Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jan 4, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #3,691 of 12,282
Hello can anyone recommend a good computer that will recognize and work with my Yggdrasil. I mighty get a mac.

A mac!  Ahh I see you found your answer... I couldn't agree more. I wish all questions on the thread were this easy to answer
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #3,692 of 12,282

Been running an iMac with the Yggy for 6 months. Sound was very nice. Went to a Small Green Computer sonicTransporter ST8 and have been transported to another level of magic. With the microrendu the sound is revelatory. IMHO getting away from the PC/Mac configuration would be a bonus. If not, my iMac has been better than just OK.

Jan 4, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #3,693 of 12,282
Hello can anyone recommend a good computer that will recognize and work with my Yggdrasil. I mighty get a mac.
My old 2010 MacBook Pro has no problems with the Yggy at all . You can go optical or usb.

Jan 4, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #3,694 of 12,282

I use both a windows desktop and a mac. While the windows need the drivers to work the mac doesn't, that's pretty much it. Haven't heard a difference in the sound quality, if you are buying a mac only for this purpose then I wouldn't recommend.

Jan 4, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #3,695 of 12,282

If you are buying iMac just for music and have an iPhone, would recommend using camera adapter with active USB hub with iPhone instead. Less of investment and better sound when I compared it with Windows laptop feeding Yggy.

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #3,697 of 12,282

Previously had Windoz/Jplay/Yggy. Excellent sound but I got sick of driver install/uninstall any time I changed USB interface or dacs, especially at meets.

When my wife upgraded her iMac, I got her hand-me-down. Excellent sound again with iMac/Audirvana+/Yggy, and VERY happy to not be fiddling with drivers.

In either case it's important to use a good player and optimize the computer for audio playback.

IMO
YMWV

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:13 AM Post #3,698 of 12,282

Been running an iMac with the Yggy for 6 months. Sound was very nice. Went to a Small Green Computer sonicTransporter ST8 and have been transported to another level of magic. With the microrendu the sound is revelatory. IMHO getting away from the PC/Mac configuration would be a bonus. If not, my iMac has been better than just OK.

I use both a windows desktop and a mac. While the windows need the drivers to work the mac doesn't, that's pretty much it. Haven't heard a difference in the sound quality, if you are buying a mac only for this purpose then I wouldn't recommend.

What software player and settings did you use on the Mac?

Jan 5, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #3,699 of 12,282

I forgot to mention I always used them with the wyrd. Though, yggy renders wyrd useless, there was a lot of difference in the desktop usb port when I had the gumby.
On the macbook I use Vox player and tidal for lossless and apple music. I set the output to 24/96 in the audio midi settings.
On the windows, I use foobar 2000 asio event.

Jan 5, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #3,700 of 12,282

On Baldr's thread he mentions the computer he uses fairly early on.

Jan 5, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #3,701 of 12,282

I'm running AMD based PCs at the office and home. My Schiit works fine once I download the USB driver from Schiit. 

Can anyone tell me if the balanced and SE outputs on Yggdrasil are active at the same time? Sorry, I'm at work Yggy is at home.

ray

Jan 5, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #3,702 of 12,282

Can anyone tell me if the balanced and SE outputs on Yggdrasil are active at the same time? Sorry, I'm at work Yggy is at home.

Yes

I used Yggdrasil at a meet earlier this year to drive 3 amplifiers directly, and a fourth via a pass-thru
tongue.gif

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #3,703 of 12,282
I've used my Yggy to drive my MJ2, Jot, & Rag, (sometimes I substitute the Class A amplifier in my Oppo HA-1), all at the same time for some A/B/C listening comparisons.

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #3,704 of 12,282

I used Audirvana Plus for a time and Amarra(did not like the interface). Thought Audirvana sounded great on the iMac till it lost my iTunes library and then I was limited to what it was playing from other folders. I've used Roon since sometime in 2015, I've a lifetime subscription-love the metadata. I feel like it sounds great once you get their settings right.

I'm not a real tweaker(take it how you want), I find the settings that sound right to me and pretty much leave it alone. Our ears are different. I never buy speakers in the main listening area without my wife, she can hear things I don't.

Joe

Jan 5, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #3,705 of 12,282
I'm reading up about the Yggy and the thing that puts me off the Yggy is that it sounds worse from SE output and my Liquid Glass amp is SE only. I wish there was some work around to it, other than changing my amp which I really like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back