Schiit Two Channel Clubhouse
Jul 1, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #661 of 972
...until I tried a Pass XA-25 amp in my system...
That's the one I want to audition in my system; I'm just afraid I will buy it if I do! My speakers are 98.8db/2.83W and 4 ohm, so the single Aegir has plenty of power. I'm waiting on a Freya+, then I will continue to listen for a few months before I check out the XA-25.

Jul 1, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #662 of 972
HAHA! I know the feeling, I hate a metal dome tweeter or a horn with a passion. They sound good for 15 - 20 minutes then they give me a headache. I can listen to my Dynaudio's indefinitely with no issue.

It's had to Pass on an XA-25, they are quite nice!

I now have a silk dome tweets that never disappoint ! I have been listening for Hours on end with sheer enjoyment..
I never thought a sand amp could sound so damn good !!
I never Heard a horn system that wasn’t shouting at me... immediacy yes.. just not for me...

Jul 1, 2020 at 6:05 AM Post #663 of 972
That's the one I want to audition in my system; I'm just afraid I will buy it if I do! My speakers are 98.8db/2.83W and 4 ohm, so the single Aegir has plenty of power. I'm waiting on a Freya+, then I will continue to listen for a few months before I check out the XA-25.

Life is short.. I had to try the XA-25.. you will be buying one if you do.. it’s that good.. The cheapest amp they make.. is also very different from the others.. with only a pair of output devices per channel.. the next amp up has 20 per channel.. The 25 doesn’t use any ballast resistors on the output transistors.. straight to the speakers.. it’s very transparent with tube like Sonics.. I’m listening to everything I own like it’s the first time..
I never owned an amplifier that made such a HUGE improvement without being distracting... organic sounding, not dry or sterile.. you would think there are tubes somewhere in there.. I use the Freya+ In passive mode a lot.. tubes make it even more airy.. but the Freya+ is a great match and so versatile... Enjoy !!

Jul 1, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #664 of 972
Ragnarok sounds so good to me that I think the tube preamp would be superfluous. The only benefit I see of going for Freya + Vidar x2 rather than Ragnarok is the remote. Unless your speakers really do require all that power, the convenience of the integrated amp for headphone usage makes it my first choice. I'm glad Jason now concedes that neglecting the remote for Ragnarok was an oversight.

I always felt my Ragnarok 1 was as good an SS HP amp as I've experienced. Very good with power hungry cans like my Abyss and few others I in-home demo'd over the years. And it did a good job driving my SR1a's thru the amplifier section until Jotunheim "R" arrived.. I sold my Ragnarok 1 in January to a good home because with 11 pieces of Schiit I needed to make some room for more new Schiit. Patiently awaiting the CD spinner. Curious to see what the feature set will be.

As for Yggdrasil, I've never heard Gumby but remember some posters thinking it was a warmer, more romantic sound where Yggdrasil was more towards the analytical. I liked Yggdrasil 1 enough that I bought a new 2 for my 2nd rig 3+ years later. Yeah, it was a PITA schlepping my 1 to Fed X and paying $80.00 (from the east coast) for shipping and insurance to upgrade it to a 2, and I'll have to go thru the dance all over again to upgrade both to Unison but I'm going to hear for myself if Unison plus Schiit's CD spinner is better than my current CD spinners and AES from the Yggdrasil's. Always something interesting and entertaining to do in this hobby.

Jul 8, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #665 of 972
So, Ive had my Freya + for a couple of months now... can’t say enough great things about it ! Ive owned some nice preamps Over the years; BAT VK5i, Blue circle BC-3, Cary audio, S&B TVC passive, etc... This Schiit comes Out on top in most areas... I became more enthusiastic about the Freya+ when I got some better tubes.. It came with the JJ tubes and I removed them after a week.. Went for the Tung sol new prod, noticed more clarity right away, better air, etc, a better tube all Around... Then I opened my old tube drawer from tubes of amps and pres gone by.. found some Sylvania GTB’s , getter tops but not the sought after chrome domes.. Wow.. better timbre, cleaner sound.. didn’t think it could be any cleaner.. but it was.. more flesh and depth to voices.. This preamp reacts nicely to Tube rolling.. I put my 2 best on the right And try to match best on the left.. Have a batch of 20 tubes coming That are all GT versions.. supposedly better sounding still.. all measuring almost to NOS from trusted known source.. The US/euro made tubes of yesteryear sound best to me.. In almost all instances.. Except for the BAT preamp and VK75SE amps.. they sounded best and lasted longest with new production tubes.. IME...
Stay healthy ! Enjoy the music..

