Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jan 23, 2016 at 6:22 AM Post #1,561 of 12,398
The fuse could of been designed as a simple finger screw in type on the back cover without incurring addition liability.

True...  but that doesn't stop someone chopping down a six-inch nail and inserting it in the fuseholder....   This is commonly called the bush-fix..  
wink_face.gif

Jan 23, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #1,566 of 12,398
Cool, thanks for that. I wonder if we'll see a volume and dsd added to the yggy this year perhaps.

Probably not. It doesn't have an internal amp so there's no reason for a volume knob (if you need an external volume controller they have the "Schiit Sys"). DSD is another passing fad (people are already figuring out it has its own issues, as does MQA) and Schiit knows it. 
beerchug.gif

Jan 23, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #1,567 of 12,398
I'm considering a yiggy vs. a gumby upgrade, and was wondering how often the "b" stock is available, can we get on a list etc.
edit: never mind I figured it out
rolleyes.gif

Jan 23, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #1,569 of 12,398
Cool, thanks for that. I wonder if we'll see a volume and dsd added to the yggy this year perhaps.

Haha, if you're waiting for DSD you're going to be waiting a long time. They've already said they aren't going to add it unless it becomes a significant part of the market, and apparently it's decreasing, not increasing.

Jan 23, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #1,570 of 12,398
Re DSD.

With the announcement and current press furore over MQA, I'd say DSD is well and truly done now.

MQA, after all, offers the promise of being deliverable over streaming services like Tidal, which is a HUGE advantage in terms of adoption when compared to DSD. If the vig for getting millions of MQA tracks is $20 per month (or even more), that is substantially better than $20-30 per album for (non-streamable due to bandwidth) DSD. 

However, note the operative term "if."

But let's start with the calming statement: our DACs, from Bifrost on up, are 100% upgradable, so if it becomes a significant part of the market, I suspect we won't have a problem accommodating MQA (or any other future format they dream up.)*

*I added the words "I suspect", because there is currently confusion as to whether MQA requires hardware participation on the DAC side, or if it can be done by a software player like JRiver. If it can be done in software, well, there you go...no DAC changes necessary. Get a player that supports it, and you're set.

However, if you're talking hardware participation, that starts getting into a lot of "ifs."

If...A/B demos show a clear advantage for MQA (I don't think there have been public A/Bs.)
If...MQA is adopted by more studios (which have to pay license fees for it.)
If...MQA is going to be applied to Tidal's complete library, not just a small percentage of it.
If...Tidal doesn't go boom (its competitors are not particularly healthy--and we are Tidal subscribers, we're not anti-Tidal.)
If...Apple, Google, or some other media giant doesn't release their own competing high res offering, with many more tracks.
If...MQA doesn't muck up the experience on non-MQA products. 
If...we are comfortable ceding control over the entire encode/decode process to a relatively small audio company.
If...MQA licenses and royalties aren't onerous for DAC manufacturers (remember, both studios and manufacturers pay Meridian.)

Then, well, we'll see. But that's a lot of ifs.

So excuse us if we sit back for a while and see how this plays out, as we did with DSD, while supporting the only digital format that has been with us for over 30 years to the absolute best of our capability: linear PCM. 

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 23, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #1,571 of 12,398
I was reading up on MQA, and some measurements suggest that "CD-quality" MQA is actually lower quality than regular PCM. 

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/blogs/miska/some-analysis-and-comparison-mqa-encoded-flac-vs-normal-optimized-hires-flac-674/

Jan 23, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #1,572 of 12,398
So, Jason, I am buying a Yiggy and a Ragg in the next 3 months. Should I wait a bit longer for the Ragg 2 and / or a Yiggy upgrade?

Jan 23, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #1,573 of 12,398
  Re DSD.

With the announcement and current press furore over MQA, I'd say DSD is well and truly done now.

As will be MQA as the public slowly realizes the implicit depreciation of all of their current software and sputters, at best, in their lack of rush to buy, and finally as the bored press finds its next bloated unicorn to interest readers.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 23, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #1,575 of 12,398
  Hmm, what the Frigg? It seems that that troublemaker Loki is nowhere to be found. Has Baldr, seeing the writing on the wall,  taken care of him and expelled him from the Schiitfest?  Hmm... 
confused.gif

Not writing on the wall. 

Hard counts of sales, an empirical reading of the market that speaks strongly. Jason or Mike wrote about this a while ago. 

(edit: on second thought, the phrase "writing on the wall" could be derived from an ancient practice of keeping track of sales by making hash marks on the wall.) 

(edit: on third thought, Google and Wikipedia tell me that the origin of "writing on the wall" seems unambiguous, and is unrelated to any archaic methods of accounting!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back