Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jan 14, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #3,784 of 12,285
I tried a Mutek MC 3+ via USB on my MAC mini to get an AES/EBU output to my Yggy. Did not like it at all, sounded "metallic". Returned it.

Also, tried a Wyred4Sound Remedy for USB to AES/EBU convertion. Not a good choice for the Yggy as it upsamples everything to 24/96 and is no longer bit perfect. Does not play well with Mike's Mega Burrito filter. Made the Yggy sound as processed as Velveeta. Returned it.

Now using a Sonore MicroRendu with the LPS-1 power supply feeding the USB input to my Yggy. Very happy with that. I have stopped looking for upgrades here.

Jan 14, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #3,785 of 12,285
I have both coax from Classic SB going to AES using Canare adapter and iPhone through camera adapter kit to USB, both sound fantastic however AES/EBU feels better. I have been trying to understand where the difference is because I have been trying hard, I clearly hear the difference but not able to put that in words. But now since this topic has come up again, by giving it a try, I would say AES/EBU sounds better because it produces true timbre. While USB has little touch of metal shine but far far far away from non- listenable. I like both the inputs and trust me that iPhone/IPad to USB is a revelation compared to a computer/laptop to USB.

Also, SPDIF user, please try to get away from it as early as possible if you like to realize full potential of Yggy.

Jan 15, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #3,786 of 12,285
You guys using AES/EBU, what's your source? My computer only has spdif/toslink out :frowning2:

iMac/Dante > Ethernet > unDAES-O > AES > Yggy

Noise floor has dropped out of sight, Yggy essence fully revealed, I have no plans to return to any USB interface.

IMO
YMWV

Jan 15, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #3,788 of 12,285
Jan 15, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #3,789 of 12,285
What do you use as a power supply to the unDAES?

24V wall wart purchased from Atterotech. I'm sure I could tweak around with a better PS, but am too happy to touch anything for a while.

Jan 15, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #3,790 of 12,285
24V wall wart purchased from Atterotech. I'm sure I could tweak around with a better PS, but am too happy to touch anything for a while.

Thanks.  I didn't realize they had them available.  I don't have PoE, so I was just wondering what to get.

Did you order straight from Atterotech?  I've been hunting to buy one of these online for awhile, but their gear is not easy to find.  There are just a handful of online sellers.  I've tried sending a few of their "authorized resellers" emails for quotes and either get no response, or huge prices emailed back to me - nowhere near the $599 the online stores are selling them for.  Of course, I'm in Canada, and some of these online sources don't even ship to Canada. Let's just say this Atterotech stuff seems very difficult to buy.

Jan 15, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #3,791 of 12,285
Thanks.  I didn't realize they had them available.  I don't have PoE, so I was just wondering what to get.

Did you order straight from Atterotech?  I've been hunting to buy one of these online for awhile, but their gear is not easy to find.  There are just a handful of online sellers.  I've tried sending a few of their "authorized resellers" emails for quotes and either get no response, or huge prices emailed back to me - nowhere near the $599 the online stores are selling them for.  Of course, I'm in Canada, and some of these online sources don't even ship to Canada. Let's just say this Atterotech stuff seems very difficult to buy.

Bought both here http://www.fullcompass.com

They had uDO in stock; power supply drop-shipped separately.

Jan 15, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #3,793 of 12,285
Thanks.

Do you know if it is a switching power supply or linear?  For $46, it should probably be linear.

Here ya go. You could just buy the uDO and shop for a PS of your choice.

Jan 15, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #3,795 of 12,285
I tried a Mutek MC 3+ via USB on my MAC mini to get an AES/EBU output to my Yggy. Did not like it at all, sounded "metallic". Returned it.

Odd, My Mutec MC-3+ USB doesn't sound metallic at all on my Windows PC.   If anything it's by a fair amount the least Metallic (digital) sounding converter I've heard to date.
I will say this though....  to get the best out of the Mutec, I have found (rather ironically) it's ideal to not use any audiophile software that may be installed on ones PC. 
-- Fidelizer, JPlay, Process Lasso, etc.... all seem to contribute to a more "digital" sounding result with the Mutec. 
YMMV, but I find The MC-3+ seems to do noticeably better on it's own along with setting Minimum Latency for the USB streaming mode in the control panel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back