A08CE2D8-0C66-4E54-8DF2-DD4D302EE674.jpeg

Jul 10, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #666 of 972
As for Yggdrasil, I've never heard Gumby but remember some posters thinking it was a warmer, more romantic sound where Yggdrasil was more towards the analytical. I liked Yggdrasil 1 enough that I bought a new 2 for my 2nd rig 3+ years later. Yeah, it was a PITA schlepping my 1 to Fed X and paying $80.00 (from the east coast) for shipping and insurance to upgrade it to a 2, and I'll have to go thru the dance all over again to upgrade both to Unison but I'm going to hear for myself if Unison plus Schiit's CD spinner is better than my current CD spinners and AES from the Yggdrasil's. Always something interesting and entertaining to do in this hobby.

I bought the Yggdrasil GS originally for my headphone setup.. but after trying it in my main system, I kept it there. It has the new chassis and firmware but uses the analog 1 cards and the gen 5 USB. I would like to upgrade it but am considering getting a new analog 2 w unison USB, keeping both. Not sure I would upgrade just for the unison USB Card alone.. How does the analog 2 compare ? Appreciate your opinion and experience.. I think schiit will sell you the unison card and you can install it yourself... but not the analog cards.. I would hate to send it in as I would miss it..
My USB out goes to my Bel Canto Reflink which reclocks and converts to AES into the Yggdrasil.. I have not done much AB listening as I made too many changes recently.. but the USB sounded fine when I did try it..

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #667 of 972
@ Mikem53

From a sound standpoint it is worth upgrading to my ears but the differences I compared side by side with my 1 and 2 units wasn't a second coming. Its not like the 1 unit was inferior in sound to the 2 unit. My first Yggdrasil with A boards became my unqualified first choice after comparing it with several D/S DACs I owned and borrowed (keeping in mind this was spring of 2016). I mean if you like the sound of the 1 board board your opinion is not going to change with a 2 board upgrade. My reason for going with Yggdrasil 1 right from the start was the sound, and upgrade-ability, and the 15 day return period. And even though the price was significantly higher for multibit than the next model down in the line my thinking has always been that the cheapest way to get the best is not thru buying and selling and buying and selling, working my way up the ladder. It was within the reach of my wallet and even with shipping & insurance and paying for the B board upgrade (still have USB3 on my 1 unit), it would still be cheaper. I purchased my 2 unit new and it came with USB5, Unison was not available at that time, sadly. Not that I used USB.

I wouldn't try and install an upgrade myself, I'm not worried about the taking apart its the putting it back together. And this cabinet is a design, from what I've read, that can throw some curve balls at you. I also believe that every thing is easy until you have to do it. Building a lot of Dynakits in the 70's doesn't make me a skilled electronic technician, especially in this digital age. Plus I like think they will do some, at least, rudimentary testing so I know that the unit is performing up to spec in all ways. And it just wouldn't make sense to go thru the process of returning just for the B board without upgrading to Unison at this point in time whether you use it presently, or not, like in my case. You never know when you'll wish you had Unison USB in case a CD spinner with USB out made by Schiit becomes available. Hell, I might even play around with download or streaming music at some point and I believe I'll be ready to get the best with Unison on board if I do. So it will be a round trip again, but for both my units this time.

Returning to the sound; because I've read that some think Gumby is warmer, and Yggdrasil more analytical doesn't make it so for all listeners. I can only say the reason I kept Yggdrasil 1 back in 2016 is because it was richer thru the mids and smoother on top to go along with great inner detailing than the several other D/S DACs I had experience with. Not by an order of magnitude better, but enough for me to justify the purchase of Yggdrasil 1 back then. I'm constantly impressed with what I hear thru Yggdrasil. The biggest limiting factor to my way of hearing it is the quality of the source recording and perhaps some ancillary equipment.

