Schiit Two Channel Clubhouse
Nov 2, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #439 of 972
Thanks for the feedback all. Heading out tomorrow to check out a used REL 212SE. About 1/2 price. Picking up my turntable there so I'll have a chance to give a listen, if all goes according to plan.

Nov 3, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #440 of 972
Thanks for the feedback all. Heading out tomorrow to check out a used REL 212SE. About 1/2 price. Picking up my turntable there so I'll have a chance to give a listen, if all goes according to plan.

One thing to bear in mind. Common wisdom/belief is to crossover as low as possible so that the main speaker's signature is preserved for as long as possible. I believe that's wrong because the higher I crossover the clearer more dynamic the sound is.

Say your mains have a low end rolloff of 40Hz. Common wisdom would be to set the crossover around there. Set it higher, to 80 or 100Hz.

In my setup, my mains go to 70Hz (as spec'd and measured). My system sounds best with the crossover set to 100Hz or 110Hz. I've tried everything from about 70-120Hz. At the higher crossover (120) I found the localization of the subs pretty disturbing.

Experiment with sub placement and crossover. And, you might find you'll need 2 subs to fight room issues.

Nov 3, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #441 of 972
Just back from test drive of the REL. Payment in while he makes a cable for me with REL Neutik Speakon connection. I'm counting on one sub and will add another if necessary. My room is huge cubically. Excited to try in my listening area.

Thanks for the tip on crossover.

Nov 4, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #442 of 972
Amphion doesn’t list theirs for the Amp100 for me to compare them :frowning2:

Nov 17, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #443 of 972
They say all things come to those who wait. Picked up the REL 212SE sub on Wednesday, but of course it took longer than expected to get it home and had prior obligations to tend to. Had to work Thursday AM and then head to the mountains for early season skiing Friday. Got home too late to set up. Logged in to find out Schiit wants my Yggy to upgrade to A2 so I packed it up and shipped it off Sat. AM. Not having my Schiit to audition the sub, I turned on the turntable and put on the MoFi 45 rpm of Bridge Over Troubled Water(the one step version). It was spectacular. There are nuances in the recording I'd never heard. Allowing the Aerial 10T's to work their mid range magic was revelatory. We all know that Garfunkel's voice can soar, but the addition of the sub allowed the freedom to really shine. There were notes down deeper than I ever expected to hear as well. It truly was extraordinary and I'll fiddle more in the days to come.

The low end on this sub is a marvel. The integration with the Aerials sounds great. In years passed I had some Apogee Stages paired with a Velodyne sub that never seemed to work.

Thanks for listening.

Nov 17, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #444 of 972
Beautiful. Congrats on your new equipment.

TAS reviewed that sub recently. Judging from what they said the only thing better than a REL 212SE is a stereo pair. :wink:

The REL I have is the lifestyle Habitat. Even for a lifestyle sub it can really plumb the depths.

Nov 19, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #445 of 972
I noticed a lot of people have sold their Vidar, what's the number 1 complaint?

Nov 19, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #446 of 972
Nov 19, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #449 of 972
Not enough resolution. Subpar, in fact.

Huh. Not my experience at all. I replaced my Parasound Halo A23 with the Vidar and I find the SQ to be exceptional.

What are people switching from that they experience a loss of resolution?

JC

Nov 19, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #450 of 972
Huh. Not my experience at all. I replaced my Parasound Halo A23 with the Vidar and I find the SQ to be exceptional.

What are people switching from that they experience a loss of resolution?

JC

Maybe they didn't give it a chance to burn-in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back