Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
Feb 2, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #409 of 2,717
  +1

I too am curious how much of a change could be made simply by upgrading tubes. Specifically I own the Valhalla 2, and like the sound. But I will be attending a meet where people will be bringing tube amplifiers costing upwards of $1100 (that's the low end - we had someone bring a Liquid Crimson costing closer to $3K).

While tubes seem expensive, such as a set of Russian tubes for $320, they are still at the noise level in cost is compared to the amplifiers I would be auditioning. And at meet conditions, I could only hear so much. So I am more interested in what people here believe. It is worth it to pay as much for the tubes as was paid for the amplifier, for Valhalla 2? This would still cost less than the next upgrade of tube amplifier. But would the quality of the sound be close?

Diminishing returns - yada yada yada. No, I want to know could a $680 Vallhalla 2 with the best tubes be confused with a DNA Sonnet 2 or a Decware CSP3? Or are these simply better tube amplifiers?

I sell Russian tubes for $127. per set, so I'd say $300+ is just taking advantage of folks.

Feb 3, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #410 of 2,717
Just one saver per socket was more than enough to lift the tubes up and bring overall temperatures down. No more toasty volume knob.

Can you point me in the direction of these socket savers.  I'd be interested in looking into them.

Feb 3, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #412 of 2,717
Feb 3, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #413 of 2,717

I sell Russian tubes for $127. per set, so I'd say $300+ is just taking advantage of folks.

and they're gooooooood tubes for the Valhalla to boot. I've felt no need to look elsewhere.

I do have some Amperex Orange Globe 6dj8, Holland, A-Frame construction on the way I bought used just cause I got the itch one day and the price was right. Will report back.

Feb 4, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #416 of 2,717
One set of socket savers is more than enough to raise the tube out of the Valhalla enclosure. I've not felt the need to put any more on mine. I did find that also putting slightly larger feet helped a little as it got more space for ventilation.

On the plus side, in the winter, I find the Valhalla runs very cool... :wink:

Feb 5, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #417 of 2,717
Feb 5, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #418 of 2,717
Speaking of contact resistance and such, did we have a unanimous opinion on the cheapy socket savers versus the $25US a pop savers? I really don't roll much so a $170 CND is not worth it. I can grab these from a Canadian distributor but if the cheap ones are no good, I'd rather just pass altogether.

Feb 5, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #419 of 2,717
Speaking of contact resistance and such, did we have a unanimous opinion on the cheapy socket savers versus the $25US a pop savers? I really don't roll much so a $170 CND is not worth it. I can grab these from a Canadian distributor but if the cheap ones are no good, I'd rather just pass altogether.
I've had the cheap ones in my unit for 6 weeks and haven't any any issues. The amp runs much cooler as well. $12 for 4 on eBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back