Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jan 20, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #1,532 of 12,477
Sorry to disagree - I have built and sought out the best sound possibilities in dozens of converter designs - not just for myself, but as a hired gun for others.  I still wonder and try other things.  It is like Gram Parson's Return of the Grevious Angel

Twenty thousand roads I've been down, down, down
​And they all lead straight back home to you..

It is not like I haven't tried...

Multibit rules.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 20, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #1,533 of 12,477
I'm having a bit of a problem with my Yggy. I'm using an Uptone Audio Regen, and at first I thought that the Regen was the problem. I even returned it for a new board,
and all seemed well, then tonight, I stepped away for a bit, and when I returned, I was getting no signal from the computer, even though it recognized the Yggy
through the Regen.  

I removed the Regen and connected directly to the Yggy with no luck. Also, if I selected any other input, the 'better source' light would blink and a continuous
clicking would ensue. I powered the Yggy down, then back up, and at first nothing again. It finally started working again out of the blue.

Anyone else here have that problem or anything similar?

Jan 20, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #1,535 of 12,477
  I'm having a bit of a problem with my Yggy. I'm using an Uptone Audio Regen, and at first I thought that the Regen was the problem. I even returned it for a new board,
and all seemed well, then tonight, I stepped away for a bit, and when I returned, I was getting no signal from the computer, even though it recognized the Yggy
through the Regen.  

I removed the Regen and connected directly to the Yggy with no luck. Also, if I selected any other input, the 'better source' light would blink and a continuous
clicking would ensue. I powered the Yggy down, then back up, and at first nothing again. It finally started working again out of the blue.

Anyone else here have that problem or anything similar?

I've been using a Regen with my Yggy for a little over a month now - so far no problems to report.
(The Regen is using a Teradak DC-30W UPS modded to 7.5V for power).

Prior to the Regen, I had an ifi purifier connected to the Yggy.  It worked for a number of weeks then just suddenly stopped working.
Re-tried it the other day to see, but it's still dead.  Lights up but no sound.  I'm assuming there's something wrong with the purifier.  Yggy seems perfectly fine.

Jan 20, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #1,536 of 12,477
  A brownout (or a misbehaving source) can leave an Yggy occasionally in a very confused state; a power down with a thirty second delay should completely restore it.

Thanks for the tip. This makes sense because the Yggy was just acting odd. 

What seems weird to me is that my computer (Dell laptop) recognized the Yggy thru the Regen, and music was playing (JRiver) but 
somehow the Yggy wasn't doing anything with the signal. 

I guess I'm off to the Regen thread to let everyone know that it wasn't the Regen after all. 

Btw, I leave my Yggy powered on all the time. 

Jan 20, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #1,537 of 12,477
  What seems weird to me is that my computer (Dell laptop) recognized the Yggy thru the Regen, and music was playing (JRiver) but 
somehow the Yggy wasn't doing anything with the signal. 

Bear in mind that the USB in the Yggy is powered by the source(in your case, the Dell) which was why the Dell saw the Yggy, even though the rest of the Yggy was apparently temporarily lost.

Jan 21, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #1,538 of 12,477
Hi Folks,

Did anybody had any luck with replacing the stock fuse with a better one ? I asked Schiit about the fuse rating but they clearly refuse to tell - "There are no user serviceable parts in the Yggdrasil." This is one of the tweek that has worked so far with other DAC and do believe that its possible with Ygg as well - just that I need to know the fuse rating :)

Jan 21, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #1,539 of 12,477
  Hi Folks,

Did anybody had any luck with replacing the stock fuse with a better one ? I asked Schiit about the fuse rating but they clearly refuse to tell - "There are no user serviceable parts in the Yggdrasil." This is one of the tweek that has worked so far with other DAC and do believe that its possible with Ygg as well - just that I need to know the fuse rating :)

They gave you good advice.

Jan 21, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #1,540 of 12,477
  Hi Folks,

I'd like to replace the fuse, but haven't tried  - as the Yggy enclosure seems to have been designed  by the Security Officer from Fort Knox.

In all walks of life, a fuse is normally user replaceable. I find it strange (to put it politely) that we have the situation where a customer may have to ship their Yggy across the world just to get a suspect fuse checked out. 

I don't recall the user manual stating that "There are no user serviceable parts in the Yggdrasil.".  In which case the company has not sufficiently warned the customer whose Yggy has stopped working and who therefore needs to check if a fuse has blown.   

Jan 21, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #1,541 of 12,477
Hi Folks,

I'd like to replace the fuse, but haven't tried - as the Yggy enclosure seems to have been designed by the Security Officer from Fort Knox.

In all walks of life, a fuse is normally user replaceable. I find it strange (to put it politely) that we have the situation where a customer may have to ship their Yggy across the world just to get a suspect fuse checked out.

I don't recall the user manual stating that "There are no user serviceable parts in the Yggdrasil.". In which case the company has not sufficiently warned the customer whose Yggy has stopped working and who therefore needs to check if a fuse has blown.

Yes Yggy is a bit like Fort Knox to get into ( I believe I made this same comment in an earlier post.....) But it surely can be done - at the risk of voiding your warranty!

The fuse you are looking for is: 5x20mm / fast blow / 630ma / 250V ----- NOTE: This is for the North American version. Yggy's destined for other world markets may have different fuse spec's.

If you choose to take the risk of opening your Yggy - take your time! There's lots of screws to remove and one data cable connected to the front panel that needs to be disconnected.
Also, Yggy is quite heavy, so open it on a stable surface - Table etc... where you have ample room to work. When putting it back together, remember to not over-tighten the screws. It's very easy to strip some of the threads - especially those along the rear I/O panel.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #1,544 of 12,477

I'd like to replace the fuse, but haven't tried  - as the Yggy enclosure seems to have been designed  by the Security Officer from Fort Knox.

In all walks of life, a fuse is normally user replaceable. I find it strange (to put it politely) that we have the situation where a customer may have to ship their Yggy across the world just to get a suspect fuse checked out. 

I don't recall the user manual stating that "There are no user serviceable parts in the Yggdrasil.".  In which case the company has not sufficiently warned the customer whose Yggy has stopped working and who therefore needs to check if a fuse has blown.   

Screened on the back of every one of our products are the words "No user-serviceable parts inside."

This is to protect us, in the Litigious States of America, from those who would attempt to mod it...while it is plugged in...while they are taking a bath. Don't laugh. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back