Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
Aug 24, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #707 of 2,717
Thanks for the very quick response.
Yes, most of my headphones are either plannar magnetic, or low impedance. I think my only high impedance headphone I own is the HD600.
I know OTL is not ideal for my collection, but I already got a SS amp (Schiit Jot) and want to try (for the first time) tube amp. And that is the reason I want it to sound different from my SS amp (plan to keep both).

So... do you think I could get Vali2 with the "proper" tubes to make it sound very different from the Jot? :wink:
I recently got a Jot w/Dac and HD650, I also got in on the MassDrop Hifiman 4xx for my first planars.... was thinking about the Valhalla 2 down the line also. Let me know how you like it all if you go down a similar path.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2017 at 3:06 AM Post #708 of 2,717
I recently got a Jot w/Dac and HD650, I also got in on the MassDrop Hifiman 4xx for my first planars.... was thinking about the Valhalla 2 down the line also. Let me know how you like it all if you go down a similar path.

I have joined the MassDrop CTH instead, so ditched the Valhalla 2 path :wink:

Sep 7, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #709 of 2,717
Not sure if that is the right thread for my question, so apologies if not.
I am looking into buying a Valhalla 2 amp, and most of my amps are plannars or low impedance (sub-80 ohms. most around 30-40).
I understand the Valhalla 2 is good for those, but coming from SS amp - I am looking for a "tubey" sound (most reviewers keep claiming the Valhalla 2 does not have "tubey" sound).
Any recommendations for tubes to give it a "dreamy" / "euphoric" / "tubey" sound?

Thanks in advance.

Amperex 7308 gold pins.

Sep 8, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #710 of 2,717
The Valhalla is not tubey sounding at all. I found the lyr 2 to have more of a tube sound. if your on a budget, try a VALI 2. Also, the Valhalla is not good for low impedance loads.

Not sure if that is the right thread for my question, so apologies if not.
I am looking into buying a Valhalla 2 amp, and most of my amps are plannars or low impedance (sub-80 ohms. most around 30-40).
I understand the Valhalla 2 is good for those, but coming from SS amp - I am looking for a "tubey" sound (most reviewers keep claiming the Valhalla 2 does not have "tubey" sound).
Any recommendations for tubes to give it a "dreamy" / "euphoric" / "tubey" sound?

Thanks in advance.

Sep 20, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #713 of 2,717
I don't think they're compatible with the Valhalla design.

Sep 25, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #715 of 2,717
The Valhalla 2 uses the same tube type as the Mjolnir. Was hoping the LISST would work in the Valhalla as it does in the Mjolnir. Wonder why it wouldn't be compatible.
They are compatible. It is just pointless. They don't lower the noise floor. Transient speed is less and high output impedance is left in place.

In short, all the downside of tube amps remain and you gain all the downsides of transistor.

PS: The reason why hybrid amps use preamp tubes and out transistors is to gain tube speed and linearity and get rid of output impedance fussiness. What you propose is the opposite topology. Transistor preamps stage and tube output stage.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #716 of 2,717
They are compatible. It is just pointless. They don't lower the noise floor. Transient speed is less and high output impedance is left in place.

In short, all the downside of tube amps remain and you gain all the downsides of transistor.

PS: The reason why hybrid amps use preamp tubes and out transistors is to gain tube speed and linearity and get rid of output impedance fussiness. What you propose is the opposite topology. Transistor preamps stage and tube output stage.

Ah. That would make sense. Thank you.

Sep 29, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #717 of 2,717
I just got a Valhalla 2, which I like very much so far. (Though my enjoyment was delayed a few days when one of the stock input tubes blew out after 90 minutes, the black tip turning absolutely clear. I told Schiit on a Friday afternoon and on Saturday they mailed me a complete new set of four tubes.) I've read over and over that there is really not much point in rolling the power tubes. And I don't intend to (though I did pick up a pair of moderately priced JJ E88CC input tubes). However, the Valhalla 2 manual states that the power tubes can be replaced with " 6H30Ns, but that’s about it." I happen to have a fairly new, but burned in, pair of Electro Harmonix 6H30PIs in my old Little Dot. MK III. Anyone know if these compatible with the Valhalla 2?

Sep 29, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #718 of 2,717
Sep 29, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #719 of 2,717
It won't damage anything if you want to try it. Same pin out. Read this page if you want to learn more about the tube.

Thanks for the help. I've asked Schiit the same question and will update when they respond.

Oct 5, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #720 of 2,717
Schiit's response was basically noncommittal: they couldn't recommend any tube not specifically listed as compatible and use of the 6H30PIs would be at my own risk. At any rate, I tried them and they seemed to work fine. My ears are not nearly as educated as many here, but I heard no improvement in sound quality (which I did when I used them in the Little Dot), maybe even a little worse in soundstage and separation. What did concern me a bit was how hot the Valhalla 2 got after several hours. After I put socket savers in (almost entirely for aesthetic reasons; I think the amp looks nicer with the tubes sitting up higher) I noticed the Valhalla 2 ran noticeably cooler--quite warm but not borderline hot as it did without the socket savers. With the 6H30PIs in, the amp ran pretty hot again over several hours (though always touchable). Since I didn't hear any sound upgrade, I just went back to the stock power tubes (and the Valhalla 2 runs cooler again).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back