Schiit we'd like to see
Feb 8, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #301 of 429
I'd like to see a Asgard-tier current output amplifier. I'm bad at names though. Somebody think of something.

Feb 9, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #303 of 429
It's probably been mentioned already, but I'd like to see a Vali 2 Uber, an inexpensive tube hybrid would be awesome to use as a preamp to powered speakers. All the same improvements as the Magni 2 Uber, lower noise floor, more sophisticated gain stage, ect.

Feb 9, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #304 of 429
Just thought of another thing, how about a Modi sized equalizer that uses knobs? I'm thinking sliders wouldn't work so well, but a 10-band EQ would be great if so, otherwise with small enough knobs 7-band should work. Hardware EQ is the way to go IMO.

Feb 9, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #305 of 429
  Just thought of another thing, how about a Modi sized equalizer that uses knobs? I'm thinking sliders wouldn't work so well, but a 10-band EQ would be great if so, otherwise with small enough knobs 7-band should work. Hardware EQ is the way to go IMO.

Yeah but how do you switch center frequencies? The problem with hardware graphic EQs is that not every speaker would have the same problem at the same frequency points, and even then, not the same kind of problem, like what Q factor you need to set, or what if peaks and dips were right next to each other and the center frequencies are too far apart.

Given Pioneer can sell a car audio receiver with a full-featured, 6-way DSP (for 3-way systems, ie, tweeter, midwoofer, subwoofer) that can do independent L-R EQ bands for $330, if Schiit comes out with an EQ it would make more sense to use a DSP like that between the source/transport and the DAC, instead of a purely hardware and analog application, that way they can implement a flexible parametric EQ with variable Q-Factor.

Feb 10, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #306 of 429

Yeah but how do you switch center frequencies? The problem with hardware graphic EQs is that not every speaker would have the same problem at the same frequency points, and even then, not the same kind of problem, like what Q factor you need to set, or what if peaks and dips were right next to each other and the center frequencies are too far apart.

Given Pioneer can sell a car audio receiver with a full-featured, 6-way DSP (for 3-way systems, ie, tweeter, midwoofer, subwoofer) that can do independent L-R EQ bands for $330, if Schiit comes out with an EQ it would make more sense to use a DSP like that between the source/transport and the DAC, instead of a purely hardware and analog application, that way they can implement a flexible parametric EQ with variable Q-Factor.

I see what you're saying, maybe what I had in mind just doesn't work quite like I thought for headphones. 

I suppose an on/off switch system, like the bass boost on the FiiO E10, but for bass/mids/treble would be more like what I had in mind, but then not as a stand-alone component, but maybe an idea for a future headphone amp assuming it wouldn't add too much cost. That seems practical.

Also, I could be wrong, but all I meant by "hardware is the way to go" is that I think software equalization more or less degrades the sound(could be exceptions), so in many cases it's best just not to use EQ if it's not hardware EQ. Maybe it's only my experience that has lead me to believe that.

Feb 10, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #307 of 429

Also, I could be wrong, but all I meant by "hardware is the way to go" is that I think software equalization more or less degrades the sound(could be exceptions), so in many cases it's best just not to use EQ if it's not hardware EQ. Maybe it's only my experience that has lead me to believe that.

Well there's doing it with dedicated hardware but affecting it in digital, instead of purely software. Not sure if it "degrades" anything, but between a dedicated DSP chip and running a computer processor to apply EQ, I'd rather have a DSP chip running. The problems with implementing that in home audio though are 1) it might be tricky applying an interface that's inexpensive yet easy to use for 2) a market that generally frowns upon DSPs. At least when it's HT there's a receiver where the buyer has to figure that one out anyway, or as a better example, in car audio even a calculator's screen and push button interface can be acceptable to the market (or, as it is, plugging in a laptop to the processor) is acceptable to those who are motivated to squeeze the best possible sound out one of the worst possible environments to use as a listening room.

Feb 11, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #310 of 429
  I would love to see a amp that does a bit better job as a desktop preamp - a couple inputs and switches up front.

The clean uncluttered line is their signature. 

Feb 11, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #312 of 429
A top of the line speaker amp, beyond the Rag I have does.   Not sure what's possible within reasonable pricing, but I'm game.    

Mar 2, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #313 of 429
'Scuse me if this has already been said, but how's about a Vali with a low gain switch, like the Magni 2? While we're at, how's about a Modi with a tubed output stage (dream on, know it's not gonna happen!). While we're dreaming, how about a mini CDP with a tubed output stage?

Mar 2, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #314 of 429
'Scuse me if this has already been said, but how's about a Vali with a low gain switch, like the Magni 2? While we're at, how's about a Modi with a tubed output stage (dream on, know it's not gonna happen!). While we're dreaming, how about a mini CDP with a tubed output stage?

I am still new to the terms used, what is a cdp? A portable cd transport? Just curious. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back