Schiit Valhalla for first tube amp?
Jul 23, 2012 at 7:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mursu

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm quite interested in the Schiit Valhalla, and thought it could be a good first tube amp experience for me. I just ordered a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50, and was wondering if the Valhalla is good for driving them as they recommend having 300-600ohm cans on the Schiit site, and the ATH-M50 is 32ohm?

Also if this is gonna work out just fine, could you guys recommend me some extra tubes to experiment with as well? I mainly listen to prog, classical, funk and jazz.

Oh and I have a Beresford TC-7520, that should work as the dac just fine, right?

Jul 23, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #2 of 5
No!, it wont sound good(IMO) with those cans. But I'd bet money the Asgard would sound great! or a woo wa6 if you need tubes, would sound Fantastic!

Jul 23, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #3 of 5
Oh I'd love a Woo Wa6, but it's bit out of my budget, sadly. Plus they don't seem to have a retailer in Europe which would kick the cost up even more in terms of customs. Bit out of ideas now then, I was thinking of Schiit Lyr as well, but apparently it's a hybrid tube/MOSFET amp, but is that a bad thing? Is it in between with sound of solid states and pure tube amps?

Jul 23, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
Oh I'd love a Woo Wa6, but it's bit out of my budget, sadly. Plus they don't seem to have a retailer in Europe which would kick the cost up even more in terms of customs. Bit out of ideas now then, I was thinking of Schiit Lyr as well, but apparently it's a hybrid tube/MOSFET amp, but is that a bad thing? Is it in between with sound of solid states and pure tube amps?

If you buy a b-stock Asgard from Schiit, you can use it,save up money, do a bunch of research, buy the correct tube amp, and sell the Asgard at a loss of $40.

Jul 25, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
If you buy a b-stock Asgard from Schiit, you can use it,save up money, do a bunch of research, buy the correct tube amp, and sell the Asgard at a loss of $40.

Okay, read a lot of reviews, opinions and specs of Asgard, Lyr and Valhalla and indeed I'm now favouring  the Asgard as a good stepping stone for now, looks like it's gonna be pretty nice for the cans. Thanks for the tip!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back