Schiit Two Channel Clubhouse
Sep 26, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #841 of 972
Generally I'd start with what you posses, i.e. Modius and change the amplifier section only. Then you will see, resp. hear. Just an idea, isn't one Aegir enough for Cornwalls, as they are highly sensitive?
I’d try one aegir first too. I’ve heard that Klipsch over estimates the sensitivity of their speakers, but a single aegir is enough to power my forte IIs.
As far as one Aegir being enough...probably. Then again what's enough in this hobby? I wouldn't have purchased Cornwall IVs if I was just looking for enough haha. Heresy IVs would have been much easier on my wallet and fit in my house much better. 80watts of pure class A for $1600 is still a damn good deal. And I like the sound of 80watts of class A for $1600 a lot better than I like the sound of 20watts of class A for $800.
This is great news!

Personally, I think finding an end-game amp is easier than a DAC. DACs are subtle beasts, quick to <fill-n-the-blank>.
Amps can distangle the sounds and provide the dynamics you want and you're done.

VIdars are really close to endgame (haven't heard Aegirs). Or you can go nuts and wait for the Tyr to come out.
Do we know anything about the Tyr? Class A? Integrated? Monoblock? I bet it's going to be highhhhhhh end...
I prefer the Ragnarok 2 over the Vidar. Haven't had the Aegir, either. The XTZ Edge A2-300 sounds surprisingly similar to the Ragnarok 2 despite being class D, and I like it a lot as well.
I've definitely considered the Rag 2! I just like the idea of being able to play with tubes (Freya+), and with them being in the preamp stage I can also bypass them if I want to. I've never owned anything with tubes before. So I'm looking forward to going down that hole....

Sep 26, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #842 of 972
Do we know anything about the Tyr? Class A? Integrated? Monoblock? I bet it's going to be highhhhhhh end...

There's a bit of info about Tyr in the Schiit thread. Sounds like it'll be Class A-ish like the Aegir, and much more powerful. Monoblock only. About $1600 a side. FWIW, Jason said it's the best product Schiit has ever produced.

Sep 26, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #843 of 972
I've definitely considered the Rag 2! I just like the idea of being able to play with tubes (Freya+), and with them being in the preamp stage I can also bypass them if I want to. I've never owned anything with tubes before. So I'm looking forward to going down that hole....
You could crank up the volume on the Ragnarok 2 and treat it like a power amp. A little cheaper than 2x Aegir and you get a free headphone out :)

Sep 26, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #844 of 972
There's a bit of info about Tyr in the Schiit thread. Sounds like it'll be Class A-ish like the Aegir, and much more powerful. Monoblock only. About $1600 a side. FWIW, Jason said it's the best product Schiit has ever produced.
You could crank up the volume on the Ragnarok 2 and treat it like a power amp. A little cheaper than 2x Aegir and you get a free headphone out :)

Dammit dammit dammit ugh. Now I want to wait for it! Do we have a release window for it? Like Q1 2022 maybe? Maybe I could score a Rag 2 to hold me over until then....I've gotta get these speakers off this A/V receiver....

Sep 27, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #845 of 972
Dammit dammit dammit ugh. Now I want to wait for it! Do we have a release window for it? Like Q1 2022 maybe? Maybe I could score a Rag 2 to hold me over until then....I've gotta get these speakers off this A/V receiver....
I'm not sure even Schiit knows about release date. Hopefully 2021, but will see.

A few notes on Tyr...

2021 Sep 26
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-two-channel-clubhouse.843459/post-16583462

2021 Jun 8 - Jason Stoddard - HeadFi
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-5199#post-16398654

I'll bring Tyr. Still green board prototype, but red board production is here...at least you can see why this is totally, totally insane.

2021 Jun 9 - filthy mechanical - HeadFi
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-5201#post-16400427

Looked Ragnarok-ish, same side headsinks/similar.

2021 Jun 10 - tincanear - HeadFi
Tyr is Nexus + Continuity, so can be driven with an SE or balanced preamp (don't necessarily need a Freya, Magnius, or Jotunheim 2).
@Dana Reed Yeah, I also heard 200W into 8, and 400W into 4 ohms, but with continuity it should be very clean and refined power, like a super Aegir.
"only" 160,000 uF main filter capacitance...but also with the massive input choke.
I enabled closed caption headings on the livestream... 'Schiit' becomes ****, 'farads' becomes 'ferrets', 'Sabre DACS' becomes 'savored axe'

2021 Mar 20 - Jason Stoddard - HeadFi
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-4917#post-16251066

Another update: gonna be a crazy year. Tyr (AKA biggus ampius) released to production, as well as Loki Max and Folkvangr (10 tube headphone amp), and another one on the inexpensive end of things, and Urd beta now in production, and a couple other things. Plus next week. And a couple weeks after that.

Buckle. The. ****. Up.

(Standard disclaimers apply: things may be delayed due to my incompetence/supply chain/aliens/more COVIDs/meteors or other end-of-the-world scenarios, whatever.)
///
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-4922#post-16252466

Hey all, a disclaimer: "released to production" does not necessarily mean "imminent." There's still wait time for PCBs, kits, first articles, and, in most cases, chassis. I decided to share because (a) it's a profound relief to get these things done, (b) they don't really affect any of our current products--all of these are fairly expensive, and (c) I really think we're looking at shipping all these products this year. But to talk a bit more about "released to production."

