Schiit SYS Passive Preamp
May 3, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #46 of 231
I'm thinking about picking this up. I read that you need short cables for this to be effective. That's fine for my phono preamp and headphone amp.. but do you also need short cables to connect to a pair of speakers? At the moment there's about a metres gap between my speakers and phono amp.

May 21, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #47 of 231
So to use this as 1 input, 2 output, is it just as simple as putting the input in the singular output, and outputs in the inputs?  Or would it require opening up the Sys and doing a little bit of work to reverse it.

Jul 15, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #50 of 231
Anyone have one that they want to sell? 
biggrin.gif

Aug 8, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #51 of 231
  No need to open her up. Just turn the volume all the way up.

So how can you do this again in reverse? Correct me if I'm wrong...

Just plug the DAC RCA (In) to SYS (Out) and the SYS 2 x (In) will be the new (Out) as long as the volume is all the way up?

Is there any alternative brands (cheaper) than SYS with 1 x Input and 2 x Output without the volume knob but just a switch? I really needed one for a cheaper price. 
wink.gif

Aug 8, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #53 of 231
  I just ordered one of these gizmos. Will see how it compares to my CJ preamp. I've always been curious about passive preamps.

Kim

Ha, they are just inline attenuators. There is nothing special about them. Just a variable resistor (potentiometer or stepped attenuator, etc) put on the signal path before the amplifier. The term "Passive Pre-Amp" is only one coined by marketing depts to sell you overpriced stuff you dont need or could otherwise build or buy for much less.

Aug 9, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #54 of 231
"In a home audio system, the term 'preamplifier' may sometimes be used to describe equipment which merely switches between different line level sources and applies a volume control, so that no actual amplification may be involved."

Aug 9, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #56 of 231
Exactly. And in the case of this gear, its schiit you dont need to spend money on.

Yes, please tell us what we don't need to spend our money on.

For those of us that want to add a volume control to our active monitors that don't have readily accessible volume controls, want to have more than one input into those monitors, and want to keep the Schiit styled theme on our desks? It's a fantastic purchase.

Aug 9, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #57 of 231
Yes, please tell us what we don't need to spend our money on.

For those of us that want to add a volume control to our active monitors that don't have readily accessible volume controls, want to have more than one input into those monitors, and want to keep the Schiit styled theme on our desks? It's a fantastic purchase.

To each their own. But yes, I guess that would be one of not many uses for a product like this. Which I do find even more odd considering its coming from a company that only makes products for headphones, but eh, perhaps they are intending to expand.

Aug 9, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #58 of 231
To each their own. But yes, I guess that would be one of not many uses for a product like this. Which I do find even more odd considering its coming from a company that only makes products for headphones, but eh, perhaps they are intending to expand.

I swear, nobody ever reads the product page before commenting.

"Huh? Why would you want such a thing? Well, if you've ever wanted to use one of our DACs with powered monitors, Sys puts the volume control right at hand. Same goes for using two sources with one of our headphone amps—use Sys to switch between a DAC and a phono preamp, for example."

Of course they're expanding. They have the Ragnarok speaker amp and a phono preamp coming out. Never mind the fact that their DAC's aren't "headphone only".

Aug 9, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #60 of 231
I swear, nobody ever reads the product page before commenting.

"Huh? Why would you want such a thing? Well, if you've ever wanted to use one of our DACs with powered monitors, Sys puts the volume control right at hand. Same goes for using two sources with one of our headphone amps—use Sys to switch between a DAC and a phono preamp, for example."

Of course they're expanding. They have the Ragnarok speaker amp and a phono preamp coming out. Never mind the fact that their DAC's aren't "headphone only".

Alright alright, calm down, I see YOUR point and side of the discussion. Seriously though, Im not sure how much you know about engineering, but you have to admit, $50 for a potentiometer and a switch in a cheap aluminum (might be plastic Im not sure) hosing is a bit excessive. But I guess if you're one of the few that can use this in their setup, dont mind the price for what youre actually getting and want to have a matching schiit gear fanboy collection, then yep, its right for you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back