Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
May 25, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #961 of 2,717
I've listened to this song like 30 times and never noticed that until today. I actually turned around because I thought someone was in my room making that sound.
I had that exact feeling the first time I listened to the Waltz for Debby album by Bill Evans on good gear. It was recorded live and there are some audience noises in the background. Scared me the first time I heard that.

May 25, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #962 of 2,717
Wow, these NOS Tung-Sol 2C51s are impressive!

I'm definitely hearing increased clarity in the mids and highs. Instrument isolation seems much apparent. Only downside is they sound a bit hollow, a bit more airy but I guess that's what allows the clarity to come through?

Check out the song "Set You Free" by Sara K. on the Hell or High Water album.
Two things worth noting.
1. Right at the start there is the sound of what sounds like crickets and bugs, these tubes are bringing those sounds through super clear whereas before I barely noticed it.
2. At 1:33 after she says "...and when it's just you and me baby", you can hear what sounds like a childs' voice in the distance for a brief moment, possibly a mastering error. Insane, I've listened to this song like 30 times and never noticed that until today. I actually turned around because I thought someone was in my room making that sound.

What headphones are you using? I've listend 4 times already with my HD650 same tubes and I cant hear the childs voice :O?

May 25, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #963 of 2,717
Last edited:
May 25, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #964 of 2,717
I had that exact feeling the first time I listened to the Waltz for Debby album by Bill Evans on good gear. It was recorded live and there are some audience noises in the background. Scared me the first time I heard that.

Oh nice, I'll check out that album. I'm always looking for interesting new albums to make audio equipment shine.

May 27, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #965 of 2,717
So I have been testing a matched pair of JSC Voskhod 6N1P-EB

pros:
- Cheap
- Low noise floor, very low

cons:
- A bit cold
- Highs roll off a bit
- Bass is a little subdued

These definitely don't bring out the best of the Valhalla, I can't tell if they are better or worse than the stock 6N1P or not. Might be a good cheap replacement for the stock tubes.

Jun 24, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #970 of 2,717
I am enjoying Valhalla 2 with my Z1R in low gain mode. However to make HD 600 enjoyable with Valhalla 2 i have ordered
JJ E88CC / 6922 Gold Pin. I hope it tames down the hot treble a bit.

Jun 24, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #971 of 2,717
I am enjoying Valhalla 2 with my Z1R in low gain mode. However to make HD 600 enjoyable with Valhalla 2 i have ordered
JJ E88CC / 6922 Gold Pin. I hope it tames down the hot treble a bit.

The Hd650's sing with the JJ E88CC / 6922 Gold Pin, I'm sure the 600's are similar.

Jul 5, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #972 of 2,717
anybody know where I can purchase a pair of tung sol 2c51? it looks like the vacuumtubesinc store doesn't stock them anymore. They do have the JAN philips 2c51, is that comparable to the tung sol?

Jul 26, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #973 of 2,717
Hey!

I am planning to buy a Schiit Valhalla 2 for my Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (250Ohm) Headphone. I already own a BursonAudio PLAY headphone amp / dac, but I would love to try out the tube amplifiers as well. Any suggestions what kind of tubes should I buy later for the Valhalla 2? Anybody have here good expressions about this Amiron - Valhalla 2 combo? I wanna try out the tube-rolling method too, so please if somebody can suggest any good tubes, do not hesitate to write down! :)

My music taste is kinda mixed. I used to listen rock, metal, jazz, jpop, ambient, post-rock, "new retro wave" music, and so on..

Is it possible to use the BursonAudio PLAY together with the Schiit Valhalla 2?

Thank you the kind answers!

Cheers,
kebcy

Jul 26, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #974 of 2,717
Good morning @kebcy , folks! hope all is well and you're all enjoying summer!

Hey!

I am planning to buy a Schiit Valhalla 2 for my Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (250Ohm) Headphone. I already own a BursonAudio PLAY headphone amp / dac, but I would love to try out the tube amplifiers as well. Any suggestions what kind of tubes should I buy later for the Valhalla 2? Anybody have here good expressions about this Amiron - Valhalla 2 combo? I wanna try out the tube-rolling method too, so please if somebody can suggest any good tubes, do not hesitate to write down! :)

My music taste is kinda mixed. I used to listen rock, metal, jazz, jpop, ambient, post-rock, "new retro wave" music, and so on..

Is it possible to use the BursonAudio PLAY together with the Schiit Valhalla 2?

Thank you the kind answers!

Cheers,
kebcy

I can't tell you specifically my impressions with the Amiron Home, but if it might have a similar "profile" as the DT770 250 Ohm... The Valhalla 2 pairs really nice with it.

To be honest, before rolling, I would try out a bit with the stock tubes... they are not bad at all... But yeah, rolling tubes is kind of interesting, so I have also been playing a bit with different tubes! One thing that I recommend is getting the tube extenders... visually I think it looks nicer with the tubes sticking out a bit of the chassis, and it also helps cool down a bit...

After the stock ones, I got the JJ E88CC and more recently, the Electro Harmonix 6922EH. I feel like the bass is a bit more defined with the 6922EH compared to the other 2.

The cool thing is that all these tubes are quite affordable too... so it doesn't hurt to try... I am not so sure if I'll bite the bullet one day to explore NOS, as I believe it's hard to justify hundreds of dollars mostly because it's getting harder and harder to find such tubes... I know the quality MUST be pretty outstanding, but I am also pretty sure the prices are like these mainly because it might be impossible to get them in the future...

Cheers!

Jul 27, 2018 at 3:10 AM Post #975 of 2,717
Hey Tricolor!

Thank you the kind answer.

Amiron have a similar sound like a DT880, but hard to write around which is the better, like with my English. I owned a 250ohm version from the DT880, and since I changed to the Amiron, I completly forgot how the DT880 felt on my head. Amiron literally wiped out my mind - and ears :D

Of course, I would like to stick to the default ones, but I already searched some on the google for new tubes. Luckily in here, Hungary, we got a music store which sells kinda good tubes ( http://www.elektroncso.hu/lista.php ) where I see some SOVTEKS and other good ones.. so luckily for me would be easy to change them down, tho some of the tubes cost literally a better laptop :D

I am looking after some NOS, but actually first of all, I need to get my hands on the Vallhala :)

Cheers,
kebcy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back