Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
Feb 21, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #1,471 of 1,996
Do you have all your equipment plugged into the same outlet/circuit and are you using XLR cables from your source into the Ragnarok 2?

Feb 21, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #1,472 of 1,996
Do you have all your equipment plugged into the same outlet/circuit and are you using XLR cables from your source into the Ragnarok 2?
Outlets/Circuit are spread out (Rag gets her own). XLR cable interconnects. I digress, as I'm not noticing any more problems.

Apr 20, 2020 at 12:01 AM Post #1,478 of 1,996
Can anyone here please tell me the rag sound signature?

Is it warm, neutral? Bright?
Layered, wide? Musical, analytical etc.

May 12, 2020 at 1:48 AM Post #1,479 of 1,996
I owned a few amps in the past but most of time I don't find they make a meaningful difference, but for some reason, I thought Rag 2 I just got today really made a difference in my K701. It makes me want to try some new headphones!

May 12, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #1,480 of 1,996
I owned a few amps in the past but most of time I don't find they make a meaningful difference, but for some reason, I thought Rag 2 I just got today really made a difference in my K701. It makes me want to try some new headphones!
What are some of the rag 2 strengths.

May 12, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #1,481 of 1,996
Can anyone here please tell me the rag sound signature?

Is it warm, neutral? Bright?
Layered, wide? Musical, analytical etc.

OK. Tough competition. Owned Pass X-150/Pass P for 15 years, that's the comparison.

Rag 1:

Not tube like, but in some ways similar to the Pass (accurate with a hint of warmth)

Drives planars very well - esp out of the XLR. Doesn't push enough current for the > 300 ohm club of headphones however.

Very fine bass in terms of impact and depth, about 97% of the Pass - which is exceptional.

Mids very good, but depth no quite as good, and detail again not as good (the Pass pair was like $7k new bear in mind)

Treble, some hardness, but clean and good detail

Overall the stage width was pulled in, I traced that to the pre-amp.

Still, at its list price to drive speakers and headphones - its a very solid even good buy

Rag2: Based on two hours of use. Bass better than Rag 1, mids a bit more layered, however the treble seemed sort of wild and out of control. Runs MUCH cooler, remote nice and lower price - worth buying and figuring out treble issue - bypass film caps and/or safety caps X1 Y2?

Last edited:
May 12, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #1,482 of 1,996
I'm using it xlr, do you find ragnarok 2 sound stage and imaging to be fair in its price point?

May 31, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #1,483 of 1,996
I'm using it xlr, do you find ragnarok 2 sound stage and imaging to be fair in its price point?

Yes, because it can also drive most speakers very well too. The old Bryston had a few points over it, lagged in a few too.

The Violectric V-281 is a better piece, it's best headphone amp not including e-stats I've ever heard, but its like $350+ more new. Used ones get sucked up fast. The Rag 2 bass is a pretty good match with the V, Mids are short in stage width, depth, information, and timbre - not way off, just topped in each. But the treble is where the V really shines over the Rag 2 and to a lesser extent the 1. Rag 1 tends to be aggressive and sometimes "white". The V really does the subtle softer bits in the treble well.

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #1,484 of 1,996
The Violectric V-281 is a better piece, it's best headphone amp not including e-stats I've ever heard, but its like $350+ more new.

Where!!?? I'm seeing it at $2,100+ USD for new!! (Unless you're taking great liberties with the '+'.) :D

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #1,485 of 1,996
Yes, because it can also drive most speakers very well too. The old Bryston had a few points over it, lagged in a few too.

The Violectric V-281 is a better piece, it's best headphone amp not including e-stats I've ever heard, but its like $350+ more new. Used ones get sucked up fast. The Rag 2 bass is a pretty good match with the V, Mids are short in stage width, depth, information, and timbre - not way off, just topped in each. But the treble is where the V really shines over the Rag 2 and to a lesser extent the 1. Rag 1 tends to be aggressive and sometimes "white". The V really does the subtle softer bits in the treble well.
Hmmm. I got a trafomatic head 2 coming Tuesday now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back