Schiit Two Channel Clubhouse
Aug 23, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #691 of 972
I'm already musing about what my final (yeah, right) Schiit purchase will be this September-October, 2020. I'm been musing between EITHER a new source to feed my Bifrost OR a (Saga) + (Vidar) + (nicer speaker).

Question: can the thread suggest a pair of bookshelf-sized speakers that I can consider. I'd appreciate 3 different options to research.

-a- Most of my listening up to now has been headphones, powered by Schiit products. I'd prefer a loudspeaker-brand that adheres to philosophies like Schiit Audio.
-b- I'm willing to wait. I'd prefer to buy them direct from the manufacturer/assembler.
-c- I have pets and a noise-averse spouse... so they can't sit on the floor and get clawed apart.
-d- I'd be listening to a wide variety of music on them. With my spouse, we'd be listening to FM stations that are being streamed over the internet.
-e- They'll be pushed up against a concrete wall (until we move out of our condo, I'll be enjoying these speakers at a distance of 1-2 metres).
-f- Maximum budget is $1000 CAD (or ~$750 USD). The Saga-Vidar combination will set me back ~$1100 USD ($1470 CAD?!). Christ, this'll cost over $2K.
-g- Ideally, I'd prefer them assembled in North America or Europe.

I've been spooked away from PSB Audio. I've had good experience with their customer service; however, I didn't enjoy their M4U headphones (they were lemons).

For Canadian speakers consider Fluance, Paradigm, Energy or Totem. Fluance are the new kids on the block, Paradigm are highly respected (my roommate had some floorstanders he loved, and he was a record producer), Energy have made Stereophile approved bookshelves, and Totem make amazing bookshelves - I have a pair of their (discontinured) Mani-2s and I will not give them up.

Good luck - it's nice to have options.

Aug 23, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #692 of 972
For Canadian speakers consider Fluance, Paradigm, Energy or Totem.
Of these, I've heard Totem and they sound great. OTOH, they partake of the audio disease and charge a premium for their products.

I like Legacy but new they are out of your price range.

Larsens against a wall sound amazing, supposedly. Absolute Sound has a recent review. Again, probably too pricey.

You could also consider Ohm Walsh. Made in Brooklyn and a variety of sizes and price points. $700-ish on their website. https://ohmspeaker.com/speakers/walsh-satellite/

Aperion Audio makes good stuff. https://www.aperionaudio.com/collections/satellites-bookshelf-speakers

RBH https://rbhsound.com/bookshelf.php

Aug 23, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #693 of 972

Some write up! I've only heard the 2 for 2 hours, so this is more about the 1.

2 does have better bass then the 1 - true.

The amp is very good for speakers and headphones (not as good on high resistance as on planars), the pre-amp isn't that great, it pulls in the sides on on soundstages, and the perspective isn't that deep. It would be good if it had a pre-amp in. Also in gain 3 "Hi" it sounds like your basic AB amp, the added detail esp. in the treble is missed from gain 1 and 2.

Its a swiss army knife. Not as good as the v281, but the v281 can't drive speakers either.

Had it for 4.5 years. No real complaints except I would pay extra if they had a better chasis for cooling the amp and it ran in Class A higher then 4 wpc, and of course it had a pre-in.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #694 of 972
Re: speaker suggestions for a future (SAGA) + (VIDAR) purchase. They’d be positioned on a weird listening angle. The walls in this condominium are brick–and-concrete (circa 1975 construction). They don’t build them like this anymore. My attentive listening sessions will be at <2m and not at full volume (my spouse values her silence).

I need to put some more thought into this purchase. :triportsad:

{{{edit... aaaand this is why I spend the extra money on fancy headphones}}}
The focal 906 at $999 plus occasional Amazon deal sound great. Bochardt s400 and genelec monitors on list of todo.

Aug 24, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #698 of 972
For Canadian speakers consider Fluance, Paradigm, Energy or Totem. Fluance are the new kids on the block, *snip*

I picked up a pair of Fluance XL7Fs and an XL7C back in 2014. I've been pretty impressed with them when running bi-amped.

Aug 25, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #699 of 972
I'm already musing about what my final (yeah, right) Schiit purchase will be this September-October, 2020. I'm been musing between EITHER a new source to feed my Bifrost OR a (Saga) + (Vidar) + (nicer speaker).

Question: can the thread suggest a pair of bookshelf-sized speakers that I can consider. I'd appreciate 3 different options to research.

