Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
Jun 7, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #1,711 of 2,004
I just replaced my connection from RCA to XLR, from my different dacs to the Rag, they are all stacked so the distance is short, I can't really tell the difference in sound quality. I'm curious if anyone journing from all RCA to XLR, what was their experience?

Jun 7, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #1,712 of 2,004
I just replaced my connection from RCA to XLR, from my different dacs to the Rag, they are all stacked so the distance is short, I can't really tell the difference in sound quality. I'm curious if anyone journing from all RCA to XLR, what was their experience?
My Yggy runs 4V out of the XLR and 2V out of the RCA, so that should be significant. I use my Hugo via RCA and it sounds just fine.

Jun 14, 2022 at 11:49 PM Post #1,713 of 2,004
well i tried a cheap Chinese tube preamp (FX audio tube03): Yggy 2 > tube pre > Rag2.

And the SQ is worse compared to direct connection from Yggy 2 to Rag 2. Bass is not as deep, dynamic range is reduced, music sounds more hazy, details (esp upper mid & treble) are lost to some degree, drums sound more smudged and slower and boomier

Not sure if it is because of the double gain stages or because the tube preamp is crap..

Jun 15, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #1,714 of 2,004
well i tried a cheap Chinese tube preamp (FX audio tube03): Yggy 2 > tube pre > Rag2.

And the SQ is worse compared to direct connection from Yggy 2 to Rag 2. Bass is not as deep, dynamic range is reduced, music sounds more hazy, details (esp upper mid & treble) are lost to some degree, drums sound more smudged and slower and boomier

Not sure if it is because of the double gain stages or because the tube preamp is crap..
The Raggy SE input eats my Valhalla alive with my HD6XX. More detail and separation, bigger soundstage, increased clarity. I still use the HD6XX with the Valhalla because if I didn't, I'd never use that amp, hah.

The magic of tubes is subjective. I once had my entire rig based off a Schiit Freya and a speaker amp and the noise from the tubes drove me insane. I would swap tubes depending on the headphone.

Jun 16, 2022 at 8:07 AM Post #1,715 of 2,004
The Raggy SE input eats my Valhalla alive with my HD6XX. More detail and separation, bigger soundstage, increased clarity. I still use the HD6XX with the Valhalla because if I didn't, I'd never use that amp, hah.

The magic of tubes is subjective. I once had my entire rig based off a Schiit Freya and a speaker amp and the noise from the tubes drove me insane. I would swap tubes depending on the headphone.
Well someone has same experience as mine. Guess I am not a tube person. With the tube preamp, the mid (mostly upper mid) is a bit more magnified compared to bass and treb also

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2022 at 12:33 AM Post #1,716 of 2,004
Hey Y'all,

Looking for some advice.

I am running the Rag 2 with my Sierra Luna speakers which are 8 ohm and have ~86db sensitivity.

My Rag goes into protect mode when I put into high gain and then set the dial to about 2 o'clock. It is somewhat intermittent and mainly happens when gaming. Is it that my speakers are not a good fit with the Rag 2 or do I possibly have a blown op amp or component? I also tried different speaker cables as well as my monitor audio Radius 90 (also 86db sensitive) speakers and same thing occurred.

I have it connected to my Bifrost 2 and am using the SE pre-outs connected to my sub that is being controlled on/off with a sys. Could the sub be causing this? It's all on the same circuit and power strip.

All of that said, and considering I tried different cables and speakers, is it possible that my Rag is shot and needs to be sent in for repair or are my speakers just too demanding? I know that at this volume it is pretty loud but I do use it like this often. Also, I got this used and has happened since I got it with this setup. Prior to this I had a Jotunheim 2 and Vidar and never had this happen. I really like the sound of the Rag 2 more so I really would like to keep it.

Any thoughts or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Jun 17, 2022 at 2:20 AM Post #1,717 of 2,004
I own a pair of these speakers myself and at ≈104dB you are running out of power.
IOW at 94dB 'average' with ≈ +10dB peaks you are clipping the amp.

These mini monitors are power hungry.

JJ

Jun 17, 2022 at 2:45 AM Post #1,718 of 2,004
Yea, kind of what I figured. I am going to give the Vidar a run again and see how it goes. Last time I did though I had used an old original run Lyr 3 w/o the DC protection circuit and it blew my right speaker.

On my last setup before trying the Lyr 3 I had an Audio GD Master 19 with the vidar and never had any issues what-so-ever.

Jun 17, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #1,719 of 2,004
Yea, kind of what I figured. I am going to give the Vidar a run again and see how it goes. Last time I did though I had used an old original run Lyr 3 w/o the DC protection circuit and it blew my right speaker.

On my last setup before trying the Lyr 3 I had an Audio GD Master 19 with the vidar and never had any issues what-so-ever.
If the Rag turns back on, nothing is blown.

I don't know if this would make a difference, but it might be worth trying - have you tried a lower gain setting at a higher volume?

It's a stepped attenuator, so the jacks are always getting 100% power, just attenuated by the volume knob. Perhaps at medium gain with the volume at like 4:00, there's less demand on the unit.

Jun 19, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #1,720 of 2,004
More data please. Cans, DAC, music.

In my case balanced was better. Less hash, more focus, quieter, more solid bass

Jun 21, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #1,721 of 2,004
Hi guys
How do I switch the output on the rag, I have a pair of floor speakers with banana wire, another is a pair of power speakers connected to the XLR output. The Rag default to the power speakers with XLR output, no sound came out of the floor speakers. How do I switch go back to my floor speakers without pulling the cables?

Jun 21, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #1,722 of 2,004
Hi guys
How do I switch the output on the rag, I have a pair of floor speakers with banana wire, another is a pair of power speakers connected to the XLR output. The Rag default to the power speakers with XLR output, no sound came out of the floor speakers. How do I switch go back to my floor speakers without pulling the cables?
I don’t think you can. I have to use a Schiit Sys to turn on and off my sub that is connected to the SE pre out. It’s really a weird design choice that you can’t turn in and off the pre outs from the rag 2.

In my case since I don’t want my sub on when using headphone I have to have both the headphones and speakers on and then make sure the right input is selected on the sys for my sub. You may need to put a sys between your rag and powered speakers to turn off the powered speakers when you want to use the rag’s speaker outs.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #1,724 of 2,004
Look in the attached manual for the Ragnarok 2. You'll see on page 6 it talks about button 3. You can have both the speaker/headphone output on at the same time or just the headphone or just the speaker. Since there is no light to indicate which are on, you have to keep track when you toggle through them as to what will be on. Just be careful and not have the volume turned way up when you toggle through the different settings or you'll blast your ears if your wearing headphones or wake up the dead on the speakers if you've got the volume cranked up.

Edit: Ragnarok 2 does have lights to indicate which is on, headphone, speaker or both. The original Ragnarok does not have any lights to indicate what is on.

Attachments

• ragnarok 2 manual.pdf
    386.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back