Schiit we'd like to see
Mar 27, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #16 of 429
I'm actually surprised they don't have a dac / amp combo yet. I'd like to see that from them, and they'v already proven they can build a lot of performance in a small casing. So what are they waiting for? Also, i second the headphone stand idea. Schitts metal work is simply amazing.

Mar 27, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #17 of 429
  Ok, I'll give my 25 cents (inflation) worth:

1.  Audio device switcher.  
2   Schiit Audio headphone stands.  Using the same metal as the outer casing of all their products.
3.  Equipment racks to house our growing inventory of Schiit products.  With vent holes on the shelve bottoms for improved
 cooling and of course using the same metal as  (see no. 2)
I'm pretty happy with the Schiit I have so I'll leave the electronic wish-listing to somebody else.   
Remember, accessories are high margin 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Well, scratch no.1   Only Schiit calls it a "SYS passive preamp".  Ordered one and it should arrive today.  
bigsmile_face.gif
  Now that's service for ya!   I know, probably been in the works for months but pretty cool non the less.   Now for numbers 2 and 3.   This is getting interesting..... 

Mar 27, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #18 of 429
Raptor,

Once you receive the Sys can you test if it works in reverse with one input to two outputs?

Not knowing this is keeping me from ordering one :frowning2:

Mar 27, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #19 of 429
If I'm using the switch box to input 2 sources to the Lyr then I have two volume controls would this degrade the sq Can the volume control be by passed so it's just a switch box not "preamp"

Mar 28, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #23 of 429
An Asgard 3 that has an upgradable USB DAC module (based on the Modi, but not necessarily exactly the same) in a separate, small daughter board, with a PSU designed to power both the amp circuit and the DAC with minimal penalties to the amp section's performance when USB is used. As much as USB power might be good enough, some motherboards just don't have the same performance, and some laptops don't output a full 5v from all ports. Also, along with generic drivers (or none needed), it can be easily used with an Android or iOS device through OTG or CCK without the need for an Android host or that costly iDevice digital streaming chip to be built into the DAC itself.

It's alright if it's a $99 add-on to the Asgard 3, if it helps maintain cost effectiveness in case more people prefer a pure amplifier to use with the Bifrost, but at least be an option for those who want a one-box solution and don't need a DAC with a  discrete output stage with many parts (but sends an otherwise clean and transparent signal to the amp section).

Mar 28, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #24 of 429
^^^^ Jason has said many times they will never never make an all in one solution. From the Schiit website:

"What’s your problem with combined DAC/Amps? Why can’t you put them in the same box?
Call us old-fashioned, but we don’t like multi-megahertz digital noise cruising around in the same chassis as sensitive analog amplification components. Nor do we like the planned obsolescence of a perfectly good amp when digital technology moves on. Let’s face it, you’ll probably be changing the DAC before the amp."

Mar 28, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #26 of 429
^^^^ Jason has said many times they will never never make an all in one solution. From the Schiit website:

"What’s your problem with combined DAC/Amps? Why can’t you put them in the same box?
Call us old-fashioned, but we don’t like multi-megahertz digital noise cruising around in the same chassis as sensitive analog amplification components. Nor do we like the planned obsolescence of a perfectly good amp when digital technology moves on. Let’s face it, you’ll probably be changing the DAC before the amp."

Sharp observation. It's written in the Magni faq.

I'm under the subjective impression that Schiit keeps to their word but can also show flexibility and change route for the better. A community driven product(s) seems the surest sureshot to tighten the bond with current users as well as getting a new crop of first timers in.

Mar 28, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #27 of 429

Yes I've read that before, but this being a "Schiit we'd like to see" thread, then I just thought I'd throw the idea out there which isn't even too far out of this world (unlike people expecting a DAP with discrete components the size of the iPod with all-day battey life). And if you actually read my entire post, I addressed that part at least. Since the Modi was built on the same bare board that is used as the USB module on the Bifrost, then it might be possible to use it as a modular DAC board. As for their design philosophy, a thread like this might outweigh the technical issue that they're trying to avoid.

Mar 28, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #28 of 429

Wow, That actually shows how customer-oriented they already are. Most companies out there wouldn't really mind selling you items that you'll probably end up replacing.
Nice thinking. Still I wouldn't mind seeing an all-in-one solution from them. With the upgrade boards they'v proven they can extend their product's lifecycle when necessary.
I don't see why they can't do it with an integrated DAC/amp. Still.. probably not gonna happen.

Mar 28, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #29 of 429

I was about to post the blurb from the website about that - although, it doesn't say they'll NEVER do one. Maybe he has said that elsewhere, but as technology changes, they may re-asses their thinking on this, and consider producing a combo Amp/DAC, particularly if there is a lot of demand for it. 

Mar 28, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #30 of 429
  I certainly wouldn't mind a tube amp using more and bigger tubes. 

A balanced Lyr, using four 6DJ8 tubes in a "Mojo-sized" enclosure would be the schiit. 

Would also love to see a phono stage!

popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back