Schiit Two Channel Clubhouse
Jun 20, 2019 at 9:44 PM Post #511 of 972
I have an OG Freya, but I got it with LISST since I didn’t want to mess with tubes. Of course now the Freya S would take care of that, providing extra gain with less noise. Though with Magnepans, I’m not really able to hear the noise floor even in tube gain
And OG Freya also gets pretty hot, but not as hot as a pair of Vidars pushing the 1.7i pair
Your way above my level in schitt, after reading your equipment listed i see your into mac pc interfacing front end components, and seriously into headphones, totally different from my set up, i happen to have a proceed amp-5 @ 125 wpc x 5 channels, as a 2 channel system, possibly why freya+ running so hot ... all i know for sure is when i cut off all the 3rd gnd prongs of all but 2 ac cable---- #1 my turntable (has captured ac cord) and #2 the wall outlet to my stealth purifier that all modified ac cables connect into all the iec cords were pc type and had a dozen of em laying around gathering dust. This modification alone lowered the noise floor to vanishing low levels, completely transforming my sound for the better! I heard the lisst ss tubes sound tube like, actually thought the freya+ would come with them , i got a premium matched quad of shuguang treasures cv181-z tubes coming on the slow boat from china, i got a pair of them in the input sockets now and made me a believer , this freya+ is outstanding as a s.s. pre as well, i love the sound of jfet or passive, my very efficient lores allow plenty of gain so volume in passive is not a problem, i just prefer the luscious clean and powerful sound the treasures thru freya+ give , this is a exciting time in audio, with elac and freya to name a couple of outstanding audio makers at very affordable prices.

Jun 22, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #513 of 972
I bought the original Freya because I wanted the Tube sound - so I'm not sure an update to the latest Freya would offer much for me.

The upgrades I'm contemplating (probably for 2020 at the earliest) are...

Upgrading my Vidar mono blocks to Aegir
Upgrading my Bifrost Multibit (Bimby) to Gugnir Multibit (Gumby)

However - I'm not expecting HUGE differences in either upgrade - because the current setup sounds so darn good.

The other thing I'm contemplating (which is silly, really) is swapping out my Mani for a Jotunheim with the passive phono option installed - and just using the Jot as a phono pre. I'm sure it wouldn't improve the sound one bit - but it would allow me to get rid of that darned wall wart. Those things bug the heck out of me for some reason :)

Jun 22, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #514 of 972
6-22-19  stereo pics 006.JPG
IndyLions... I went to schiit to learn what i could about your 2020 upgrade plan to the Aegir from the Vidar, way less power but way more class A up to 10w! That might be a real serious upgrade in sound if you have very efficient speakers that dont need hungry hungry hippo amps to feed them, If you perhaps have B&W or LS 50 KEF, and the like it might not pay off much, like you said in your post. Personally in my opinion the golden key to the schiit castle is easy to drive efficient speakers say above 92 db @ 1watt to get the full bang for the buck out of schiitt gear. As for your trading mani phono , all i can say is a quote from charlton heston well sort of .. ( you can have my mani when you pry it from my cold dead hands!! ) I love this thing , my marantz tt15s1 and virtuoso cart sound delicious and i came from a .. i schitt you not VPI classic 2 rosewood with a ART-9 MC ! I prefer the sound of the marantz w/ schiit mani, oh and i had a Sutherland 20/20 phono on that rig by the way. Yes i do know how to properly set up a uni pivot arm and cart alignment as well.All the dac changes in schiit line up are overwhelming to me, i got a LKS MH-DA004 dac and a PS Audio PWT feeding dac using a Harmonic Technologies (magic) hdmi cable to separate the the clock signal and L/R channels data issue altogether to eliminate chip needed to (sort out the kids if you will) What an exciting time for audiofools like us eh? Hell back in the 90's i just got to dream about this stuff cuz it cost so much ( only your dentist knows for sure.) Good luck IndyLions on where the upgrade path takes you, truly its the chase , not the kill that keeps my cat happy, i think we humans are similar in that regard.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #516 of 972
Anyone have experience with the Litte Ribbon Speaker by Magnipan with Aegirs?

Aegir on 86 dB efficient speakers is a bad plan. Vidar would be more appropriate.

I have an Aegir. I also have Magnepan MMGs among other pairs of speakers, so I've tried this. There just isn't enough power to get these going properly.

Sep 12, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #519 of 972
Yeah to clarify a bit more, in a small room, (like a kids bedroom) at low to medium volume, on music that isn't very dynamic....an Aegir on small Maggies could potentially pass the test for some people. I don't listen at extreme volume levels, but I could easily get the Aegir to go into current protection on dynamic rock or orchestral passages.

Having an Aegir on Maggies is kinda like owning a Ferrari where the engine shuts down once you hit 40 mph.

Sep 12, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #520 of 972
IMG_2540.JPG Anybody out there have 2 Aegir's in monoblock config via lxr from a freya+ xlr outputs? Very curious about that combo, right now i got freya+ w/ black treasure z quad and mani plus loki , cd transport to dac to freya+ all AES XLR marantz tt to mani rca and akai gx 635d to loki eq rca all to a preceed amp5 to a pair of modified tekton lore speakers , was wondering if the 2x aegirs in monoblock would be a improvement over proceed amp.

Sep 20, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #521 of 972
Have had OG Saga>Aegir running for 3 days to Focal 1008 bookshelf speakers. I cannot express how amazing this combo is. The Aegir replaced a huge amp in the $4k region, Schiit wins again.

Sep 26, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #522 of 972
I have a set of Aegirs connected to a Freya-S. Have an OG Feya, but I'm very much not a tube fan so I put it out of service.
I need the extra gain for my low efficiency speakers, but I'm glad Jason developed the Freya-S so I can have the extra gain with the Nexus technology and got rid of the tubes.

I started with one Aegir, that was marvellous. To hear the difference coming from Vidar which is very good, but Aegir is (much) better.
As of yesterday I have 2 Aegirs. One Aegir was a treat, but 2 Aegirs in mono is an audiophiles wet dream.
I feel like my head sticking through the door of the recording studio. I really love these amps.

Sep 26, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #524 of 972
I started with one Aegir, that was marvellous. To hear the difference coming from Vidar which is very good, but Aegir is (much) better.
As of yesterday I have 2 Aegirs. One Aegir was a treat, but 2 Aegirs in mono is an audiophiles wet dream.
I feel like my head sticking through the door of the recording studio. I really love these amps.
I see you are using low efficiency speakers (generally under 85db). Even with horn speakers (99db) I found 2 Vidars to be far better than one. Now that I’ve moved to Aegir, I’m just doing one right now- I’m trying to determine how worth it it is to move to 2?

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #525 of 972
I forgot about this thread, so I'll post it here too...

I normally have a pair of Vidar running the towers in my main system, however since it's that time of year where I don't need to run the heat or the A/C, I've swapped over to my Parasound JC 1's (they use double the power vs. Vidar, and put off a TON of heat) in my main system and decided to do a little experimenting with Vidar on some spare gear I have. I also decided to do some comparisons between the DAC/preamp in the Oppo 105D and a Modi Multibit along with a Magni 3 as the preamp, I'm using a SYS to switch between them.

Currently I'm only running a single Vidar and i have to say I'm quite impressed, it has delivered everything I've asked for without issue. I had planned on doing a comparison between a single Vidar and Monoblocks, however I honestly don't even think it's worth it on this system, but I'll probably end up doing it anyway...

f340_schiit.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back