Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 9, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #78,001 of 151,220
My B Stock Modi 3+ arrived in Ohio much quicker from Texas than the A Stock that shipped from California. (Travel time only, not counting the long wait for the A to get built). The California version spent three days in California after leaving Schiit's hands. The B stock looks great, as good as the A stock. It came with all the cords and other bits. I will try it out later today.

Edit: Four songs played, sounds great. If there is a burn-in period I cannot detect it. Perhaps as a B stock some previous owner burned it in, I wonder if it was burned in with classical, rap or country?
If it is a b-stock Texas Modi it has never been used beyond our quality assurance processes. The b-stock would have been due to a minor cosmetic defect. California is handling customer service and returns. Texas is 100% focused on building, testing, and shipping. Right now we are handling all three Magni variants, Modi 3+, Fulla 4, Hel 2, Loki Mini+, SYS, and Modius. We anticipate adding Magnius to our list in about 10 days.

Jun 9, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #78,002 of 151,220
This thinking makes no sense to me... IMHO we should all treat everyone nicely regardless of being armed or not. Also if someone is carrying concealed (properly) you would never even know they are armed in the first place.

Welllllllllll, unless their clothing is a little too tight and/or short and they start printing and/or exposing the weapon. I've seen a few examples in real life. Nothing much came to pass though.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #78,003 of 151,220
Not sure if it's DietPi, or my older Hifiberry Digi Pro HAT, but my PC connected via USB -> Unison BF2 is notably better than my RPi to BF2 via coax S/PDIF. Unison sounds more open and airy with a clearer top-end and wider soundstage. Makes S/PDIF sound a bit congested and muddy. I guess Mike wasn't BS'ing about the virtues of Unison. I'll try piCorePlayer this weekend and see if there's a diff.

I suspect I'll end up with a Pi 4 and USB connection to BF2/Unison. The Pi 3B+ and S/PDIF HAT is just for fun and education at this point.
I normally use S/PDIF Coax from my Digi Pro to BF1, and straight up USB from a Pi4 to BF2's Unison in. Like them both, but the Unison is better from the Pi4. I'll be interested to hear what you think. I've not tried DietPi, I've only used piCorePlayer, but I'm happy with it.

Hmmmm. I have a Schiit EITR in my closet. I wonder if Pi3 B+ USB out to EITR and then EITR S/PDIF coax to BF2 might further narrow the gap on my work from home station. :thinking:
Hmmmmm indeed. But too many notes, methinks... Or perhaps nodes is more apropos there.

You mean Ducking Autocorrect?
Now THERE'S a typo! Everyone thinks vowels are big deals - but one consonant can change the world.

Jun 9, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #78,004 of 151,220
I normally use S/PDIF Coax from my Digi Pro to BF1, and straight up USB from a Pi4 to BF2's Unison in. Like them both, but the Unison is better from the Pi4. I'll be interested to hear what you think. I've not tried DietPi, I've only used piCorePlayer, but I'm happy with it.

I think I've settled on Pi 4B w/ piCorePlayer and go USB to BF2 on my main HP and 2 channel rig. I'll just keep USB to BF2 direct connection on my work from home rig. The Pi 3B+ and the Digi Pro will serve as my mess-around unit to try new things and ultimately be used as a Roon endpoint on the patio, where SQ is not the primary objective. For the patio, I'll likely play around with a battery pack and press my 7" Pi screen back into action. Fun times ahead!! :D

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 8:57 PM Post #78,007 of 151,220
Ohhhh SNAP!!! I was hoping Tyr would be in the Ragnarok size chassis!!!! @Jason Stoddard I volunteer to be tribute as a Beta tester!
But if quested with this awesome task, that doth surely raiseth the question...Art thou the Master Beta Tester?
Yes, 'tis most ribald of me and so I wouldst beg a boon of thee all and pray forgiveness for mine transgression.
I shall take my leave of thee and return anon.

Lord but I am olde.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #78,008 of 151,220
I think I've settled on Pi 4B w/ piCorePlayer and go USB to BF2 on my main HP and 2 channel rig. I'll just keep USB to BF2 direct connection on my work from home rig. The Pi 3B+ and the Digi Pro will serve as my mess-around unit to try new things and ultimately be used as a Roon endpoint on the patio, where SQ is not the primary objective. For the patio, I'll likely play around with a battery pack and press my 7" Pi screen back into action. Fun times ahead!! :D
indeed! I built a Pi Screen and a 4b into a lovely Squeezebox Touch emulator. Works and looks a treat! Hope you enjoy - and playing around with stuff is more than half the fun!

Jun 9, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #78,009 of 151,220
So chokes - aside from the weight and the volume getting silly, is there other reasons not to use a choke aside from some very valid volume/weight issues. Since the new product is a choke input amp (Tyr).

And since I am learning out magnetic studies, how much fun is getting stuff to pass the FCC/etc - asking since I am learning about that with work (its fun learning that it can take 15m to reach 5mT on some industrial gear).

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #78,010 of 151,220
Can we get an initial dimensions on the Tyr? need to make space for two

Jun 9, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #78,013 of 151,220
At 26:45, Mike mentions that using an R2R dac could potentially fry/mess up an amp. I've never heard of this before. I always thought that you could pretty much just "pick" any amp and "pick" any dac and hook them up and you'd be fine. If you were to pick an R2R dac would you actually have to be really careful with which amp you choose?

Jun 9, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #78,015 of 151,220
At 26:45, Mike mentions that using an R2R dac could potentially fry/mess up an amp. I've never heard of this before. I always thought that you could pretty much just "pick" any amp and "pick" any dac and hook them up and you'd be fine. If you were to pick an R2R dac would you actually have to be really careful with which amp you choose?
I think he was referring to a NOS DAC without a filter that can remove the real high frequencies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back