Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
Jul 20, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #1,726 of 2,000
Hey guys

I wondered if anyone UK Rag 2 owners can recommend a cabinet or desk for it?

Thx
If you use it for speakers too keep the whole thing not between the speakers. That's the end of your soundstage. Now do some research of your own.

Jul 20, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #1,727 of 2,000
If you use it for speakers too keep the whole thing not between the speakers. That's the end of your soundstage. Now do some research of your own.
Thanks for the reply- you must have done some research of your own 😒😂

Possibly the most unhelpful post I have encountered in this (usually) great community.

I ordered something a couple of days ago but wont be placed between speakers as I’ll be using Rag 2 as a head amp to begin with.

Jul 20, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #1,728 of 2,000
Unhelpful? Help those that help themselves - I do it here all the time.

BTW i'm in the US, per your request I can't be expected to opine.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #1,730 of 2,000
Second evening with Rag 2, total listening time around 7 hours so far.

It’s taking a little time to start sounding better after switch on.

It’s got some burn in to go yet, sounding a little bright and congested.

Seems that it finds driving my lcd-3 easier than Alpha Prime.

Looking forward to everything bedding in and opening up.

Jul 27, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #1,731 of 2,000
Second evening with Rag 2, total listening time around 7 hours so far.

It’s taking a little time to start sounding better after switch on.

It’s got some burn in to go yet, sounding a little bright and congested.

Seems that it finds driving my lcd-3 easier than Alpha Prime.

Looking forward to everything bedding in and opening up.
How does it sound now?
Also, are you using the balanced outputs? It shouldn't be having an issue driving the Prime.

Jul 27, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #1,732 of 2,000
How does it sound now?
Also, are you using the balanced outputs? It shouldn't be having an issue driving the Prime.
It’s starting to open up now. I’m probably about 20 ish hours in.

I’ve been advised that it might take a couple of weeks to bed in.

When I set it up, I had migrated to a new desk and I’m doing so l had to unplug my Pegasus R2R dac and I’ve also introduced a brand new decent audio focused usb cable and brand new balanced interconnect cables.

I’m assuming the above will be contributing to the need for bed in.

It sounds better on LCD-3 now but I’ve not tried Prime again yet. I’m trying to track sound improvements with the one headphone model initially.

Thanks for asking 👍🏻

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #1,733 of 2,000
How does it sound now?
I’m now just north of 25 hours and I’m really noticing improvements during this listening session (with lcd-3).

The bass is filling out loads all of a sudden, a big difference between last session.

The highs are not as bright, with a marked difference. Much less brittle.

Everything sounds more cohesive and balanced, and soundstage and separation are improved.

I’m really impressed.

As for lcd-3, I’ve never been truly blown away by “Audeze bass” in the way many people have talked about how special it is. Until now. I’ve never heard bass like this in any headphone prior to the last 3 hours and it’s just getting better and better.

Can’t wait to experience further improvements.

Aug 8, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #1,735 of 2,000
I’m now just north of 25 hours and I’m really noticing improvements during this listening session (with lcd-3).

The bass is filling out loads all of a sudden, a big difference between last session.

The highs are not as bright, with a marked difference. Much less brittle.

Everything sounds more cohesive and balanced, and soundstage and separation are improved.

I’m really impressed.

As for lcd-3, I’ve never been truly blown away by “Audeze bass” in the way many people have talked about how special it is. Until now. I’ve never heard bass like this in any headphone prior to the last 3 hours and it’s just getting better and better.

Can’t wait to experience further improvements.
Yeah i agree. The bass on Lcd3 running balanced from Rag 2 is phenomenal. It is authorative yet natural and detailed, though not as fast as bass on a Hifiman (luckily, bass speed is not my priority)

Aug 9, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #1,736 of 2,000
It’s starting to open up now. I’m probably about 20 ish hours in.

I’ve been advised that it might take a couple of weeks to bed in.

When I set it up, I had migrated to a new desk and I’m doing so l had to unplug my Pegasus R2R dac and I’ve also introduced a brand new decent audio focused usb cable and brand new balanced interconnect cables.

I’m assuming the above will be contributing to the need for bed in.

It sounds better on LCD-3 now but I’ve not tried Prime again yet. I’m trying to track sound improvements with the one headphone model initially.

Thanks for asking 👍🏻
Tough to be sure what is changing when so many variables are changed.

Aug 9, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #1,737 of 2,000
Yeah i agree. The bass on Lcd3 running balanced from Rag 2 is phenomenal. It is authorative yet natural and detailed, though not as fast as bass on a Hifiman (luckily, bass speed is not my priority)
My priority is accuracy, quick bass that allows a polyrythmic drumming with bass and low organ not getting smeared. The LCD-4 OG isn't perfect at it, but the tone is superb. If moded as I described below, probably just as good.

The HFM HE-6 Varieties are quite good at it too and if EQ'd, rear screen off, a bit of dynamat on the rear inner lip, and faster and cleaner.

Aug 10, 2022 at 7:28 PM Post #1,739 of 2,000
Schiit Ragnarok 2 vs Freya S/N/+ as pre-amp

TL;DR: How does the Schiit Ragnarok 2 compare vs the Freya S/N/+ as a pre-amp

Over the last few months I have transitioned from having multiple desktop/office audio setups to a work from home job and re-jiggering all of my gear. I now have two office desktop near field setups (in the same room!) as well as a home theater and whole house audio system. I may duplicate some of my emerging dedicated 2 channel and headphone system, but I’ve gone back and forth on various gear.

Several months ago I actually purchased the Freya+ (at $999!) but had to return it.

I’m intrigued by the various Freya offerings of +/S/N and thought maybe the S would be cheaper and easier.

Then I thought about the Ragnarok 2 (just an amp) which could act as a pre-amp and amp for speaker and allow easy switch to listen to it’s solid state headphone amp and compare vs the other headphone amps:

Valhalla 2
Folkvangr (ordered)

So, what are people’s impressions of the various Freya pre-amp offerings vs Ragnarok 2?

I would likely use Ragnarok 2 as an integrated amp now, but in the future use as a pre-amp for Tyr amps when I get speaker upgrades. I could use my current Ragnarok 1 for a possible replacement of one office setup (Jot1/MB->Sys split to local speakers/amp and whole house audio setup).

Current 2 channel setup:
Integrated Amp:
Ragnarok 1
Headphone amp:
Ragnarok 1
Valhalla 2
Folkvangr (ordered)
Sources:
Oppo BDP-80 CD/BR
Blue Sound Node 2i (need to move it there)
DAC: Yggdrasil v2 + Unison
Speakers: KEF LS50
Stand: Salamander Archetype 5.0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back