When I listen to Yggdrasil I never say to myself I need a better DAC, a better amp, a better headphone. I find myself thinking; why did they put the mics where the piano (concerto) sounds like it takes as much space on the stage as the rest of the orchestra? Why did the recording engineer push up the volume on that spotlight mic on the first trumpet during the opening horn triplets of Mahler 5 making the entry of the entire orchestra entry sound diminished and out of balance? Those cello's have the rich, airy, woody flavor that makes suspension of belief possible that this is accurate. Huh! That singer's voice went a little flat trying to sing that note so softly. As I think about the job and contribution each component in the chain makes to the end sound (excepting the transducer), the DAC is the keystone to that end sound as I hear it.

If you like the sound of your A board you are not going to dislike the sound of the B board, and maybe you will hear significantly more and better than I do. I do not regret my investments in Yggdrasil and that's why you buy one, to be able to upgrade to latest thoughts and technology, wallet permitting.

Now, I haven't heard a lot of today's pricier DACs out there, but any one who want to send me say, any $10,000.00 + DAC I'll be happy to evaluate and compare it with my Yggdrasil's.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #668 of 972
Thank you for the detailed response ! The Yggdrasil changed my life !! I have 2 other DACs and the Yggdrasil is the first one that made digital sound like music..
Not that the other DACs are terrible.. but the Yggdrasil has Detail, pace and air.. never sounding mechanical or too lean.. I didn’t think you could have this much resolution and not Sound analytical.. but the GS is working for me... of course I have to ponder how much better it could be... but for now I’m going to be happy with this setup... for now.. thanks again..

@ Mikem53

From a sound standpoint it is worth upgrading to my ears but the differences I compared side by side with my 1 and 2 units wasn't a second coming. Its not like the 1 unit was inferior in sound to the 2 unit. My first Yggdrasil with A boards became my unqualified first choice after comparing it with several D/S DACs I owned and borrowed (keeping in mind this was spring of 2016). I mean if you like the sound of the 1 board board your opinion is not going to change with a 2 board upgrade. My reason for going with Yggdrasil 1 right from the start was the sound, and upgrade-ability, and the 15 day return period. And even though the price was significantly higher for multibit than the next model down in the line my thinking has always been that the cheapest way to get the best is not thru buying and selling and buying and selling, working my way up the ladder. It was within the reach of my wallet and even with shipping & insurance and paying for the B board upgrade (still have USB3 on my 1 unit), it would still be cheaper. I purchased my 2 unit new and it came with USB5, Unison was not available at that time, sadly. Not that I used USB.

I wouldn't try and install an upgrade myself, I'm not worried about the taking apart its the putting it back together. And this cabinet is a design, from what I've read, that can throw some curve balls at you. I also believe that every thing is easy until you have to do it. Building a lot of Dynakits in the 70's doesn't make me a skilled electronic technician, especially in this digital age. Plus I like think they will do some, at least, rudimentary testing so I know that the unit is performing up to spec in all ways. And it just wouldn't make sense to go thru the process of returning just for the B board without upgrading to Unison at this point in time whether you use it presently, or not, like in my case. You never know when you'll wish you had Unison USB in case a CD spinner with USB out made by Schiit becomes available. Hell, I might even play around with download or streaming music at some point and I believe I'll be ready to get the best with Unison on board if I do. So it will be a round trip again, but for both my units this time.

Returning to the sound; because I've read that some think Gumby is warmer, and Yggdrasil more analytical doesn't make it so for all listeners. I can only say the reason I kept Yggdrasil 1 back in 2016 is because it was richer thru the mids and smoother on top to go along with great inner detailing than the several other D/S DACs I had experience with. Not by an order of magnitude better, but enough for me to justify the purchase of Yggdrasil 1 back then. I'm constantly impressed with what I hear thru Yggdrasil. The biggest limiting factor to my way of hearing it is the quality of the source recording and perhaps some ancillary equipment.

When I listen to Yggdrasil I never say to myself I need a better DAC, a better amp, a better headphone. I find myself thinking; why did they put the mics where the piano (concerto) sounds like it takes as much space on the stage as the rest of the orchestra? Why did the recording engineer push up the volume on that spotlight mic on the first trumpet during the opening horn triplets of Mahler 5 making the entry of the entire orchestra entry sound diminished and out of balance? Those cello's have the rich, airy, woody flavor that makes suspension of belief possible that this is accurate. Huh! That singer's voice went a little flat trying to sing that note so softly. As I think about the job and contribution each component in the chain makes to the end sound (excepting the transducer), the DAC is the keystone to that end sound as I hear it.

