Schiit Two Channel Clubhouse
Nov 22, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #452 of 965
Huh. Not my experience at all. I replaced my Parasound Halo A23 with the Vidar and I find the SQ to be exceptional.

What are people switching from that they experience a loss of resolution?

JC

Or something working out of spec.

Dec 31, 2018 at 3:51 AM Post #453 of 965
How would I go about adding a subwoofer to my system? I'm currently running a pair of Genelec M040s out of Schiit Bifrost Uber/Saga stack.
Can I connect the Elac SUB 2070 or DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033S-II + SVS SB-2000 straight to Saga RCA outputs?

My long term goal is to get the new DSPeaker Antimode X4, a pair of tower speakers and a stereo amp or a pair of monoblocks. But that's a sizeable investment spread over the coming years, and I'll start with adding a sub to my current system.

Dec 31, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #454 of 965
How would I go about adding a subwoofer to my system? I'm currently running a pair of Genelec M040s out of Schiit Bifrost Uber/Saga stack.
Can I connect the Elac SUB 2070 or DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033S-II + SVS SB-2000 straight to Saga RCA outputs?

My long term goal is to get the new DSPeaker Antimode X4, a pair of tower speakers and a stereo amp or a pair of monoblocks. But that's a sizeable investment spread over the coming years, and I'll start with adding a sub to my current system.

Yes, using the RCA outputs will give you the proper signal for a powered sub(s), and the volume control on the Saga will be a master volume on your whole system. Best of all you'll get to listen to a lot of music to get the sub(s) tuned in, which the fun part of our hobby!

Dec 31, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #455 of 965
Yes, using the RCA outputs will give you the proper signal for a powered sub(s), and the volume control on the Saga will be a master volume on your whole system. Best of all you'll get to listen to a lot of music to get the sub(s) tuned in, which the fun part of our hobby!

Thanks! Just to specify, would Elac SUB 2070 work straight from Saga by itself, or does it require additional equipment?

Dec 31, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #456 of 965
Thanks! Just to specify, would Elac SUB 2070 work straight from Saga by itself, or does it require additional equipment?

Based on what I see on the ELAC website, the sub has L and R channel RCA inputs, so a proper set of cables is all you need in that regard. However there is this important note: "**A Bluetooth 4.0 low-energy Android or IOS device is required to set up and operate this subwoofer."

Dec 31, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #457 of 965
Based on what I see on the ELAC website, the sub has L and R channel RCA inputs, so a proper set of cables is all you need in that regard. However there is this important note: "**A Bluetooth 4.0 low-energy Android or IOS device is required to set up and operate this subwoofer."

Thanks again. I suspected as much, but I was thrown off by the LFE and HT-bybass requirements some subwoofers have.

Dec 31, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #458 of 965
Thanks again. I suspected as much, but I was thrown off by the LFE and HT-bybass requirements some subwoofers have.
That's just if you want to set up a combined HT and 2ch system. Reality aside, I'd avoid that as much as possible. HT and 2ch have very different requirements in terms of speaker positioning, LFE (subwoofer) handling, and just about everything in between. Unless one is into multi-channel music but that's a pretty expensive proposition.

Dec 31, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #459 of 965

The one thing to be sure of is your ability with the app regarding controlling the level of the sub, and the whether you can adjust the crossover frequency the sub is using. It will receive a full-range signal from the Saga, you want to be able to adjust where it crosses-over to blend it with you main speakers. Flexibility of control for certain parameters is essential in dialing in the sub.

Jan 1, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #460 of 965
Personally I am a stereo subwoofer guy. Set up is critical, I am also a big fan of using DSP EQ on subwoofers.
This has really helped me smooth out the low end response in two different rooms.

Jan 1, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #461 of 965
Personally I am a stereo subwoofer guy. Set up is critical, I am also a big fan of using DSP EQ on subwoofers.
This has really helped me smooth out the low end response in two different rooms.
This!

Jan 1, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #462 of 965

Stereo subs- yes. And they need to be placed near unto the main speakers, which is what you'll see in every quality sound reinforcement situation. Creating a coherent sound wave as a physical movement of sound through air is the key.

Jan 1, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #463 of 965
Stereo subs- yes. And they need to be placed near unto the main speakers, which is what you'll see in every quality sound reinforcement situation. Creating a coherent sound wave as a physical movement of sound through air is the key.
I just finished reading Floyd Toole's quite involved book on sound reproduction. Subwoofers need to be placed where they interact to produce the smallest standing waves within the room. Right next to the main speakers is not the optimum solution. If you only have two, in the middle of opposite walls is best. 4 placed in each corner is even better. This is if you want smooth bass response for multiple listening positions. If you are only worried about the spot where you sit, one works fine and can be EQ'ed to work wherever you put it. Professional sound reinforcement is in much larger spaces than a typical home listening room and other concerns apply.

Jan 2, 2019 at 10:32 PM Post #464 of 965
I just finished reading Floyd Toole's quite involved book on sound reproduction. Subwoofers need to be placed where they interact to produce the smallest standing waves within the room. Right next to the main speakers is not the optimum solution. If you only have two, in the middle of opposite walls is best. 4 placed in each corner is even better. This is if you want smooth bass response for multiple listening positions. If you are only worried about the spot where you sit, one works fine and can be EQ'ed to work wherever you put it. Professional sound reinforcement is in much larger spaces than a typical home listening room and other concerns apply.
Agreed, locating a single sub-woofer in the middle works better than other configurations I've tried over the years.

Jan 7, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #465 of 965
How is the Vidar holding up for folks?

I'm looking to hookup a power amplifier to the balanced outs of my Ragnarok, and I'm thinking of either two Vidars, or a Parasound A21 (discontinued). The former because I want to stay within the marriage (Rag, Yggy, Jot, Modi3, Vali2), the latter because one box is simpler than two, and the good reviews (and currently discounted price) of the A21.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back