Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
Feb 18, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #436 of 2,717
There must be something wrong in your systems because the Valhalla doesn't sound shrill. Maybe you should try different tubes. I changed mine for gold JJ and and the output tubes from Cryoset. Schiit installs cheap tubes so they can price the amp not to expensive. 

Feb 21, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #438 of 2,717
Hello!

Looking into purchasing a Valhalla 2 myself. 

Using Sennheiser HD800s.

Just looking through comments on this forum there isn't any definitive answer what tubes are good for the HD800.

What would be good tubes to role, for popular new music? As this is what I mostly listen to.

Feb 21, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #439 of 2,717
  Hello!

Using Sennheiser HD800s.

Just looking through comments on this forum there isn't any definitive answer what tubes are good for the HD800.

What would be good tubes to role, for popular new music? As this is what I mostly listen to.

I use Amperex Bugle Boys in my Valhalla 2 and they're great with really anything that is recorded well. Throw in something that's recorded poorly or low quality mp3 files and it'll probably sound bad with any tube and any setup on the HD800.

Keep in mind my HD800 is modded.

Feb 22, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #440 of 2,717
  Hello!

Using Sennheiser HD800s.

I've been looking for recommendations myself and a lot of people say the stock tubes aren't too shabby.  That's what I'm using with my Val 2 and HD700's and I have no complaints.

Feb 25, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #441 of 2,717
With the Valhalla 2, can I just change out the front 2 tubes to switch up the sound, or do the power tubes need to be swapped as well?  Are there pretty nice tubes that are on the cheap side?  I'm new to OTL amps and considering buying a Valhalla 2 for my HD650.

Feb 25, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #442 of 2,717
Hey guys,

I finally took the plunge and bought the Valhalla 2, it is my first tube amp.

Do the tubes have to be pushed firmly? They seem to be a bit'wobly'..

Tubes light up though when switched on.

Thanks (sorry for this very beginner question)

Feb 25, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #443 of 2,717
Hey guys,

I finally took the plunge and bought the Valhalla 2, it is my first tube amp.

Do the tubes have to be pushed firmly? They seem to be a bit'wobly'..

Tubes light up though when switched on.

Thanks (sorry for this very beginner question)

Congrats on getting a Val 2, I'm sure you'll love it!

The tubes should be firmly seated into the sockets and you should be able to feel some resistance once they have been seated.  The sockets are designed to be a tight fit to ensure good contact with the pins, but the tubes shouldn't be "wobbly".

Feb 25, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #444 of 2,717
Congrats on getting a Val 2, I'm sure you'll love it!

The tubes should be firmly seated into the sockets and you should be able to feel some resistance once they have been seated.  The sockets are designed to be a tight fit to ensure good contact with the pins, but the tubes shouldn't be "wobbly".

OK I think I have found the trick,thank you very much!

Edit: Fate is laughing in my face, there is a general power outage in our street.

Feb 25, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #445 of 2,717
With the Valhalla 2, can I just change out the front 2 tubes to switch up the sound, or do the power tubes need to be swapped as well?  Are there pretty nice tubes that are on the cheap side?  I'm new to OTL amps and considering buying a Valhalla 2 for my HD650.

Changing the front pair (shorter tubes) is all you really need to do. I use the Amperex Bugle Boys, they're very nice and not too expensive. Works lovely with the HD800. Though the Amperex Orange Globes worked amazing with the HD650.

Feb 26, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #446 of 2,717
Changing the front pair (shorter tubes) is all you really need to do. I use the Amperex Bugle Boys, they're very nice and not too expensive. Works lovely with the HD800. Though the Amperex Orange Globes worked amazing with the HD650.

Thanks!  I could only find the Bugle Boy Amperex, is that the same thing?  I'm new to tube rolling, just want some cheaper tubes that are better than the stock for the hd650 that I can try out once my Valhalla 2 gets here.

Feb 26, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #447 of 2,717
Thanks!  I could only find the Bugle Boy Amperex, is that the same thing?  I'm new to tube rolling, just want some cheaper tubes that are better than the stock for the hd650 that I can try out once my Valhalla 2 gets here.

Should be the same thing. Get the ones from the 60s or early 70s. The Valhalla 2 itself is already great with the HD650. Tube rolling will be icing on the cake!

Feb 28, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #448 of 2,717
My first time posting in this thread, hi all.

Had a small concern.

Am I going nuts or is it just extremely difficult to install / re-install tubes on schiit amps? I am very familiar with the ''rolling'' process
and find it to be very easy just inserting half way into the socket, then rock/roll them gently into place.

I recently switched out my gold lion ECC88 back to stock, just for kicks. Upon removing stock and reinstalling the gold lions,
I found it almost impossible to reinstall both tubes.

I actually bent the pins on one of the GL tubes but was able to use tweezers to re-align the pins. It took a scary amount of force to
finally get them back into the sockets (I wasnt just 'pressing down'). I was a bit scared to turn the amp back on but they are installed 
and work fine for now.

Has anyone else had this kind of difficulty with the sockets and aftermarket tubes?

Feb 29, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #449 of 2,717
I have not experience this issue on any of my Schiit tube gear. Is this a new piece of gear?

Feb 29, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #450 of 2,717
  I have not experience this issue on any of my Schiit tube gear. Is this a new piece of gear?

Yeah, Valhalla 2 purchased in December.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back