If you like the sound of your A board you are not going to dislike the sound of the B board, and maybe you will hear significantly more and better than I do. I do not regret my investments in Yggdrasil and that's why you buy one, to be able to upgrade to latest thoughts and technology, wallet permitting.

Now, I haven't heard a lot of today's pricier DACs out there, but any one who want to send me say, any $10,000.00 + DAC I'll be happy to evaluate and compare it with my Yggdrasil's.

Jul 12, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #669 of 972
... of course I have to ponder how much better it could be...

And that's the best part of investing in a piece like Yggdrasil. You can upgrade to rid yourself of the pondering, or not, your choice and at your leisure. Most likely cheaper than; buy - sell - take some inevitable loss dollar wise - buy new unit.

Jul 12, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #670 of 972
And that's the best part of investing in a piece like Yggdrasil. You can upgrade to rid yourself of the pondering, or not, your choice and at your leisure. Most likely cheaper than; buy - sell - take some inevitable loss dollar wise - buy new unit.

I owned the Aegir monos and kept them past the trial time as I was very pleased with the performance, even more so when I was able to use just one amp non bridged In stereo mode.. but then alas, I moved on and sold the amps for about the same it would have cost to ship them back from NC to CA, and the restocking fee..
good equipment holds its value.. especially when it’s only 3 months old... lol.. I have to laugh at myself...
Speaking of good equipment and schiit.. I would like to see them break out of their price fixation for just a bit, and create an all out product without price limitation and mass market sales worries. Not worry about it fitting in the same chassis, etc.. Would love to see what they could do.. Then they can dumb It down so it’s less costly somehow but just as good sounding... Jason and Mike have created some very fine pieces that are MUCH better than their prices would suggest. I have talked to some people who actually wouldnt consider schiit gear because it’s priced “too low” therefore... anyways.. I’ve been quite impressed with their SQ, build quality and their business philosophy..

Jul 25, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #672 of 972
I owned the Aegir monos and kept them past the trial time as I was very pleased with the performance, even more so when I was able to use just one amp non bridged In stereo mode.. but then alas, I moved on and sold the amps for about the same it would have cost to ship them back from NC to CA, and the restocking fee..
good equipment holds its value.. especially when it’s only 3 months old... lol.. I have to laugh at myself...
Speaking of good equipment and schiit.. I would like to see them break out of their price fixation for just a bit, and create an all out product without price limitation and mass market sales worries. Not worry about it fitting in the same chassis, etc.. Would love to see what they could do.. Then they can dumb It down so it’s less costly somehow but just as good sounding... Jason and Mike have created some very fine pieces that are MUCH better than their prices would suggest. I have talked to some people who actually wouldnt consider schiit gear because it’s priced “too low” therefore... anyways.. I’ve been quite impressed with their SQ, build quality and their business philosophy..

I agree. I sometimes find my mind trying to trick me to get something more costly... no one say humans are logical :)

that said, it would be nice if schiit put a power button on the front... or triggers...
(or maybe put the Aegir in a bigger case so it could cool itself better.)

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #673 of 972
that said, it would be nice if schiit put a power button on the front... or triggers...

Which reminds me. Is there anyone using Schiit gear with smart outlets? If powered down, does Schiit stuff (I'm thinking of DACs, Freya+, Aegir, etc.) remember state? I.e., on/off, volume level, I/O selections, etc.? Absent 12v triggers, has anyone rigged up something to sequence power-up flow, e.g., to eliminate thumps? I haven't found any pertinent discussions about this when I've searched. Thanks!

Jul 27, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #674 of 972
Which reminds me. Is there anyone using Schiit gear with smart outlets? If powered down, does Schiit stuff (I'm thinking of DACs, Freya+, Aegir, etc.) remember state? I.e., on/off, volume level, I/O selections, etc.? Absent 12v triggers, has anyone rigged up something to sequence power-up flow, e.g., to eliminate thumps? I haven't found any pertinent discussions about this when I've searched. Thanks!

For Freya+ - the last mode and selected input appears to be saved, and the volume knob determines volume (so if it isn’t moved then it stays the same).

The OG Freya and Saga may behave differently as the volume control is different.

Jul 27, 2020 at 10:38 PM Post #675 of 972

I've thought about doing it. But! do not do it on the r2r dacs (multibit).. those need a month of power to sound the best (for some reason.)
I have a UPS on my yggy to make sure it never shuts off :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back