Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jan 15, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #3,796 of 12,285
Odd, My Mutec MC-3+ USB doesn't sound metallic at all on my Windows PC.   If anything it's by a fair amount the least Metallic (digital) sounding converter I've heard to date.
I will say this though....  to get the best out of the Mutec, I have found (rather ironically) it's ideal to not use any audiophile software that may be installed on ones PC. 
-- Fidelizer, JPlay, Process Lasso, etc.... all seem to contribute to a more "digital" sounding result with the Mutec. 
YMMV, but I find The MC-3+ seems to do noticeably better on it's own along with setting Minimum Latency for the USB streaming mode in the control panel.

I use a MAC mini and Audirvana Plus. The Mutek just did not seem to work with my combo. Glad it works in yours.

Jan 15, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #3,797 of 12,285
I have been set with my Sonos/Bifrost/Valhalla 2/HD 800 rig for over two years now but I am thinking about making a big jump to the Yggdrasil and an end game amplifier such as the DNA Stratus. I am slowing making my way through this thread, but I figured I would ask you guys a few questions up front:

1. The Yggdrasil is still generally considered the best DAC at this price point, right? 

2. What do I need to know about incorporating the Yggdrasil into my rig? Is there any reason that streaming FLAC from my external HD to the Sonos Connect: Amp to the Yggdrasil would pose issues? If so, what are some possible solutions?

3. Is it generally recommended to go balanced at this level? I've always used the single ended stock cable for my HD 800. 

4. Is there any reason to think that pairing the Yggdrasil with the DNA Stratus and HD 800 wouldn't work? That is, is there any reason to think they wouldn't compliment each other particularly well? 

Thanks all!

Jan 16, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #3,799 of 12,285
Owner of a Yggy now (Still have the Glass :wink: ).

Do you guys find any big differences between inputs? I'm using USB but im wondering if something like the singxer SU-1 is any good for the Yggy to try different inputs?

I'll sell you mine... it's just broken in and in perfect condition. I don't need it after buying the Aries. It's collecting dust. PM me if interested.

Jan 16, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #3,800 of 12,285

Do you guys find any big differences between inputs? I'm using USB but im wondering if something like the singxer SU-1 is any good for the Yggy to try different inputs?

Glass??

Jan 16, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #3,801 of 12,285

The Yggy has a nice asynchronus USB input.

AES-EBU might have some advantages if you have device that outputs native AES-EBU, but I don't think I'd want to introduce another box into the chain, with the possibility of introducing more noise, just to try to make a format conversion.

Jan 16, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #3,803 of 12,285

http://www.head-fi.org/t/667711/new-schiit-ragnarok-and-yggdrasil/6555#post_11565624
http://www.head-fi.org/t/667711/new-schiit-ragnarok-and-yggdrasil/6495#post_11562941

Ali

Jan 16, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #3,805 of 12,285

The Yggy has a nice asynchronus USB input.

AES-EBU might have some advantages if you have device that outputs native AES-EBU, but I don't think I'd want to introduce another box into the chain, with the possibility of introducing more noise, just to try to make a format conversion.

In my system (not even a Jggy) there is no "might have some advantages".
It is rather evident to hear the upgrade in SQ over any other input (SPDIF (both flavors), USB, etc.).

As for "the possibility of introducing more noise", the SQ improvement from "another box in the chain" (AOIP) is so obvious that "even a person who wears hearing aids will be able to hear the difference" to quote an audio friend of mine.

Just say'n is all.

JJ

Jan 16, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #3,806 of 12,285
  In my system (not even a Jggy) there is no "might have some advantages".
It is rather evident to hear the upgrade in SQ over any other input (SPDIF (both flavors), USB, etc.).

As for "the possibility of introducing more noise", the SQ improvement from "another box in the chain" (AOIP) is so obvious that "even a person who wears hearing aids will be able to hear the difference" to quote an audio friend of mine.

Just say'n is all.

JJ

I too use, and enjoy, AOIP.

But the specific question, and comment, wasn't about that, in general.  It was about one of these (which has nothing to do with AOIP):

https://www.shenzhenaudio.com/singxer-su-1-usb-digital-interface-with-xmos-xu208-cpld-dsd256-dop.html

And knowing how Chinese audio can be a crap shoot from a quality control point of view, I'd certainly want to see some noise measurements on the Singxer before suggesting it was necessarily an improvement on asynchronous USB.

Jan 17, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #3,807 of 12,285
Those considering Singxer, bel canto, audiophilleo, etc. boxes, keep in mind that it isn't just a different input and cable. These boxes replace Schiit's Gen 3 with a complete outboard USB implementation from another manufacturer, which might be better or worse than Schiit's Gen 3, and will be different from each other. There's no spec to tell how they sound; trying one for several hours listening is the only way, IME.

Jan 17, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #3,808 of 12,285
I understand.
And I have heard the SU-1 in direct comparison to an AOIP setup and they are actually quite close.

And there is a reason why most who use a decent DDC to get away from USB rarely go back.
Not to mention a re-clocker between the DDC and the dac as well.

All of these implementations add yet more boxes in the digital audio chain, which is counterintuitive to maximizing SQ.
Yet the results are very hard to ignore.

JJ

Jan 17, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #3,809 of 12,285

Not to mention a re-clocker between the DDC and the dac as well.

The Yggy already has its own clock regeneration and management system and amazingly good jitter, below  - 145 dBFS.

Additional external clocks are just superfluous.

Jan 17, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #3,810 of 12,285
I thought like that as well until I actually heard what a properly setup digital audio setup can do.

USB, no matter how well implemented just doesn't really hold up to the more deliberately designed for digital audio methods of delivery (aes, spdif…)
At least for me and my setup and those I have heard.

And I too thought that my 2-Wyrd USB feed into my dac was really good, until AOIP with an added Mutec 3+ (reclocker) completely outclassed it.

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back