Schiit Two Channel Clubhouse
Oct 1, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #751 of 972
I know this is a bit off topic for this thread, but it’s a follow up to the ACA amp posts above.. Now I know why my 95dB sensitive Daedalus Athena speakers didn’t sing out like the 86db sensitive 2 way NHT speakers with only 8 watts !!
LOL.. it looks like a self powered speaker amp and not a passive crossover.. This setup is used on entire Daedalus line.. that’s insane..
9925189A-AFA1-499F-A328-0EE6F9611CFF.jpeg

Oct 1, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #752 of 972
I know this is a bit off topic for this thread, but it’s a follow up to the ACA amp posts above.. Now I know why my 95dB sensitive Daedalus Athena speakers didn’t sing out like the 86db sensitive 2 way NHT speakers with only 8 watts !!
LOL.. it looks like a self powered speaker amp and not a passive crossover.. This setup is used on entire Daedalus line.. that’s insane..
I'm confused about this. If it is a powered speaker, it would have RCA or XLR input connectors (not speaker terminals), and how did you manage to connect an ACA power amp to it? Not to mention that it should also have an AC power plug. I see no powered speakers on the Daedalus Audio website (all passive).

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #753 of 972
It is not a powered speaker, it’s the speaker at the factory being assembled Without the back panel on. It’s the same speakers I own..
“the crossovers are made by Guy Veralrud designs unique passive crossover networks for each Daedalus speaker from scratch, using extremely high end capacitors, and handmade inductors. Daedalus uses Duelund resistors and several different high-end caps for voicing. There are no electrolytic caps in any Daedalus design.”

I'm confused about this. If it is a powered speaker, it would have RCA or XLR input connectors (not speaker terminals), and how did you manage to connect an ACA power amp to it? Not to mention that it should also have an AC power plug. I see no powered speakers on the Daedalus Audio website (all passive).

Oct 1, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #754 of 972
It is not a powered speaker, it’s the speaker at the factory being assembled Without the back panel on. It’s the same speakers I own..
“the crossovers are made by Guy Veralrud designs unique passive crossover networks for each Daedalus speaker from scratch, using extremely high end capacitors, and handmade inductors. Daedalus uses Duelund resistors and several different high-end caps for voicing. There are no electrolytic caps in any Daedalus design.”
Ok, I misunderstood your post. Daedalus makes a big deal about the high sensitivity of their speakers and it's surprising that the ACA isn't adequate.

Oct 1, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #755 of 972
Oct 6, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #756 of 972
For those with the Freya + who are concerned about heat ... speaking about the left side above the Transformers... I measured 48C above the two transformers and 38C right of the tubes on top after a few hours of operation. I looked up the transformer series used and they’re rated to an operating maximum of 155C degrees.. Not used to the actual transformers running so hot as these do.. but well within its parameters..

Oct 12, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #757 of 972
LOL.. it looks like a self powered speaker amp and not a passive crossover.. This setup is used on entire Daedalus line.. that’s insane..9925189A-AFA1-499F-A328-0EE6F9611CFF.jpeg

Less is more, doesn't appear to be in the designers vocabulary. :ksc75smile:

Nov 15, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #758 of 972
For all you two channel folk out there, I’d love to draw on the collective experience in addressing/dealing with the issue of speaker placement and specifically the issue of having “stuff” between the speakers.

In my 20’ x 19’ room, I can’t avoid having a 55” TV and stand sit between my Maggie 1.7s, even though I don’t use them from TV sound. I have them more than three feet out from the wall, toed in, tweeters to the inside, spaced about 5’ apart, with the listening spot (an 8’ couch) about 8’ back from the speakers. One thing I did do is draw forward the TV stand to be more level with the Maggies rather than sit all the way back at the wall.

