Schiit Valhalla vs Little Dot MKIII for Sennheiser HD 598/700
Jan 21, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #16 of 26
All I can say is going from the Little Dot MKIII to my Asgard 2 is night and day difference. I mean the sound stage is like..significantly better on songs I know like the back of my hand. At this point, if Schiit makes whatever I'm looking for, I'm going with them instead lol. This thing is just stupid awesome for what I paid for it.

Jan 21, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #17 of 26
  All I can say is going from the Little Dot MKIII to my Asgard 2 is night and day difference. I mean the sound stage is like..significantly better on songs I know like the back of my hand. At this point, if Schiit makes whatever I'm looking for, I'm going with them instead lol. This thing is just stupid awesome for what I paid for it.

Couldn't agree with you more.  Exactly my thoughts when I've upgraded from my LD MKIV SE to the Valhalla months ago.  :)  I'm very impressed with the quality and cost effective amps Schiit makes.  

Jan 21, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #18 of 26
Dude I was a little upset I was losing the tube sound, I really was digging them and wasn't sure how I was going to feel being back on solid state and...it's just mind boggling good. I mean my last solid state was the Topping VX1 so I guess there's no comparison there, but still, at the same price as the little dot....I don't know why I didn't just go with Schiit like I originally wanted to. I wish I had more audio nuts here in Madison so I could hear more stuff. It sucks not knowing anyone who's into music cause I want new headphones and I have to just go off hundreds of reviews.

Feb 8, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #19 of 26
Are you still using the HD598's, I just purchased a set of them the other night and just waiting for them to get to me, I have owned a Magni in the past and I was thinking of the Asgard this time around or maybe the cheaper Magni 2.

Feb 8, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #20 of 26
  Are you still using the HD598's, I just purchased a set of them the other night and just waiting for them to get to me, I have owned a Magni in the past and I was thinking of the Asgard this time around or maybe the cheaper Magni 2.

I still am yes :) Still sounding AMAZING. I've been going back to older bands like Rush and Pink Floyd just because the instrument separation is so good. Especially Rush. Listen to their Test for Echo album. Neil's drumming really comes alive.

Feb 8, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #21 of 26
  I still am yes :) Still sounding AMAZING. I've been going back to older bands like Rush and Pink Floyd just because the instrument separation is so good. Especially Rush. Listen to their Test for Echo album. Neil's drumming really comes alive.

Very cool, I'm excited as I purchased a used Asgard 2 on another forum. I currently have some Shure SRH440's which are surprisingly good for the $99 price tag  and had a Magni powering them a little while back but sold my Modi/Magni combo to purchase an Emotiva XDA-2 DAC/Preamp for my HT setup. Visions in Canada has the HD558's for $148 regular $379 so I grabbed a pair as I thought that was a pretty sweet deal. A few months ago I purchased a Dyson vacuum at the local Future Shop and their promo was a free set of HD280's and they were horrid compared to my SRH440's but I can only assume the 558's are a big step up, I returned the 280's the following week to instead get the $150 off sale price on the vacuum haha.

Thanks for the response, I can't wait to get the Asgard 2 and HD558's setup :p and I do like Rush so I will check out that album, all I own from them is their Time Machine 2011 Blu-ray.

Cheers

Feb 8, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #22 of 26
...buy a vacuum...get a pair of headphones? what? lmao

Feb 8, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #23 of 26

I have to agree with this.  I have several of the Rush albums with Hold Your Fire being one of my favorites.  Sounded absolutely amazing on my HD700's especially "High Water" with the drumming intro.  I often use some of their tracks for headphone demoing.  

Feb 9, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #24 of 26
I thought ill chime in and give my 2 cents just in case somebody else is looking into simmilar setup.. All though i dont have hd700 , but insted use hd650 i recently bought valhalla 2 along with modi 2 uber and all i can say is that im blown away by the sound. I kid you not, im having hard time to take the cans off my head. This is my first tube amp and i couldnt be more happy. It sound very warm. Don't hesitate and give it a shot. If you're into tubes than you'll like it. If you dont, you can always send it back.

Feb 10, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #25 of 26
It's over my budget unfortunately.

Does anyone here have anything to say about the Little Dot?

I have a LDIII with upgraded tubes. Even though I own more pedigreed amplifiers, the LD is my go-to with HD600.

The amplifier did produce a slight buzz and hum (that's not a ground loop, BTW), and I was able to cure the issue pretty easily with a different power cord. Overall, I think the LDIII is a tremendous value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back