Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
Jul 30, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #976 of 2,717
Hey! Happy Monday! Hope all is well!

Hey Tricolor!

Thank you the kind answer.

Amiron have a similar sound like a DT880, but hard to write around which is the better, like with my English. I owned a 250ohm version from the DT880, and since I changed to the Amiron, I completly forgot how the DT880 felt on my head. Amiron literally wiped out my mind - and ears :D

Of course, I would like to stick to the default ones, but I already searched some on the google for new tubes. Luckily in here, Hungary, we got a music store which sells kinda good tubes ( http://www.elektroncso.hu/lista.php ) where I see some SOVTEKS and other good ones.. so luckily for me would be easy to change them down, tho some of the tubes cost literally a better laptop :D

I am looking after some NOS, but actually first of all, I need to get my hands on the Vallhala :)

Cheers,
kebcy

Right on... I am happy to hear Amiron rocks!!! Hope you find cool tubes at affordable prices... :) that's the cool thing about rolling, although the sky is the limit, I am pretty shure that are plenty of GOOD tubes at affordable prices... Even if the GREAT tubes are crazy expensive, I guess we can have fun without breaking the bank...

As far as I have learned from various forums/threads, the preamp tubes are the ones that make the most difference... to be honest I combine some EQ to fine tune the sound... especially if for instance saxophones/trumpets sound way too harsh... hehe

cheers!

Sep 23, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #978 of 2,717
Recently purchased some Electro-Harmonix 6CG7 Gold Pins from TupeDepot after reading many recommendations for these tubes. After about a week of listening I feel I'm able to give my impressions.

Listening Setup --> PC -> Spotify Premium -> Modi 2U -> Valhalla 2 -> Focal Elear/HD6xx
Listening to mostly Electronic music as well as some metal and other rock varieties.

The EH 6CG7 Gold Pins are extremely clear tubes, not adding any tube sound but rather clarifying everything. Resolution and detail are incredible. The highs are very present but in no way too strong. Bass becomes tighter, cleaner, and more punchier, but not an overall increase or decrease. The sound stage is smaller than the stock 6N1P, however the instrument separation is superior due to the increased overall clarity.

Definitely good tubes for analytic listening or anyone seeking very clear and precise sound. Not for someone looking for euphoric big room sound.

Oct 24, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #983 of 2,717
Can anyone offer any opinions on a pair of tubes that will bring out a little more weight and lushness to the Valhalla 2. I've not felt the need to change the sound since May but I recently picked up a liquid spark and while the v2 is a better amp I want more of that fun mid range sound and a little more weight if possible. Cans are HD600/HD6xx.

Oct 24, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #984 of 2,717
I just bought a set of EH 6922's for my Vahalla 2 and I have the HD600's..these gold pin versions made a world of difference listening....and its not a whol lot of money, I got a pair for $44 on ebay..brand new..highly recommended.
Alex

Oct 24, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #986 of 2,717
Sure....I am using a Schitt Bifrost MB dac with the Gen 5 USB connection. I have 9+ amps now!! LOL!

The Vahalls 2 is number 2/3 on my favorite list....

Adding the EH 6922's (gold Pins) seemed to make the presentation "alive" and more open...I find myself just listening and enjoying.
The music on well recorded stuff is just clear, clean and amazing with HD 600's or T1 or T90 ...

Its the old "like a veil has been removed"...

It makes the amp more resolving IMO...good stuff shines but crap really sucks...YMMV.

Its not that any one part of the freq spectrum is better....its all better in that I can hear the contents and it makes the presentation
come alive and more enjoyable.

Good Luck!
Alex

Oct 24, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #987 of 2,717
Sure....I am using a Schitt Bifrost MB dac with the Gen 5 USB connection. I have 9+ amps now!! LOL!

Adding the EH 6922's (gold Pins) seemed to make the presentation "alive" and more open...I find myself just listening and enjoying.
The music on well recorded stuff is just clear, clean and amazing with HD 600's or T1 or T90 ...

It makes the amp more resolving IMO...good stuff shines but crap really sucks...YMMV.

Its not that any one part of the freq spectrum is better....its all better in that I can hear the contents and it makes the presentation

Good Luck!
Alex

Modi multibit here, can you comment on the mids and maybe lower mid changes ?

Oct 24, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #988 of 2,717

Good Luck!
Alex
+1 to the 6922 gold tubes, I have the same dac, they really color the tone nicely.

Oct 24, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #989 of 2,717
Can anyone offer any opinions on a pair of tubes that will bring out a little more weight and lushness to the Valhalla 2. I've not felt the need to change the sound since May but I recently picked up a liquid spark and while the v2 is a better amp I want more of that fun mid range sound and a little more weight if possible. Cans are HD600/HD6xx.

If you are willing to explore the 6N3/5670 family, vintage Tung-Sol 2C51, WE396A, ‘60s Foton 6N3 with adapters all sound great on the Valhalla 2. A pair of ‘60 Foton 6N6P also makes the low end sound fuller.

Oct 25, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #990 of 2,717
You can spend so much money chasing vintage tubes and the like.....You really need to look at the circuit and the specific vacuum tube manual and its plots to see if the tube is in its
designed operating "area"..the old school "load lines" plots.....wow...thats showing my age!

Schiit and Bottlehead have said many times its the circuit design that really matters, and tubes while they may play a part in the final presentation its not as much as you think.

But I like others that have grown up up in the golden area of tubes, built and tested these things for a living for many years.....know that a recent well made tube designed to the origainal
NOS specs can be as good as those crazy mega dollar "vintage" tubes....

That said the EH Gold Pin 6922's IMO sound just great, the bass slam with many recordings with the "right" set of headphones is just spot on and realistic as well as the mids and treble and
entire presentation.

If you want a fuller sounding low and mids you really need to look for a set of headphones that are "colored" or lean in that area.....many choices here that will do what you want much more
than any tube will do...

All the best
Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back