Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jan 21, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #1,546 of 12,477

Screened on the back of every one of our products are the words "No user-serviceable parts inside."

This is to protect us, in the Litigious States of America, from those who would attempt to mod it...while it is plugged in...while they are taking a bath. Don't laugh. 

Sorry, pictured it in my mind... then LMAO!

biggrin.gif

If there's a will, there's most certainly a way...
(At least with those who have a Darwin complex)

Jan 21, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #1,549 of 12,477
Actually, the way I look at it, they are taking great responsibility for the product by giving a 5 year warranty and the fuse would be part of that warranty since it is not user serviceable. That is some high confidence in their work they have.

Jan 21, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #1,550 of 12,477
Love my ygg but the blind fan base is overwhelmingly strong here.  I've seen this before many a time and there is little upside.  

It is a fuse.  Allow Schitt to fend for themselves.  They're perfectly competent to do so... 

HS

Jan 22, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #1,551 of 12,477

Yes Yggy is a bit like Fort Knox to get into ( I believe I made this same comment in an earlier post.....)  But it surely can be done - at the risk of voiding your warranty!

The fuse you are looking for is: 5x20mm / slow blo / 630ma / 250V  ----- NOTE: This is for the North American version.  Yggy's destined for other world markets may have different fuse spec's.

If you choose to take the risk of opening your Yggy - take your time!  There's lots of screws to remove and one data cable connected to the front panel that needs to be disconnected.
Also, Yggy is quite heavy, so open it on a stable surface - Table etc... where you have ample room to work.  When putting it back together, remember to not over-tighten the screws. It's very easy to strip some of the threads - especially those along the rear I/O panel.

Good luck :)

Thanks Jamiee. I will be cautious if I do open and replace the fuse. The way Ygg sounds in my system, I am very much pleased but curious mind want to know more :)

Actually, the way I look at it, they are taking great responsibility for the product by giving a 5 year warranty and the fuse would be part of that warranty since it is not user serviceable. That is some high confidence in their work they have.

Well, the fuse will blow not because Schiit's high confidence in their products but other factors which Schiit has absolutely NO control. How is that so wise of responsibility ?

Jan 22, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #1,552 of 12,477
We've had two 5x20mm fuses blow on one of our milling machines at work - both in the last month but in different electronics bays.
Before the second one went, the machine threw a number of random errors at us which lead to a lengthy diagnosis and the need to call in an electrician (2hr minimum payment req'd).

Makes you feel kind of silly when you finally discover that you spent several hundred dollars in lost productivity and calling in a technician - only to find out that a .50 cent part was the root problem in the first place!

So yes, I'm a fan of user replaceable fuses where they make sense.   At the very least they provide a way for the end user to more easily diagnose a potential problem with a "dead" unit (replacement fuse works or it doesn't).  Certainly saves the worry of having to open the unit (possibly voiding the warranty), and the associated costs of sending the unit back to the supplier for repair.

Of course the audio-nerd side of me thinks that most audio grade fuses just sound better....  The faster I can get at the stock fuse and toss it, the better!    
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 22, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #1,553 of 12,477
It did occur to me that Schiit deliberately hid the fuse inside "Fort Knox" - just to annoy us fuse rollers. Because that's the kind of wacky fun guys they are!
If so, I can understand that. I may not like it, but I can understand it :xf_eek:)

Jan 22, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #1,554 of 12,477
  It did occur to me that Schiit deliberately hid the fuse inside "Fort Knox" - just to annoy us fuse rollers. Because that's the kind of wacky fun guys they are!
If so, I can understand that. I may not like it, but I can understand it :xf_eek:)

Fuses in a DAC are not the same as speaker fuses on a power amp that should be accessible because there are things that could happen in normal use that would cause them to operate (like shorting outputs).  If you blow the fuse on a DAC something serious has happened inside and it probably should go home for a good review.  Thinking a "better" fuse will somehow improve the sound is harder for me to understand than why Schiit would protect the protection from the average Joe.

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #1,555 of 12,477
Fuses also don't normally just blow on their own accord... the fuse link usually needs to see an abnormally high amount of current to melt. As an electrician, it's not like we're running around just replacing fuses... if a fuse blows, it's usually because something failed and caused a short. 

I completely disagree with the advice of a user simply replacing a blown fuse with a new one... you need to understand why the fuse blew in the first place! 

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #1,556 of 12,477
  Fuses also don't normally just blow on their own accord... the fuse link usually needs to see an abnormally high amount of current to melt. As an electrician, it's not like we're running around just replacing fuses... if a fuse blows, it's usually because something failed and caused a short. 

I completely disagree with the advice of a user simply replacing a blown fuse with a new one... you need to understand why the fuse blew in the first place! 

Agreed.     Also I can understand why Schitt would want to exclusively do their own repair to the high tech Yggy.  as they are after all providing the warranty.

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #1,557 of 12,477

Like TheAttorney said, fuse rolling to something like this http://www.amr-audio.co.uk/html/goldfuse_individual.html or this http://www.furutech.com/2013/02/02/1672/

Jan 22, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #1,558 of 12,477
Well, the fuse will blow not because Schiit's high confidence in their products but other factors which Schiit has absolutely NO control. How is that so wise of responsibility ?
Of course Schiit has no control over it, but by making it clear that the fuse is not user replaceable they are telling us not to mess with it and if we do its on us.
The high confidence and taking responsibility for their products is shown by the 5 year warranty.
Never said that was "wise of responsibility". Whatever that means.
Love my ygg but the blind fan base is overwhelmingly strong here.  I've seen this before many a time and there is little upside.  

It is a fuse.  Allow Schitt to fend for themselves.  They're perfectly competent to do so... 

HS

Why the attack on us "blind fans"? Are we not allowed to express our thoughts?

Jan 22, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #1,559 of 12,477
Of course Schiit has no control over it, but by making it clear that the fuse is not user replaceable they are telling us not to mess with it and if we do its on us.
The high confidence and taking responsibility for their products is shown by the 5 year warranty.
Never said that was "wise of responsibility". Whatever that means.
Why the attack on us "blind fans"? Are we not allowed to express our thoughts?

Because a bear pressured me once.  Must have been the smell of twinkies in the tent...

biggrin.gif

HS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back