Schiit Two Channel Clubhouse
Jan 10, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #481 of 965
Good morning folks...
Sorry if this might not be the right thread... I've searched around a bit but couldn't find "new" info/threads about them:

I have ONE CENTER speaker (KEF Q600) that I no longer use... but thinking of having a small 2 channel setup in the spare/guest bedroom... something super "simple"... has anyone around used 2 center speakers as they were " regular" left & right speakers?

And the other question: WYRD
My current setup sends the USB signal from the computer to the Bifrost via USB, and every now and then there is a "whinning" sound added to the "regular" sound, as if it's getting some added distortion from the tubes... I replaced the tubes as I initially thought they were getting bad... but then I found out that if I simply unhook the USB cable for a second or two... it clears out (and also, that it won't occur if I use optical able :) it is not a biggie because it doesn't happen ALL the time but would it be something WYRD would fix?

Thanks a bunch!

Cheers!

I have a pair of Wharfedale 10.1 center speakers that I got at a substantial discount. The 10.1 bookshelf speakers have one six inch woofer. The center channels have two. Both speakers have the same frequency response.

The centers work great as bookshelves, stood on end.

They are a bit brighter than my LS 50s, which is a good thing as at my age I need all the help I can get.

Jan 10, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #482 of 965
Hi there Rick, folks!
Hope all is well!

I have a pair of Wharfedale 10.1 center speakers that I got at a substantial discount. The 10.1 bookshelf speakers have one six inch woofer. The center channels have two. Both speakers have the same frequency response.

The centers work great as bookshelves, stood on end.

They are a bit brighter than my LS 50s, which is a good thing as at my age I need all the help I can get.

Right on.. yeah, I thought they'd be a great option for a small bedroom... let's see... not a big priority for the moment, but I think I will give a try... they definitely look amazing standing up... :)

Jan 10, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #483 of 965
hi there Dana, folks!

I had occasional noise and computer activity sounds audible with USB on my modi 2 uber that were fixed when I added a Wyrd. I now have a Bifrost with a Gen 5 USB that I've never heard USB noise on and don't use a Wyrd there. If your Bifrost doesn't have the Gen 5 USB, that would be one way to fix it, the others could be a Wyrd or an Eitr, which has the Gen5 USB and converts to SPDIF to feed the Bifrost.

Thanks... good to know... yeah, mine's the "older" version... I might give it a try then... I feel skeptic at times when I see some "audio related" devices promising "miracles"... but at least this one ain't crazy expensive... :)
Cheers!

Jan 10, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #484 of 965
I have ONE CENTER speaker (KEF Q600) that I no longer use... but thinking of having a small 2 channel setup in the spare/guest bedroom... something super "simple"... has anyone around used 2 center speakers as they were " regular" left & right speakers?

Sure but make sure they are oriented correctly. From what I've read the horizontal centers have a different crossover to avoid comb-filtering amongst their drivers when placed in the proper position.

Jan 10, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #485 of 965
Sure but make sure they are oriented correctly. From what I've read the horizontal centers have a different crossover to avoid comb-filtering amongst their drivers when placed in the proper position.
Comb filtering happens for people that are off axis of an MTM center speaker because of path length differences between the two midrange drivers. How could you fix that in the crossover? Even if you could, it would be for only one position.

Jan 10, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #486 of 965
Comb filtering happens for people that are off axis of an MTM center speaker because of path length differences between the two midrange drivers. How could you fix that in the crossover? Even if you could, it would be for only one position.
This outlaw audio page explains what they do to address comb filtering, esp. the last paragraph.

IANASD so I just go by things I stumble across.

Jan 10, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #487 of 965
This outlaw audio page explains what they do to address comb filtering, esp. the last paragraph.

IANASD so I just go by things I stumble across.
OK, so it's not MTM any more. They turn one of the midrange's into a dedicated woofer. I don't think most companies do that. That wouldn't make it not work standing up. It would just be a 3 way instead of a two way and have a little different vertical radiation pattern.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #488 of 965
Jan 11, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #490 of 965
Hey artur and folks! Hope all is well!

Thanks for the advice... Considering it will NOT be used in any critical listening... it's simply a spare setup, I don't think I need to worry about all these deep details... For me, I just don't wanna have it collect dust as I do like it's quality... but at the same time, don't want to buy a new pair of speakers...

Have a great weekend!
Cheers!

Feb 28, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #491 of 965
How would I go about adding a subwoofer to my system? I'm currently running a pair of Genelec M040s out of Schiit Bifrost Uber/Saga stack.
Can I connect the Elac SUB 2070 or DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033S-II + SVS SB-2000 straight to Saga RCA outputs?

My long term goal is to get the new DSPeaker Antimode X4, a pair of tower speakers and a stereo amp or a pair of monoblocks. But that's a sizeable investment spread over the coming years, and I'll start with adding a sub to my current system.
I’ve been currently contemplating adding a sub to my Saga/Vidar when I upgrade speakers. Wondering, since you can select only one output, as far as I know, if you were able to integrate the sub into the system. Thanks in advance

Feb 28, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #492 of 965
I’ve been currently contemplating adding a sub to my Saga/Vidar when I upgrade speakers. Wondering, since you can select only one output, as far as I know, if you were able to integrate the sub into the system. Thanks in advance
Both of Saga's outputs are active at the same time. If your subwoofer has stereo RCA inputs, you're all set. Some subwoofers only have a mono input and then you may need to add a mixer (I'm using a passive mixer in my bedroom system).

Mar 7, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #495 of 965
Not dumb. I saw your message about Damping Factor and it's important. Speakers have to be matched with amps, and vice versa. I would not consider a Vidar amp for my speakers, because I need an amp with very low damping factor and there are other options available. My speakers are already damped. Driving them with an amp that has a higher damping factor results in a sterile / thin sound - for my speakers. My speakers like tube amps, generally. They can also sound great with solid state amps that have a low damping factor (under 50?) / higher output impedance into 8 ohms.

I've asked about the output impedance of the new Aegir amp... haven't been able to figure that out yet. Ralph Karsten at Atmosphere suggests most speakers don't need a damping factor over 20. Based on what I've seen, getting that figure under 20 costs money.

To figure damping factor, if you have the output impedance into 8ohms, you divide output impedance into 8ohms. I'm interested in that figure being as low as possible. See where Nelson Pass has been going with with his First Watt amps.

I'm curious to see where the Aegir lands. Under 50 and I'll be eyeballing it very closely...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back