Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jan 10, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #3,751 of 12,282
  I'm over 30k into audio equipment, and I still use Spotify / Gmusic. 
I get told all the time how flac/vinyl etc... is miles ahead, whelp, guess what, I like listening to music.... right?

I work from home, listen to 30-40hr of music a week total.
I'll go thru 50 artists, 100 tracks a day. Not possible with CD, not possible with local flac unless you pirate or are ultra rich, not possible with vinyl. 

+1 on music listening.  Sometimes I like old time album listening rather than playlist random"tivity".  Some times (rarely) I want to listen to something so old it is not available on digital.

That means that - sometimes I listen to random streamed schiit, sometimes a whole CD, and sometimes even a LP.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 10, 2017 at 4:50 AM Post #3,752 of 12,282
  I'll go thru 50 artists, 100 tacks a day. Not possible with CD, not possible with local flac unless you pirate or are ultra rich, not possible with vinyl. 

How about tidal hifi? :wink:

I still can "enjoy music" with my apple earpods, though the fit is bad they sound decent. There will always be improvement and research in "technology" and there will be people who appreciate them. It will take years before DSD or MQA will reach the masses, maybe they even wont.

Personally, I didn't find Tidal hifi to be twice better than Apple Music for the subscription price. Just my 2 cents.

Jan 10, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #3,753 of 12,282

I never realized it while nagging, browbeating, and in general abusing Jason until he went for the proper large bottled 6SN7s in Saga and Freya.  Nope, did not think of it at all until I read your comments.  The addition of a Saga (which I have) or a Freya (which is still too new for me to have - shipping to clients only until initial demand is fulfilled) in passive  6SN7 buffered mode adds euphones which I can well be seduced by.  The 6SN7 as a buffer is warm, comforting, and relaxing.  This particularly so when listening to recordings on the brighter side, such as DG classical releases.  The inaudible low levels of noise added almost functions as a form of analog dither.  Minimalists can then use the unbuffered passive functions of the Saga or Freya for highest resolution, no matter how *** good the tube buffer sounds.  Yup, I use it as a configurable analog output stage for my Yggy.  Thanks, everyone for pointing this out!  Can't wait to get another for my Gumby!

Sounds like what I am suggesting will work!  Excellent: thank you, Sir!!

So this will not damage a Yggy or Gumby?

Jan 10, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #3,754 of 12,282

Sounds like what I am suggesting will work!  Excellent: thank you, Sir!!

So this will not damage a Yggy or Gumby?

Using a Schiit DAC with a Schiit preamp should not damage either one.

Jan 10, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #3,756 of 12,282
So stereophile just published a review of the Yggdrasil. They realy loved it!

Herb, the subjective reviewer, liked it.  JA, the measurements guy / editor, found some odd things he questioned.

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #3,759 of 12,282
Herb, the subjective reviewer, liked it.  JA, the measurements guy / editor, found some odd things he questioned.

Would you mind sharing what he questioned?

Jan 11, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #3,760 of 12,282

Is it in the same as their review of Ragnarok?

Jan 11, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #3,761 of 12,282
Jan 11, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #3,762 of 12,282

Using a Schiit DAC with a Schiit preamp should not damage either one.

Yes, but the question was in a context: Schiit Dac + Schiit preamp + headphones from the rca or xlr out. And, with the risk of looking stupid, I must admit I didn't quite get the answer. Please bear with me:

Gumby (or Yggdrasil) --> Freya (passive) --> RCA to jack adaptor --> Akg K501 for example is OK?
What about the same setup but with Freya in active (tubed) mode?

I know it's not ideal, but that is not the point. There's a very good chance I will purchase the Freya later this year and I might want to use my Stax and my AKG headphones at the same time (me and my wife, that is).

Jan 11, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #3,763 of 12,282

Yes, but the question was in a context: Schiit Dac + Schiit preamp + headphones from the rca or xlr out. And, with the risk of looking stupid, I must admit I didn't quite get the answer. Please bear with me:

Gumby (or Yggdrasil) --> Freya (passive) --> RCA to jack adaptor --> Akg K501 for example is OK?

I know it's not ideal, but that is not the point. There's a very good chance I will purchase the Freya later this year and I might want to use my Stax and my AKG headphones at the same time (me and my wife, that is).

So you want to drive the headphones from the line-level output of the DAC using either passive attenuation or active tube gain?

Looking at the AKG K501 and Schiit pieces, the relevant specs seem to be:

Sens: 94dB mW
Impedance: 120 ohm

Yggy/Gumby output impedance: 75 ohm
Freya output impedance: 75 ohm SE, 600 balanced

Following the "1/8th or less rule", we would want anything feeding the K501 to have an output impedance of 15 ohms (120/8) or less.  Neither the DACs nor the Freya match this.

There may be other factors at play that I'm ignoring, but the quick cocktail napkin math suggests to me that it's not a great idea.

Jan 11, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #3,764 of 12,282

Do you have something against using a amp for the Akg's?

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #3,765 of 12,282
Would you mind sharing what he questioned?

He (JA) didn't like the noise floor behavior and he didn't like the glitch energy at the zero-crossing point.

Said digital filter needed to be optimized a bit more.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back