Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
Jun 17, 2019 at 3:35 AM Post #1,441 of 2,007
Does anyone have a diagram for the XLR terminal input for the rag? Just trying to figure out if i need to run normal or inverted on my oppo udp 205. Oppo = ground, positive, negative going from left to right with with negative being the bottom pin.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #1,442 of 2,007
Does anyone have a diagram for the XLR terminal input for the rag? Just trying to figure out if i need to run normal or inverted on my oppo udp 205. Oppo = ground, positive, negative going from left to right with with negative being the bottom pin.

I looked around but didn't see a clear answer. I have the Rag, I bought a few cans/cables that were already XLR and it was a snap. I also made some SE cables into XLR, and just figured which wire via testing. I did find something that said that the AES standard was pretty absolute, and only some old gear broke the rules.

Pin 1 ground
Pin 2 hot
Pin 3 negative

hope that helps

Jun 18, 2019 at 2:01 AM Post #1,443 of 2,007
Be careful with the "left to right" description because pin 1 & 2 will swap positions depending on which connector and how you look at it (from the pin side or the solder cup side).
Instead look for the pin numbers as @bagwell359 mentions.

As a general rule you don't want to short out either pin 2 or 3 directly to ground, which could happen if you swapped pins 1 & 2.

JJ

Jul 7, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #1,444 of 2,007
I emailed Schiit with the question what the switch labeled SW3 on the controller board does, and got a reply that they don't know.

Does anybody here know what that switch is for? On below pic it's visible in the bottom left corner

5267776.jpg

Oct 22, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #1,446 of 2,007
Oct 22, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #1,447 of 2,007
Oct 22, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #1,448 of 2,007

Hmmm, maybe not. I read that the watt output from Balanced and SE was either 6 or 8 wpc, but looking at the papers on Schiit, it says 24 wpc into 32 ohms for XLR and 6 wpc for SE, which is about what the 1 is (too late too dig up my paperwork).

They did say it was more of a speaker amp than a headphone amp - which comports with the wattage I saw.

Time to hit the sack with a smile thanks to Mr. Taylor.

Oct 24, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #1,449 of 2,007
I turned my new Ragnarok 2 into a FM receiver with Bluetooth :k701smile:

0zYikKx.jpg

I have a Rolls pro audio tuner going into the second balanced input. My headphone rig feeds balanced input #1. The other gadget I added is a bluetooth receiver with its own DAC going into the single-ended input. I have a nice long no-name cable for my laptop to access the USB input. The Rolls tuner has an AUX input that turns the radio off, that's the only input left besides the phono. When's the Sol coming again?

:wink:

Oct 25, 2019 at 12:44 AM Post #1,451 of 2,007
FM radio is infested with commercials. How can you listen to it?
I have three stations I listen to in this state, and two of them are NPR so hardly any commercials. I used to be a volunteer deejay for one of the NPR ones. But I can tune those in online. There's a classical station that plays hardly any commercials; they also talk much less than the NPR stations, even if they're "for profit". Their programming is top-notch but their budget is limited, like their advertising. So no streaming. They seem to use the same voice-over for the few ads they do run, he's very easy to listen to kind of grandpa like. I don't mind the ads, I always want to support the clients that do run them but I never do. I donate to the NPR stations though. The one that's near me has kind of a crappy internet streaming feed, so I'll probably use the tuner for those two. The other NPR station I only listen to online, or if I drive back up there and listen locally or in my car.

Oct 28, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #1,452 of 2,007
OK, today was the first day I thought about getting an R 2, but as I criss crossed the web, and found that the R 2 stays in Class A for 1 watt, I was bummed. My R 1 stays in Class A for 4 watts, and I doubt I rarely go over 4 watts with my headphones, but w/ a HE-500 and HE5LE i surely go over 1 watt very often.

Has anybody AB'd these two units closely? The R 2 is an improvement in a lot of ways, but....

Oct 28, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #1,453 of 2,007
I have three stations I listen to in this state, and two of them are NPR so hardly any commercials. I used to be a volunteer deejay for one of the NPR ones. But I can tune those in online. There's a classical station that plays hardly any commercials; they also talk much less than the NPR stations, even if they're "for profit". Their programming is top-notch but their budget is limited, like their advertising. So no streaming. They seem to use the same voice-over for the few ads they do run, he's very easy to listen to kind of grandpa like. I don't mind the ads, I always want to support the clients that do run them but I never do. I donate to the NPR stations though. The one that's near me has kind of a crappy internet streaming feed, so I'll probably use the tuner for those two. The other NPR station I only listen to online, or if I drive back up there and listen locally or in my car.

FM is still viable, one just needs a number of pre-sets with scanning function, and yes a few NPR, classical stations too. KT-880D w/ a Slim Jim antenna.

Nov 1, 2019 at 6:35 AM Post #1,454 of 2,007
I turned my new Ragnarok 2 into a FM receiver with Bluetooth :k701smile:

0zYikKx.jpg

I have a Rolls pro audio tuner going into the second balanced input. My headphone rig feeds balanced input #1. The other gadget I added is a bluetooth receiver with its own DAC going into the single-ended input. I have a nice long no-name cable for my laptop to access the USB input. The Rolls tuner has an AUX input that turns the radio off, that's the only input left besides the phono. When's the Sol coming again?

:wink:

I notice in your pic of the Rag 2, you're using gain 3. Have you tried all 3? Any observations? With the Rag 1 I hardly ever come out of Gain 2 - even for speakers. Gain 1 is pure but lacking drive at both freq extremes. Gain 3 seems a lot like a SS A/B non FET amp. But 2 seems well more pure than 3, and well more driven/dynamic than 1. Just curious.

BTW the black >> silver

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #1,455 of 2,007
I notice in your pic of the Rag 2, you're using gain 3. Have you tried all 3? Any observations? With the Rag 1 I hardly ever come out of Gain 2 - even for speakers. Gain 1 is pure but lacking drive at both freq extremes. Gain 3 seems a lot like a SS A/B non FET amp. But 2 seems well more pure than 3, and well more driven/dynamic than 1. Just curious.

BTW the black >> silver
The only headphone I've driven out of the Rag 2 so far is my HE-6. I'm one of the first HE-6 owners, and it's the first time I've liked it out of any headphone port. I used to drive it with speaker amps to get it to work right. Now it works right out of a headamp! I did try them on gain 2, and they lost body/dynamics but still sounded pretty good, almost stat-like. The way the Rag 2's volume works, gain 3 still leaves a wide power curve on the knob. Gain 3 seems to be required on all speakers, even bookshelf. I use it a lot with speakers. I haven't tried gain 1 yet, I'll get some other cans going soon enough and report back.

I'm guessing that using gain 2-3 with the HE-6 is analogous to using gain 1-2 with most other headphones. Haven't used gain 1 at all so far.

I only had my Ragnarok 2 for 11 days. I decided to bite the bullet and sent it back yesterday under the 15-day thing to get the 'just an amp' version, and am really missing it. But I want to get it right for my needs. I was torn when I bought it, and made the wrong call. If it was going on a desktop with a turntable, the 'fully loaded' version would be the way to go, but mine's going to be in the living room. Yeah I do stupid schiit sometimes, but this lets me consider a temporary detour to Yggdrasil GS. Of course my goal is to end up with both of them, if I manage that it's going to be a merry holiday season indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back