Jul 24, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #464 of 12,390
Forgot to mention that instead of actual plates being handled, on the other dacs it came across more like a broken piece of glass,
or a wine glass cup being handled in vague distance much more centered..
So I would say phase accuracy, or whatever other parameters is responsible for location placement, is highly accurate on the yggy.

Jul 24, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #465 of 12,390
Forgot to mention that instead of actual plates being handled, on the other dacs it came across more like a broken piece of glass,
or a wine glass cup being handled in vague distance much more centered..
So I would say phase accuracy, or whatever other parameters is responsible for location placement, is highly accurate on the yggy.

Good points. Has much to do with the recording as well, even the worst DACs will work with something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUDTlvagjJA that feels "3D".

I am intrigued by the overall increase in this effect with the Yggy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back