Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jan 5, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #3,706 of 12,283
I'm reading up about the Yggy and the thing that puts me off the Yggy is that it sounds worse from SE output and my Liquid Glass amp is SE only. I wish there was some work around to it, other than changing my amp which I really like.

Seriously, you have to sometimes (?! perhaps all the time???) take what you read around here with a grain of salt. Although my speaker amp takes balanced, my Decware preamp/headamp is SE only and...sounds incredible with Yggrasil. Everything that's been written about how Yggy sounds balanced matches my observations with the Decware and either Audeze LCD-3F or Sennheiser HD 800.

Some have reported large differences between the SE and balanced outputs, others - admittedly fewer - little or none. I haven't bothered to test the difference. Yggy - even SE - is hands down more capable than any DAC I've owned in the 10 years since I bought my first stand-alone DAC.

YMMV but I honestly would not worry about it.

Jan 5, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #3,707 of 12,283
Seriously, you have to sometimes (?! perhaps all the time???) take what you read around here with a grain of salt. Although my speaker amp takes balanced, my Decware preamp/headamp is SE only and...sounds incredible with Yggrasil. Everything that's been written about how Yggy sounds balanced matches my observations with the Decware and either Audeze LCD-3F or Sennheiser HD 800.

Some have reported large differences between the SE and balanced outputs, others - admittedly fewer - little or none. I haven't bothered to test the difference. Yggy - even SE - is hands down more capable than any DAC I've owned in the 10 years since I bought my first stand-alone DAC.

YMMV but I honestly would not worry about it.

Completely agree.  I run Yggy out both SE and balanced and I detect no perceptible difference between the outputs.  It's excellent either way.

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #3,708 of 12,283
Yggy provides 4V output via balanced and 2V via SE. It is very easy to mistake it as better SQ via balanced. It is like having a preamp in the chain or not. It is more dependent on the capability of the amp. 

Jan 6, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #3,709 of 12,283
  I'm reading up about the Yggy and the thing that puts me off the Yggy is that it sounds worse from SE output and my Liquid Glass amp is SE only. I wish there was some work around to it, other than changing my amp which I really like.

Time to upgrade to a balanced amp.

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:05 AM Post #3,710 of 12,283

Ditch the Liquid Glass and get the YGGY......    Thank me later.......   
wink_face.gif

Jan 6, 2017 at 5:53 AM Post #3,711 of 12,283
I've done hundreds of hours of Yggy with my MJ2, Raggy, and Jody in various combos of SE/SE/Bal. The differences are just not that earth shaking between SE and Balanced and even between the 3 headphone amps in general. I've done repeated A/B/C listening to tracks on each of the amps (volume matched with a sound level meter in advance) all running at the same time and taking only seconds to move the HP from one amp output to the next before repeating a track.

There are subtle differences to be sure, some may be apparent quickly, I found some that took many listening hours using a wide variety of music to get a handle on and come to a conclusion about (for my listening tastes). And even then, these differences are just not the order of magnitudes that will end up in print by (especially) many pro reviewers. 

Jan 6, 2017 at 6:02 AM Post #3,712 of 12,283

How about adding a Freya in between? :grinning:

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #3,713 of 12,283
How about adding a Freya in between? :grinning:

Seems that there will be too many devices in the chain eliminating the benefits of getting the Yggy.

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #3,714 of 12,283
I've been using my Yggy with the Studio Six, which is SE only. Also, while it isn't a completely balanced amp internally, the APEX Sangaku, which is a touch harmonically warm-sounding, was a great match as well.

Jan 7, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #3,715 of 12,283
  Seems that there will be too many devices in the chain eliminating the benefits of getting the Yggy.

I cannot see why it will eliminate the benefits of the Yggy. But I agree that it is adding one more device in the chain. 

Jan 7, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #3,716 of 12,283
TIDAL has started streaming MQA and is expected to encode their entire library.

Has anyone seen any update from Schiit to upgrade their dacs to support MQA. I know when they released yggy they said they would not support MQA, because they said like hires it would never catch on because of licensing and adoption.

Reviews by audiogon members have been very positive and are reporting the improvements due to preringing.

As I type into my iPhone and watch any movie, pull up weather radar, stream any artist I want to hear..., expecting digital audio format quality to not improve is not in line with what is occurring today. The rate of change we saw in video resolution is clearly coming to audio.

My music collection already contains 5 percent hires out of 2tb. I would like to be able to play it.

I look forward to Schiit upgrades on yggy. There is plenty of space inside for more surface mount boards. They have created a wonderful product and being upgradeable is so necessary in evolving digital audio.

Jan 7, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #3,718 of 12,283
Yggy user here. Given that Schiit has been vocally and almost militantly against MQA/DSD previously, difficult to see them backing away from their stance, though I'd love to see them pragmatically adapt to support MQA as I now use Tidal for 90+% of listening.. #fingerscrossed

Jan 7, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #3,719 of 12,283
I have a question...

I'm a big fan of running an 'ampless' system.  For example, I use to have a Bricasti M1 and with XLR gender changers one can plug dual 3-pin XLR connectors to the XLR out, use the built in volume control and voila!  You have an all in one, very transparent rig.  Now, you have to be careful when doing this because it can harm some DACs (as far as I know) and you need a DAC with a volume control.  If you are unfamiliar with this, please check the Bricasti M1 thread for details.  This is also how the DAVE works (it does not have an 'amp').

I am looking at the Schiit Freya + Yggdrasil combo and I am thinking this would essentially allow for the same in passive mode.  I realize one could spend less and get a Jotunheim but I am trying to eliminate a gain stage, though using the pre-outs on the the Jot would also be an option.

Anyway, has anyone considered or tried this with a Gumby/Yggy?

Jan 7, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #3,720 of 12,283
You must be running very sensitive headphones/iems for that kind of setup to sound good. Less in the path is one thing for sound quality but not enough to properly drive you cans also will negatively effect things. 

Just from looking at the specs they both output 4v balanced and 2v single ended. But the yggy has an impedance of 75ohm and the Bricasti M1 has an impedance of 40ohm so that could cause a matching issue with what you are driving. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back