While I have a little more placement adjustment to do, I will say at this point I am thoroughly enjoying the system I have put together and I am not noticing any overt acoustic idiosyncrasies; however I suspect some of that is a case of my simply not knowing what I’m missing, as I am still relatively early in my journey, so, what am I missing :)

Nov 15, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #759 of 972
For all you two channel folk out there, I’d love to draw on the collective experience in addressing/dealing with the issue of speaker placement and specifically the issue of having “stuff” between the speakers.

In my 20’ x 19’ room, I can’t avoid having a 55” TV and stand sit between my Maggie 1.7s, even though I don’t use them from TV sound. I have them more than three feet out from the wall, toed in, tweeters to the inside, spaced about 5’ apart, with the listening spot (an 8’ couch) about 8’ back from the speakers. One thing I did do is draw forward the TV stand to be more level with the Maggies rather than sit all the way back at the wall.

While I have a little more placement adjustment to do, I will say at this point I am thoroughly enjoying the system I have put together and I am not noticing any overt acoustic idiosyncrasies; however I suspect some of that is a case of my simply not knowing what I’m missing, as I am still relatively early in my journey, so, what am I missing :)

I went from this :
B2F56643-3DD4-48FE-8042-25ABD0E20092.jpeg

To this:
89C80874-3EB7-4E59-A9BF-E717AB79E004.jpeg

Made a huge improvement in every area.. The speakers can breathe.. the soundstage and tonal accuracy improved tenfold.. now the sound system has the room priority and we still get to watch TV, which isn’t very often.. My amp also gets better cooling ..

Nov 15, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #760 of 972
For those exploring speaker set up, the Cardas Cable website has some interesting room set up guides and articles.
http://cardas.com/room_setup_main.php

Here's their set up calculators, available for both conventional speakers and dipoles.
http://cardas.com/room_setup_calculators.php

I used Audio Physic's method to set up my Virgo 2's. The Cardas set up calculator suggested placing my speakers within 1.5 inches of their current position, that's pretty close!

Nov 15, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #761 of 972
I can’t avoid having a 55” TV and stand sit between my Maggie 1.7s, even though I don’t use them from TV sound.
Having something like that in between the speakers will distort imaging and soundstage and probably change the tonality in ways you wouldn't like.

To compare, get something like a nice thick quilt (like, 2-4in of feathers thick) and drape it over the TV. Compare with quilt and without quilt and that will give you a sense of how having the TV there affects the sound.

Nov 16, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #762 of 972
Having something like that in between the speakers will distort imaging and soundstage and probably change the tonality in ways you wouldn't like.

To compare, get something like a nice thick quilt (like, 2-4in of feathers thick) and drape it over the TV. Compare with quilt and without quilt and that will give you a sense of how having the TV there affects the sound.

The TV was causing the “Hard” sound I was having.. I used a blanket over the TV at times, and it helped some.. but was a hassle to deal with.. I now have a much better presentation of music, but basically took over the room for audio.. The wife is accepting of my disease and I promised to stay out of the other rooms..
The sound has changed dramatically and Is more realistic of a soundstage.. deeper soundstage and no harshness I was experiencing before.. No cable or component swaps were going to correct the issue until I changed the room..

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #763 of 972
The TV was causing the “Hard” sound I was having.. I used a blanket over the TV at times, and it helped some.. but was a hassle to deal with.. I now have a much better presentation of music, but basically took over the room for audio.. The wife is accepting of my disease and I promised to stay out of the other rooms..
The sound has changed dramatically and Is more realistic of a soundstage.. deeper soundstage and no harshness I was experiencing before.. No cable or component swaps were going to correct the issue until I changed the room..
Nice thing about Maggies is that they don't radiate too much to the sides. That probably helps immensely in your situation.

Dec 1, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #764 of 972

inspired by this, my wife and I re-configured the room such that the Maggies now have nothing at all between them, and are about 5ft in to the room; very happy with the change!

Dec 1, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #765 of 972
what are Sol owners here doing for a dust-cover for their TT? I'm researching whether I can find a local fabricator to make me a five-sided acrylic box to cover the footprint of the unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back