Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jan 17, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #3,812 of 12,194
  I have been set with my Sonos/Bifrost/Valhalla 2/HD 800 rig for over two years now but I am thinking about making a big jump to the Yggdrasil and an end game amplifier such as the DNA Stratus. I am slowing making my way through this thread, but I figured I would ask you guys a few questions up front:

1. The Yggdrasil is still generally considered the best DAC at this price point, right? 

2. What do I need to know about incorporating the Yggdrasil into my rig? Is there any reason that streaming FLAC from my external HD to the Sonos Connect: Amp to the Yggdrasil would pose issues? If so, what are some possible solutions?

3. Is it generally recommended to go balanced at this level? I've always used the single ended stock cable for my HD 800. 

4. Is there any reason to think that pairing the Yggdrasil with the DNA Stratus and HD 800 wouldn't work? That is, is there any reason to think they wouldn't compliment each other particularly well? 

Thanks all!

1. yup 
2. Dunno 
3.4 Pairing with the Stratus and HD800 is great. No worry about that. The Stratus is an SE design and offers only RCA inputs. Nevertheless , the Stratus offers a true balanced output ( SE > Balanced conversion is done my the Output transformer) and imo it sounds a tiny bit better with the HD800. ( better aka a tiny bit more tight/focused.. i wouldn't bet my paycheck on a ABX test though :wink:

Jan 17, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #3,813 of 12,194
Thanks!

Jan 17, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #3,814 of 12,194
Since @Sorrodje already covered your other questions, I'll limit my response this one:

Quote:

2. What do I need to know about incorporating the Yggdrasil into my rig? Is there any reason that streaming FLAC from my external HD to the Sonos Connect: Amp to the Yggdrasil would pose issues? If so, what are some possible solutions?

Sonos only supports FLAC at 16 bit/44.1 KHz ... so if you have lossless files at a higher resolution/bit-depth you won't be able to play those.

Jan 17, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #3,815 of 12,194
  I have been set with my Sonos/Bifrost/Valhalla 2/HD 800 rig for over two years now but I am thinking about making a big jump to the Yggdrasil and an end game amplifier such as the DNA Stratus. I am slowing making my way through this thread, but I figured I would ask you guys a few questions up front:

Thanks all!

I am very confused, in #2 are you trying to put an amp between Yggy and a source?

Jan 17, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #3,816 of 12,194

The Yggy already has its own clock regeneration and management system and amazingly good jitter, below  - 145 dBFS.

Additional external clocks are just superfluous.

USB did not come close to the result I got when I started using a Yellowtec PUC2 Lite (USB to AES) with my Yggy.  Clearer sound and more meat on the bones (greater tonal density).  I am sold on the Yggy's AES input.

Jan 17, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #3,817 of 12,194

USB did not come close to the result I got when I started using a Yellowtec PUC2 Lite (USB to AES) with my Yggy.  Clearer sound and more meat on the bones (greater tonal density).  I am sold on the Yggy's AES input.

The quote was not about USB vs AES.  

The quote was about the superfluous nature of using external re-clockers when the internal clock system of the Yggy is already one of the best in the world, as well as having class-leading jitter specs.

Jan 17, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #3,818 of 12,194
My apologies, I misunderstood.  I thought you meant that there was no need to do other than use straight USB.  My experience with the Yellowtec has me following what rb2013 has been doing with USB converters, linear power supplies, etc.  Interesting stuff:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/829639/usb-strikes-back-watch-out-aoip-usb-ethernet-chain-beats-all-at-least-for-me/300

Jan 17, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #3,819 of 12,194
Since @Sorrodje already covered your other questions, I'll limit my response this one:

Quote:

Sonos only supports FLAC at 16 bit/44.1 KHz ... so if you have lossless files at a higher resolution/bit-depth you won't be able to play those.

Ah, good to know. 99% of my collection is 16/44.1 redbook, but I do have a few albums at higher resolutions.

I've read that using Sonos might cause some issues with jitter because it is a relatively low quality source? If true, what are some other sources that I could use that wouldn't "hold back" the Yggy (or would support higher resolution files)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 17, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #3,820 of 12,194
Ah, good to know. 99% of my collection is 16/44.1 redbook, but I do have a few albums at higher resolutions.

I've read that using Sonos might cause some issues with jitter because it is a relatively low quality source? If true, what are some other sources that I could use that wouldn't "hold back" the Yggy (or would support higher resolution files)?

If you're just worried about jitter, try it first ... if the "Buy Better Gear" light doesn't come on (also known as the "Clock Mode Indicator") then there's not really anything to be gained from a different source there (there might be other reasons, but jitter won't be one of them).

If you're going to go with something else to drive Yggdrasil to it's maximum input capability, however, then it's worth trying to get something with a proper AES implementation (or failing that, COAX/BNC).  Lots of options there, but if it needs to be network-attached then it'll get expensive and fiddly quite quickly.  As a NAI/AOIP solution, I like the Auralic Aries and the RedNet (or other DANTE) devices.  The former is easier to use and a lot more flexible, but more expensive.

Jan 17, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #3,821 of 12,194

The quote was not about USB vs AES.  

The quote was about the superfluous nature of using external re-clockers when the internal clock system of the Yggy is already one of the best in the world, as well as having class-leading jitter specs.

My apologies, I misunderstood.  I thought you meant that there was no need to do other than use straight USB.  My experience with the Yellowtec has me following what rb2013 has been doing with USB converters, linear power supplies, etc.  Interesting stuff:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/829639/usb-strikes-back-watch-out-aoip-usb-ethernet-chain-beats-all-at-least-for-me/300

I assumed we were talking about whether a device like the Singxer or the PUC2 Lite helps with the Yggy (PC usb out to SIngxer/PUC2 >> Spdif/AES to Yggy) instead of going straight from PC USB to Yggy USB. Seems like there IS a benefit of using the AES/SPDIF instead of the USB. AES is considered the best apparently from what I understand. Now what would be considered the best USB to AES device under a reasonable price of let's say USD 400 or so?

I thought like that as well until I actually heard what a properly setup digital audio setup can do.

USB, no matter how well implemented just doesn't really hold up to the more deliberately designed for digital audio methods of delivery (aes, spdif…)
At least for me and my setup and those I have heard.

And I too thought that my 2-Wyrd USB feed into my dac was really good, until AOIP with an added Mutec 3+ (reclocker) completely outclassed it.

JJ

How much do you think is the benefit of using the Singxer compared to the USB?

Jan 17, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #3,823 of 12,194
It would be nice to know it the new project is useful with a DAC or if it is a replacement.

Jan 17, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #3,824 of 12,194
^ If by 'the new project' you mean Manhattan, Jason answered - too long ago for me to try and find it - Manhattan is not a DAC replacement

Jan 17, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #3,825 of 12,194

1. The Yggdrasil is still generally considered the best DAC at this price point, right? 

3. Is it generally recommended to go balanced at this level? I've always used the single ended stock cable for my HD 800. 

4. Is there any reason to think that pairing the Yggdrasil with the DNA Stratus and HD 800 wouldn't work? That is, is there any reason to think they wouldn't compliment each other particularly well? 

Thanks all!

1) depends on who ask. I think it is. YMMV
2) I own Sonos equipment, including a ZP90 modded by Wyred4Sound and it is a weak link; I don't use it for critical listening, only for "party" mode when we have people over. I'd use either a SOtM or mRendu instead. Which is better? Depends on who you ask.
3) when I owned the HD800 I preferred balanced.
4) I don't know.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back