Schiit Two Channel Clubhouse
Sep 20, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #721 of 972
Apropo of nothing:
Has anyone tried out these odd, omnidirectional speakers with a Schiit Vidar? I won't be able to purchase a 2-channel rig until we move out of Fawlty Towers (this condo). I can still muse, ponder, and bs...

https://ohmspeaker.com/speakers/walsh-tall/#wt-1000

Prices start at $1000 USD and I find that reasonable. 6-8 week build time? I'm intrigued...
1600630930329.png

If you haven't already, look at Z-Reviews on YouTube. He does a review on the Ohm Walshes. But not as heard through the Freya+.

I wonder if the omni directional sound from these might negate the "holography" the tubes in the Freya+ can give. I have NO experience with Ohm but dam they look good!

Sep 20, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #722 of 972
Apropo of nothing:
Has anyone tried out these odd, omnidirectional speakers with a Schiit Vidar? I won't be able to purchase a 2-channel rig until we move out of Fawlty Towers (this condo). I can still muse, ponder, and bs...

Prices start at $1000 USD and I find that reasonable. 6-8 week build time? I'm intrigued...
1600630930329.png
I was thinking about the smaller ones. Made in Brooklyn, like Captain America :)

Sep 20, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #723 of 972
Apropo of nothing:

1600630930329.png
Ohm Acoustics has been around a long time and favorably reviewed in audiophile circles. They have loyal fans but never really caught on with those in the audio "hobby" — maybe just a little too different?

Sep 21, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #724 of 972
Hmm, the Walsh's are rated as 6ohm and at moderate-to-high sensitivity, so it's possibly doable with mono Vidars. It really depends if there are dips in the impedance curve much lower than 6 ohms and where they are...

Sep 21, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #725 of 972
Ragnarok 2 driving my Klipsch Cornwall iii and sounding great.

20200921_000502.jpg

20200921_002823.jpg

20200921_002854.jpg

Sep 21, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #726 of 972
Very nice.

Sep 21, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #728 of 972
Hmm, the Walsh's are rated as 6ohm and at moderate-to-high sensitivity, so it's possibly doable with mono Vidars. It really depends if there are dips in the impedance curve much lower than 6 ohms and where they are...
I went looking for impedance curves. Didn't find any. I found some Stereophile reviews of some older floorstanding Ohms.

Sep 21, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #729 of 972
Apropo of nothing:
Has anyone tried out these odd, omnidirectional speakers with a Schiit Vidar? I won't be able to purchase a 2-channel rig until we move out of Fawlty Towers (this condo).
If you're in the Cleveland area a-local-pickup opportunity exists for some Larsen 4.2. They are supposed to be great apartment speakers:
Here's a review: https://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/larsen42_e.html

Sep 22, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #730 of 972
...soo... I should buy 2 Vidars... yes????!!!!!! :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile: Sorry, @Varejao17 . I'll do my homework before buying a set of either these or a pair of Magnepan... and that won't happen for a least a couple of years (1 year in Fawlty Towers with thunderous walls of sound that will rattle the chinaware [and then move out]).

Sep 23, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #731 of 972
...soo... I should buy 2 Vidars... yes????!!!!!! :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile: Sorry, @Varejao17 . I'll do my homework before buying a set of either these or a pair of Magnepan... and that won't happen for a least a couple of years (1 year in Fawlty Towers with thunderous walls of sound that will rattle the chinaware [and then move out]).

Ooops - missed that you hadn't spec'd dual monoblock Vidars. A single Vidar would be OK. The issue with running Vidars in bridged mono mode is that they are less able to deal with low impedances - hence there is no specified power rating bridged into 4 ohms.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #732 of 972
FWIW, I am currently running a pair Magnepan 1.7is off a single Vidar; I have allowed for an eventual upgrade to a second Vidar so I can run both as balanced/mono amps. I can't say I find the current setup wanting though I am by no means pushing the Vidar into high decibel realms.

Sep 23, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #733 of 972
FWIW, I am currently running a pair Magnepan 1.7is off a single Vidar; I have allowed for an eventual upgrade to a second Vidar so I can run both as balanced/mono amps. I can't say I find the current setup wanting though I am by no means pushing the Vidar into high decibel realms.
Tracking right there with you, Renault4. Using a single Vidar to drive a pair of Magnepan LRS's. Have had good success - plenty loud and wall shaking. Got a Yggdrasil GS a few weeks ago and it's really upped the sound quality of the Vidar / LRS combo. So revealing. Last piece - a pair of Magna Risers MK-7 stands. Once those arrive, I think the system is set!

Sep 24, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #734 of 972
Ooops - missed that you hadn't spec'd dual monoblock Vidars. A single Vidar would be OK. The issue with running Vidars in bridged mono mode is that they are less able to deal with low impedances - hence there is no specified power rating bridged into 4 ohms.

I ran a pair of Aegir amps in bridged mode for awhile when I had a pair of Focal 1028 speakers.. Sounded pretty good..
I then replaced the Focals with a pair of Daedalus Athena’s , I kept the Aegir amps bridged in monos for a couple of months before I
tried a single Aegir in stereo mode.. The difference was not subtle... The sound was way more musical and Class A like.. everything was smoother and more natural sounding.. Plenty of volume and dynamics from the single amp, the daedelus speakers are 95.5 db sensitive with only a 1 ohm drop across the freq range.. so it was a good match for the Aegir in Stereo mode.. The Aegirs in mono mode weren’t near as good as non bridged mode... from my experience.. also had similar experiences in the past with other amps being bridged.. the power comes at the expense of some finesse and loss in naturalness.. have since moved on to a Pass labs XA25 Class A amp.. You can’t beat the Aegir price wise.. but there’s no going back after the Pass..

Sep 24, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #735 of 972
You can’t beat the Aegir price wise.. but there’s no going back after the Pass..
Can you/would you be able to describe the difference between the two?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back