-a- Most of my listening up to now has been headphones, powered by Schiit products. I'd prefer a loudspeaker-brand that adheres to philosophies like Schiit Audio.
-b- I'm willing to wait. I'd prefer to buy them direct from the manufacturer/assembler.
-c- I have pets and a noise-averse spouse... so they can't sit on the floor and get clawed apart.
-d- I'd be listening to a wide variety of music on them. With my spouse, we'd be listening to FM stations that are being streamed over the internet.
-e- They'll be pushed up against a concrete wall (until we move out of our condo, I'll be enjoying these speakers at a distance of 1-2 metres).
-f- Maximum budget is $1000 CAD (or ~$750 USD). The Saga-Vidar combination will set me back ~$1100 USD ($1470 CAD?!). Christ, this'll cost over $2K.
-g- Ideally, I'd prefer them assembled in North America or Europe.

I've been spooked away from PSB Audio. I've had good experience with their customer service; however, I didn't enjoy their M4U headphones (they were lemons).

Hello. Thought I'd share because you mention much of the system I've been assembling over the past couple of years. To set the stage, started with an old Panasonic clock radio and occasional Sonos Play speaker. So the bar was pretty low. After learning about Schiit and embracing Jason and Mike's story, decided to build something much more special. Got a Sonos Connect to feed a Loki Mini, to a Saga +, to a Vidar, to a pair of Magnepan LRS speakers. An amazing system for not much more than what you might buy at Best Buy. Better quality than anything they offer though. Then when Schiit offered the Bifrost Multibit on clearance, decided give that a try. Low price entry in to the world of separate (multibit) DAC's. This made the system much more revealing and enjoyable to listen to.

And then yesterday happened - Replaced the Bifrost with a Yggdrasil GS; which just arrived. This upgrade, even without a proper burn-in, is simply stunning. Hearing all kinds of new depth and precision - strings vibrate, singers breathe, and live performances are like they're here. The LRS speakers are very open and my system has really come alive with the Yggy.

Anyway - just thought I'd share because the Saga / Vidar / Magnepan LRS ($795/pair) work exceptionally well together, and to my ears are just amazing. Good luck with your final Schiit purchase!

Aug 25, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #700 of 972
Blurry photo, but just took my first Black Schiit today. Still haven’t figured out how I will incorporate them into my main system yet, but I’m sure I will eventually Maybe regretting selling my Freya S?? 🤷‍♂️

8B7BD973-3F3A-4325-B3A7-D0163BEA3900.jpeg

Aug 25, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #701 of 972
Blurry photo, but just took my first Black Schiit today. Still haven’t figured out how I will incorporate them into my main system yet, but I’m sure I will eventually Maybe regretting selling my Freya S?? 🤷‍♂️

8B7BD973-3F3A-4325-B3A7-D0163BEA3900.jpeg
Just hook it up if your speakers are sensitive enough...the Ragnarok 2 makes a very good preamp, and the Aegir is a more refined power amp than the Rag2.

Aug 25, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #702 of 972
Damn, how many Schiit threads are there? There's the schiit happened one that's like a chat room, then there's dedicated threads for all the products, and now I find this two channel clubhouse. Do we really need to spread the schiit around so much? Makes it hard to stay on top of schiit.

Aug 25, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #704 of 972
For Canadian speakers consider Fluance, Paradigm, Energy or Totem. Fluance are the new kids on the block, Paradigm are highly respected (my roommate had some floorstanders he loved, and he was a record producer), Energy have made Stereophile approved bookshelves, and Totem make amazing bookshelves - I have a pair of their (discontinured) Mani-2s and I will not give them up.

Don't ignore Verity, pricey, but used is more attainable. Parsifal is the best speaker I ever owned (over Martin-Logans, Quad, Magnepans, ProAc, Apogee, Dahlquist, etc.)

Aug 25, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #705 of 972
... and now I find this two channel clubhouse. ...
I didn't really use this schiit for headphones until recently. The considerations for a speaker system are so very different than for headphones. This thread is invaluable for that.

I don't really understand the HD6xx, Focal Elear/Clear whatchamacallit and v-shape, pear-shape, u-shape frequency response talk. I still don't understand why headphones come in 16/32/80/150/300 ohm varieties when speakers come in only two ohm varieties, 4 and 8.

My gumby is fed from a Lyngdorf digital preamp into Odyssey Stratos monoblocks into some Janszen zA2.1. The preamp is also my crossover and I use a Vidar to power a pair of TBI Magellans. I have another system slowly inching towards life consisting of a Sonos, Bifrost, B&W M-1 and an amp whose name I can't remember. I've used Belles, Episode, Krell, Parasound, Leon and RBH for amplification. Not at all the names that are common in headphone land.

Nothing like a headphone setup. I went to a headphone meet once and it was like being in a foreign country. I did get to hear some Blue Hawaiians, I think, and some other pricey stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back