Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
Oct 5, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #721 of 2,717
Schiit's response was basically noncommittal: they couldn't recommend any tube not specifically listed as compatible and use of the 6H30PIs would be at my own risk. At any rate, I tried them and they seemed to work fine. My ears are not nearly as educated as many here, but I heard no improvement in sound quality (which I did when I used them in the Little Dot), maybe even a little worse in soundstage and separation. What did concern me a bit was how hot the Valhalla 2 got after several hours. After I put socket savers in (almost entirely for aesthetic reasons; I think the amp looks nicer with the tubes sitting up higher) I noticed the Valhalla 2 ran noticeably cooler--quite warm but not borderline hot as it did without the socket savers. With the 6H30PIs in, the amp ran pretty hot again over several hours (though always touchable). Since I didn't hear any sound upgrade, I just went back to the stock power tubes (and the Valhalla 2 runs cooler again).

Thank you for the update

Oct 25, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #722 of 2,717
Hi all,

Long-time reader of this forum, very occasional poster.

I have a question regarding the Valhalla 2 and tube risers / socket savers. I apologise if it's been covered in the previous 49 pages, but I have been searching for weeks without locating an answer.

I am about to buy the Valhalla 2 and am looking for some tube risers, a) for aesthetic reasons and b) to keep it cooler if possible - and I believe this does have an effect.

1) I'm in the UK. Where (besides eBay) can you buy the type of socket savers that are compatible with the Valhalla 2?

2) Being a total novice at tubes, I honestly don't know... I understand the Valhalla has 9-pin tubes, and therefore needs 9-pin socket savers, but will any socket saver do, or do they need to be certain ones that are compatible? Is any socket saver just as good as another, or like certain electronic components do you need to find the right risers for the right amp? if so, can you suggest any?

Thanks is advance for any help.

Oct 25, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #723 of 2,717
@RMarks271
I've bought a random socket saver off of eBay (did have good seller ratings) and did notice some sonic changes - returned them immediately and didn't care to get another.
If anything, from my short experience with socket savers, is probably get the socket savers that are proven to be good, perhaps like the ones from tubemonger.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #724 of 2,717
@RMarks271
I've bought a random socket saver off of eBay (did have good seller ratings) and did notice some sonic changes - returned them immediately and didn't care to get another.
If anything, from my short experience with socket savers, is probably get the socket savers that are proven to be good, perhaps like the ones from tubemonger.

Hi,

Are you in the UK?

Interesting, I'm obviously keen to avoid any sonic interference.

Which savers are you referring to from tubemonger?

Oct 25, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #725 of 2,717
Hi,

Are you in the UK?

Interesting, I'm obviously keen to avoid any sonic interference.

Which savers are you referring to from tubemonger?

I'm in the states.
Btw, it very well may have been an outlier, but I kinda lost interest after that incident. I even had two different XLR adapters from the same place (not the place where I got the socket saver) sounding different (one had an interesting sound bass boost/distortion). I took a brief look at the site and this seems to be the appropriate one. Hopefully others in this thread can confirm.

Plug Play NOVIB Socket Saver©-1960s NOS British McMurdo Phenolic socket on Top plus Vibration Reduction Base - 9-pin B9A NOVAL

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #726 of 2,717
I'm in the states.
Btw, it very well may have been an outlier, but I kinda lost interest after that incident. I even had two different XLR adapters from the same place (not the place where I got the socket saver) sounding different (one had an interesting sound base boost/distortion). I took a brief look at the site and this seems to be the appropriate one. Hopefully others in this thread can confirm.

Plug Play NOVIB Socket Saver©-1960s NOS British McMurdo Phenolic socket on Top plus Vibration Reduction Base - 9-pin B9A NOVAL

So what signal chain have you settled on, and are you happy with that sonic production? And are you using the Schiit stock tubes?

Tube risers aside, how are you finding you Valhalla these many months down the line?

Oct 25, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #727 of 2,717
@RMarks271

I have the Tubemonger socket savers mentioned above and they work fine- no difference in sound. The biggest benefit is the Valhalla case runs cooler, plus I like how the tubes look fully exposed. I've had the Valhalla for quite a while now and couldn't be happier with it.

Oct 25, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #728 of 2,717
@RMarks271

I have the Tubemonger socket savers mentioned above and they work fine- no difference in sound. The biggest benefit is the Valhalla case runs cooler, plus I like how the tubes look fully exposed. I've had the Valhalla for quite a while now and couldn't be happier with it.

Thanks for your input. Just to confirms, are these the tubes you have?

http://www.tubemonger.com/NOVIB_Socket_Saver_1960s_NOS_British_McMurdo_B9A_p/novib-mcmurdo.htm

Have you ever had any issues with them, any channel imbalances or sonic irregularities?

Oct 25, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #729 of 2,717
Oct 25, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #730 of 2,717
Those are by far the best socket savers out there. Those are exactly what you need. I've been rolling tubes for just about 3 years now, and never had one fail, or experienced any issues whatsoever.

Thanks - they are a *lot* more expensive than I imagined. On eBay and other fora I've seen them mentioned for peanuts - four of these would set me back over £100. Is that normal?

Oct 25, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #731 of 2,717
Sounds about right. I wouldn't sacrifice your gear to the cheap ones on ebay.
I bought a pair of the cheap ones a few years back , and one fell apart before I could even use it.

Tubemongers are well worth the price.
Thanks - they are a *lot* more expensive than I imagined. On eBay and other fora I've seen them mentioned for peanuts - four of these would set me back over £100. Is that normal?

Oct 25, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #735 of 2,717

Users who are viewing this thread

Back