Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Mar 26, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #2,221 of 12,398
Speaking about impressions, you guys might want to check April's 'Hi-Fi+' - there's a familiar DAC on the cover...

They review both the Yggy and the Rangarok very favourably over 8 pages... The qoute at the end says it all:

'Rarely have I been as favourably impressed by a DAC and headphone ampli er as I have been by the Yggdrasil and Ragnarok. Though neither component comes anywhere near being the most expensive offering in its respective class, both offer performance at or near the best levels possible, regardless of price. For that reason alone, Yggdrasil and Ragnarok both deserve the heartiest of recommendations.' 

Mar 28, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #2,223 of 12,398
Reading Jason's latest chapter, here is a comment he made...

"And I live by my beliefs that our products sound different, as well. My “main stack” is Mjolnir 2/Gungnir Multibit, not Ragnarok/Yggdrasil. Mjolnir 2 is a warmer, wetter, “happier” amp than Ragnarok, and Gungnir Multibit is also a bit more euphonic than Yggy. The combo may not be the absolute ultimate word in resolution and transparency, but I like the way it sounds better than our top stack."

Very interesting comment, from his heart and ears!

Mar 31, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #2,228 of 12,398
  Thanks for the ideas. My short term fix thus far was to change the boot sequense to go direct to my ssd. I reached out to the card tech support, and they brought up power. Your idea might be in the same scope of the issue. I have not hooked up the card to my power supply because I did not have the l4 power cord. I'll try that, and your idea this week when I get the power cord to drive the card directly from the PS. Thx.

Has anyone moved to a dedicated USB card for their yggy and run into a boot problem? I installed a USB 2.0 card to move the yggy to it's own dedicated usb controller.  I keep the yggy powered on, so when the computer starts it's boot, it gets hung up. I am making the assumption that it is waiting for the yggy to give it boot instructions. I did not run into this when it was plugged into the motherboard USB 2.0 and if I unplug the USB line from the yggy, it boots fine. I went into my bio's to see if I could play with the boot configuration, but that led me nowhere. Any ideas or clues?

Try plugging the Yggy and the computer into a powered hub, it sounds like the 3rdparty USB card on the computer failed to reset on powerup with the Yggy plugged in.

If the hub fixes the problem, see if another card from a different chip manufacturer works, the 2 main ones are Renesas and Via, if you have a Via chip swap it for a card with a Renesas chip or vice versa.

Just an update to these earlier comments if anyone ever searches something like this out. It was a power issue with the card. Once I hooked the card to my power supply, all is well. No start-up issues.

Apr 1, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #2,230 of 12,398
After 2300, what's another 99 for Wyrd? seems like a no-brainer. I wonder though how hard it would be to build Wyrd into the high-end dacs.

Apr 1, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #2,232 of 12,398
Wait, wyrd is recommended for yggy?

It made no audible difference for me with Yggdrasil when I was playing around with USB "de-crapifiers".  Not to say it won't make a difference with some USB outputs, but off my Mac Pro and Mac Book Pro it had no audible effect.

However, if you have port power-management issues then Wyrd can resolve those since it also acts like a single-port powered hub.

Apr 3, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #2,234 of 12,398
Wait, wyrd is recommended for yggy?

I don't use one.  Just straight USB, no issues.

As for Yggy burn-in, I strongly recommend new owners listen and enjoy the journey rather than just run it continuously and check in after 150 hours.  The changes it undergoes are quite fascinating and made for a really interesting couple of weeks worth of listening.  I'd liken it to an impulse response wave dying out, as time goes on the swings in sound get milder until one day the line goes flat and it just sounds right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back