Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
May 16, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #2,446 of 12,398
I think my AirPort Extreme has a USB slot for HDD. Can I plug my HDD with music there or should it connect to an ethernet wired comp or server like u mentioned?
I don't know all that USB port can do, but I thought it was for a printer. I got rid of my Apple networking gear a while ago, though, so it could have changed.

May 16, 2016 at 3:33 AM Post #2,447 of 12,398
I think my AirPort Extreme has a USB slot for HDD. Can I plug my HDD with music there or should it connect to an ethernet wired comp or server like u mentioned?
I don't know all that USB port can do, but I thought it was for a printer. I got rid of my Apple networking gear a while ago, though, so it could have changed.

Tech changes fast. No worries. Only way to find out is to try it out. :)

May 16, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #2,448 of 12,398
For those that are very satisfied with the Yiggy, what DAC's did you come from?  I'm especially interested in those that "downgraded"  price wise to the Yiggy from other more expensive DACs.  What made you choose the Yiggy?  

Not being close to a good audiophile store, I can only read reviews but that is not at all close to auditioning myself.  I've read Hugo TT, Meitner, and PS brought up which are 2-3x more.  The Vega is slightly more expensive but in the ballpark.

I'm about to upgrade my DAC (Woo Audio) and am strongly considering the Yiggy.  

May 16, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #2,449 of 12,398
  For those that are very satisfied with the Yiggy, what DAC's did you come from?  I'm especially interested in those that "downgraded"  price wise to the Yiggy from other more expensive DACs.  What made you choose the Yiggy?  

Not being close to a good audiophile store, I can only read reviews but that is not at all close to auditioning myself.  I've read Hugo TT, Meitner, and PS brought up which are 2-3x more.  The Vega is slightly more expensive but in the ballpark.

I'm about to upgrade my DAC (Woo Audio) and am strongly considering the Yiggy.  

I don't own a Yggy but based on what I've heard and seen I wouldn't hesitate to purchase it unless I was planning on spending over 6-7k $$ on a DAC.

There is a guy selling a EMM Labs DAC2X on Head-fi for that price used (it is a $15k DAC). NVM he closed up the listing  a few days ago after numerous price drops.

May 16, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #2,450 of 12,398

Offering two colors doubles all of your stockable finished good part numbers.  Jason is smart to go one color only.

I can offer an educated guess why black ones pop up sometimes:  if the metal supplier has screwed up the finish in some way doing an acid etch, black dye ano and nickel based hot seal finisher is a good way to salvage it and have it still look good.  Light scratches and scuffs along with mistakes in the graining process can be corrected like this, you just end up with a color you don't normally sell/stock.

No rose gold yggy?! But it would look so great with my apple watch!

May 16, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #2,451 of 12,398
I don't own a Yggy but based on what I've heard and seen I wouldn't hesitate to purchase it unless I was planning on spending over 6-7k $$ on a DAC.

There is a guy selling a EMM Labs DAC2X on Head-fi for that price used (it is a $15k DAC). NVM he closed up the listing  a few days ago after numerous price drops.
I'm that 'some guy' . Local fella is doing a home demo so it may or may not be available come Wednesday. Incredible DAC. PM me if interested. Cheers

May 17, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #2,452 of 12,398

Among dacs previously in house, Bifrost, Benchmark, Metrum Octave.

Questions to myself considering dac purchase last Spring -- what format is most of my music in? 90% 16/44 rips, thousands of cds. Which dac gives redbook highest priority? Yggy.

New (and continuing) question to myself -- how does Yggy wring all this vital musical information out of "lowly" 16/44? Doesn't matter.

As an old audiophool, in recent years I've been buying gear that addresses my real tasks at hand. Listening and smiling! 

May 18, 2016 at 5:04 AM Post #2,453 of 12,398
Just ordered an Yggy (and it was in stock for European voltage) - should be here in a few days. Going to pair it was my WA22 as well as my integrated/speaker setup (good to have multiple outs, finally).

May 18, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #2,454 of 12,398
Just ordered an Yggy (and it was in stock for European voltage) - should be here in a few days. Going to pair it was my WA22 as well as my integrated/speaker setup (good to have multiple outs, finally).

Welcom to the club, you won't regret the choice 
beerchug.gif

May 18, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #2,455 of 12,398
I'm exploring an upgrade path to use with my Audeze LCD-Xs, but need to do it a step at a time. I've  been using the Magni2/Modi2 combo and I'm inclined to continue with Schiit products. Is there a minimum amplification quality that I need before it makes sense to add the Yggi. I could go the next step with Mjolner/Gungnir combo, but I'm pretty clear that I want to end up with a Yggi-quality DAC + amp (not clear yet about tube or SS).  Adding the Yggi to the Magni2 would be the other interim path.  Good idea? Bad Idea? Ugly idea?

May 18, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #2,456 of 12,398
Thanks! My go-to DAC (Wavelength Crimson) decided to sputter out - and it doesn't seem to be an issue with the tubes (I tried 2 sets of replacements, and it is still borked). So I'm taking the opportunity to try the Schiit as it ticks a lot of boxes for me, and the price is right. Hope it lives up to the hype!

May 18, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #2,457 of 12,398
  I'm exploring an upgrade path to use with my Audeze LCD-Xs, but need to do it a step at a time. I've  been using the Magni2/Modi2 combo and I'm inclined to continue with Schiit products. Is there a minimum amplification quality that I need before it makes sense to add the Yggi. I could go the next step with Mjolner/Gungnir combo, but I'm pretty clear that I want to end up with a Yggi-quality DAC + amp (not clear yet about tube or SS).  Adding the Yggi to the Magni2 would be the other interim path.  Good idea? Bad Idea? Ugly idea?

From various reports, I think that Yggy & Magni 2 (at the very least Uber) would be too imbalanced. Short of Ragnarok, I suspect Mjolnir 2 would scale well with Yggy, and as a bonus you get to roll SS or tubes as per your heart's desires...

May 18, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #2,458 of 12,398

From various reports, I think that Yggy & Magni 2 (at the very least Uber) would be too imbalanced. Short of Ragnarok, I suspect Mjolnir 2 would scale well with Yggy, and as a bonus you get to roll SS or tubes as per your heart's desires...

This sounds right—I would probably want an amp that can do balanced. Whether that means Liquid Carbon, Mjolnir 2, or something electrostatic is obviously up to one's tastes. 

May 18, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #2,459 of 12,398

I see this a little differently. if McClelland will likely go up to a Yggy at some point, just get it now! To me this makes a lot more sense than incremental upgrades. The Yggy/Magni combo may be an uneven combo in the interim, but it will be functional and provide a clear upgrade path as he saves for a Mjolnir or Ragnarok or something from another manufacturer. In addition, there will be no doubt as to whether the DAC is good enough to carry him forward.

May 18, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #2,460 of 12,398

I see this a little differently. if McClelland will likely go up to a Yggy at some point, just get it now! To me this makes a lot more sense than incremental upgrades. The Yggy/Magni combo may be an uneven combo in the interim, but it will be functional and provide a clear upgrade path as he saves for a Mjolnir or Ragnarok or something from another manufacturer. In addition, there will be no doubt as to whether the DAC is good enough to carry him forward.

Completely agree. Plunge for the vital source component now (assuming you're feeding it quality lossless files) and you'll not regret it. You can explore the amp world later with a reference dac in hand.

IMOYMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back