Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
Dec 17, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #376 of 2,717
I've got a perfect set of tubes for you for fixing exactly your observations: Siemens ECC85

I've posted my thoughts on this tube elsewhere in this thread.

When I had my HD800 I thought the stock set up was dry sounding. The ECC85 has much better low end than stock and a generally warmer sound. PM me, I have a pair I can part with for within your budget. No hum and not microphonic.

Thanks for the reply! Any idea how it would be with the HD600? How do they compare with the Amperexes?

Dec 17, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #377 of 2,717
I use JJ Gold tubes in mine. I like that they have a balanced smooth sound. Replacing the output tubes makes a world of difference, just get the tubes from Cryoset they are fantastic. The stock tubes from Schiit are well you know. 

Dec 17, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #378 of 2,717
What are the differences between the Amperex Orange Globe 6DJ8 and Orange PQ 6DJ8,for some reason the PQ is cheaper but I thought the PQs are better?

Dec 18, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #380 of 2,717
I went from the Stock tubes to some early 80's Russian gold grid 6n6p's. I was not able to tell a difference. If there was it was to subtle for me to notice. I will only concentrate on input tubes unless some one has found otherwise.

Dec 18, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #381 of 2,717
I've been reading and it looks like there's no need to change the longer tubes (output tubes?) Just the shorter tubes (input tubes?) when you're rolling different tubes. Is that correct?

Dec 24, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #385 of 2,717
Can anyone compare the sounds of the Amperex Orange Globes and Amperex Bugle Boys in the Valhalla 2 specifically for the Sennheiser HD600 or perhaps the HD650?

Dec 27, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #386 of 2,717
I have a Valhalla 2 and HD650 setup. To me, there was not enough difference between the two to comment on. If all tubes are authentic and matched, then I believe the Orange Globes may be ever so slightly warmer than the Bugle Boys. I say this because there are many counterfeit Bugle Boys out there. After much experimentation and expense, I have found that the earlier Heerlen, Holland e188cc's and/or e88cc have the warmest, richest sound in this system. Because I like the warmth this suits me well. For someone after more detail or neutrality, I would suggest the American-made (as opposed to the Holland-made) Amperex, the Telefunkens, or the Siemens. The Russian 6n23p's, if they are authentic, are to me a wonderfully balanced tube with less warmth and more detail than the Heerlens. You can contact rb2013 for those if you are interested. 

Here's a link that may help (although an analysis of the Russian Tubes are not part of the reviews):

http://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm

Cheers! 
beerchug.gif

Dec 29, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #387 of 2,717
Can anyone compare the sounds of the Amperex Orange Globes and Amperex Bugle Boys in the Valhalla 2 specifically for the Sennheiser HD600 or perhaps the HD650?

I have the Valhalla 2 and HD650 with Bugles and A-frame Orange labels. The A-frames are a tad warmer and seemingly livelier in presentation.  Really plays to the HD650's strengths in layering gorgeous mids and textures. Distorted guitars sound great, with bite and crunch.

The Bugles have become my preferred tubes though. Whilst the Bugles concede to the A-frames in macrodynamics, the gains in a more coherent soundstage, and a smoother and clearer upper register more than makes up for the slight compromise. I also find the Bugles more transparent, as they strike a lovely balance with my NAD M51 dac.

Dec 30, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #389 of 2,717
Thanks for input! I actually might be trying out the HD800 with my setup. Wonder what tubes would be good for the HD800. Already have the Amperex Orange Globes and now I have the Bugle Boys coming in as well. 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back