Further complicating matters is Folkvangr is a new form factor chassis--and it has more challenges than a typical chassis (we're still A-Bing how best to keep the most heat out of the chassis, which involves trade-offs that push the limit of our vendors' deep-drawing abilities.) It's not that it won't work, it's just how to make it work best. Folkvangr dissipates about 110-120W at idle, so keeping this from being a headphone amp/grille combo is important.
And yes, Tyr is a monoblock amplifier.
Other details/specs/etc will have to wait, sorry.
Now, back to working on alts for Folkvangr chassis insert to 3D print.
///

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #847 of 972
would 80w of pure class A be a space heater suitable for Vermont winters?

Sep 27, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #848 of 972
From the above I see some proposed numbers for Tyr:
- 200W into 8, and 400W into 4 ohms
- "only" 160,000 uF main filter capacitance...but also with the massive input choke.

Which I compare to Vidar published specs:
Stereo, 8 Ohms: 100W RMS per channel
Stereo, 4 Ohms: 200W RMS per channel
Mono, 8 ohms: 400W RMS
And from the FAQs:
600VA transformer and 40,000uF of filter capacitance—20,000 for each channel

Can anyone comment on this comparison? Tyr 200W into 8 vs. Vidar in mono, 400W into 8? 160,000 uF main filter capacitance for Tyr vs. 40,000uF for Vidar? Tyr rated to 4 ohms and Vidar mono specifcally not? I'm running mono Vidars so I'm curious.

Sep 27, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #849 of 972
I'm going to cross-post to the main Schiit thread, as it gets more action.

Sep 27, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #850 of 972
Dec 10, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #851 of 972
Hello all! I love my Schiit and am probably on the path to more schiit but first I'll tell you what's already in my heaping schiit pile:
Yggy a2, freya+, lokius, and an Aegir.

So I am wondering if my original thought of my speakers being highly sensitive was wrong or exaggerated in my mind and they do actually need more power than a single aegir to preform with the best resolution and also not damage the speakers.

My speakers are the klipsch rp8000f and I believe they are 8 ohm rated at 150w rms. Klipsch specifically addresses these speakers in their faqs as an example as to make sure use an amp with high enough power not to damage the speakers over time and get the most out of the speakers.

I think they say 100w/channel is enough but I'm not even close to that with one aegir. Of course at full volume my ears would explode, but is there something in the sound I'm missing by not having enough power? And are the speakers really at risk of damage in this situation?

Should I get two vidars instead of the aegir? Or the rag2?
Or should I get different speakers that will need less power if I'm trying to stick with schiit amps?

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2021 at 11:33 PM Post #852 of 972
@prosnowboarder According to the google those things are 98 dB/W/m .
This calculator says that at 3m (9+ft) the db will be 88.46 dB: https://www.omnicalculator.com/physics/distance-attenuation

Unless your room is large or full of stuffin, you should be fine with an Aegir.

Now, if you want a Vidar I see some acoustic luminary claims that for accurate sound one needs 500W/ch.

HST, if you crank the volume to get the Aegir to use all its juice, bad things will probably happen. Question is, would that be before your ears bleed and your house explodes or after :-D

P.S. I typically listen somewhere between 50-70dB at my listening position. That means I wouldn't even be using one watt of your Aegir. Using the calc above I'm using two whole watts from my amps.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #853 of 972
Well I like that answer, a lot, as I shouldn't need any more schiit(until the urd is released). Maybe one day I will compare with a higher power amp with warmer sound signature like marrants since these speakers seem to ask for that from others reviewers experiences. I'll report back here when that day comes. Til then I am happy as a pig in schiit!

Any recommendation on speakers in the $2000 range to match the yggy freya+ and aegir combo? Ones you own or have tried preferably

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #854 of 972
Well I like that answer, a lot, as I shouldn't need any more schiit(until the urd is released). Maybe one day I will compare with a higher power amp with warmer sound signature like marrants since these speakers seem to ask for that from others reviewers experiences. I'll report back here when that day comes. Til then I am happy as a pig in schiit!

Any recommendation on speakers in the $2000 range to match the yggy freya+ and aegir combo? Ones you own or have tried preferably

I have the Zu Omen Dirty Weekend with a single Aegir and Freya S. Fabulous combination. The Dirty Weekend is no more, but the Omen 2 are still around at just a tad over 2K the pair. Worth a look to see is that is something you might enjoy.

Dec 11, 2021 at 1:08 AM Post #855 of 972
@prosnowboarder the Klipsch rp8000f spec sheet lists them as 98dB/2.83V/1m which is not necessarily the same thing as 98dB/1W/1m as they don't list the impedance as 8 ohms but as "8 ohms compatible" so likely they are in the range of 5-6 ohms, and the real efficiency number is probably 92 or 94 dB/1W/1m. Aegir in stereo mode is rated to 40Wpc into 4 ohm loads and should deliver ~30Wpc into the rp8000f.

If played very loudly (or with the lokius' 20Hz bass control boosted excessively) clipping of a smaller amplifier is more likely than with a more powerful one. The clipping (which should be audible) generates significant odd-harmonic high frequency energy, which will likely burn up the tweeters (titanium or not).

If you need more power, and intend to keep these speakers, then a single Vidar might be the way to go. Dual monoblock Aegir's into a 4 ohm load may run hot and trip the thermal shutdown if pushed hard. If you like the sound signature of the Aegir, then real hi-efficiency speakers (like the Zu) might be an option if you are maxxing out the Aegir / rp8000f combo.

If you add a powered sub instead, try backing off the 20Hz control on Lokius to ease the load on the Aegir, and boost the sub's volume control to compensate.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back