Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
Apr 15, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #1,051 of 2,034

In short, Rag is not a warm, romantic amplifier. It is a ruthless, truthful implementation of a solid state, which does its best at moving the music and getting out of the way. I like it for my speakers and I like it for my planar headphones. For my taste, I still like a little romance with my Sennheiser headphones, and will typically use a tube. Though the Sennheiser amplifier behaves similarly due to some unique engineering.

that is the exact reason it is the main amp for my desktop rig. i dont want my gear coloring the audio signal in anyway. although where we part company is regarding the sound (I hear) with Sennheiser hp (650 HD / 800S), but in terms of the rest of your assessment of Ragnarok... I couldn't agree more...

btw... I am very pleased how well my  Wharfedale Denton's sound powered by Rag

Apr 15, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #1,052 of 2,034

that is the exact reason it is the main amp for my desktop rig. i dont want my gear coloring the audio signal in anyway. although where we part company is regarding the sound (I hear) with Sennheiser hp (650 HD / 800S), but in terms of the rest of your assessment of Ragnarok... I couldn't agree more...

btw... I am very pleased how well my  Wharfedale Denton's sound powered by Rag

Would truly love to hear more!

Particularly on the sound with the Senns? I think you and the thread starter might share a common opinion. And I think your articulation could also help the person asking the question.

::

I love the way Rag plays with my B&W Nautilus, 1998 vintage. It is a little softer than my previous THX Ultra certified amplifier. But it is much more nuanced, intimate, meaningful - it plays the small, subtle details with clarity I had not heard before.

Apr 15, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #1,053 of 2,034

I love the way Rag plays with my B&W Nautilus, 1998 vintage. It is a little softer than my previous THX Ultra certified amplifier. But it is much more nuanced, intimate, meaningful - it plays the small, subtle details with clarity I had not heard before.

I too have a THX Ultra Certified Amp (SC-27) but it is a single purpose device (home theatre) and given the speaker system I chose and the way the crossovers are tuned, it is lacking in accurate music reproduction. Now in terms of shaking the house, having sounds bounce off walls and creating a realistic surround environment, I do believe I am getting my monies worth and a bit extra.

When it comes to my critical listening environment, I am meticulous about the source material I have and how it is fed to my DAC and Amp. Then I choose whatever transducer I feel will provide me with the sound I would expect to hear from the source material...

So far it has been a 35 year quest and I am finally getting to the point of trusting my judgement and not worrying about how others perceive sound as it relates to my gear

Apr 15, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #1,054 of 2,034
Schiit Ragnarok was reviewed and measured in the May 2016 issue of Stereophile. Usually takes a while to show up on their website. Very favorable subjective review from Herb Reichert (Rag + LS50 his favorite stereo this century, followed by Magnepan 0.7 + Rag), and less than favorable objective review from John Atkinson (interspersed with Jason's explanations of how the microprocessor works and why that is likely affecting the measurements).

Apr 22, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #1,055 of 2,034
What do you do for power for your Ragnarok? A simple power strip? Or, something more elaborate like a Furman power conditioner. Getting ready for my set up, and I wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing anything. Other gear used will be at Oppo BD105D, Grace DAC, Adcom amplifier, Amazon fire TV, Cincinnati Bell scrappy wireless box, and I 55 inch television. I also am thinking about moving my Mac Mini to that area. Oh and a PS3. Before I just used a ups bought from Costco. It died in the last electrical storm. Better that than my equipment

Input will be greatly appreciated. Below is a picture of my set up.

Apr 22, 2016 at 6:22 AM Post #1,056 of 2,034
What do you do for power for your Ragnarok? A simple power strip? Or, something more elaborate like a Furman power conditioner. Getting ready for my set up, and I wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing anything. Other gear used will be at Oppo BD105D, Grace DAC, Adcom amplifier, Amazon fire TV, Cincinnati Bell scrappy wireless box, and I 55 inch television. I also am thinking about moving my Mac Mini to that area. Oh and a PS3. Before I just used a ups bought from Costco. It died in the last electrical store. Better that than my equipment

Input will be greatly appreciated. Below is a picture of my set up.

Man I love your Stages! Are you going to use the Rag to power them?

Be sure to let us know how it goes.

Nice set-up!

Apr 22, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #1,057 of 2,034
I use an old Van Evers  strip power conditioner. My system sounds good, but would probably do so without it. I keep looking for a used Robert Grey 400 or a Running Springs.

Apr 23, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #1,058 of 2,034
Man I love your Stages! Are you going to use the Rag to power them?

Be sure to let us know how it goes.

Nice set-up!

Great Eye. Brought the speakers out of retirement after my neighbor complained about my subwoofer. It was not even up loud. So I took this chance to go back to two channel. Got to say. They still sound good. With all the reviews about the Ragnarok driving larger speakers, I plan to give it a try. This is one of the easier to drive apogee speakets. So it should work just fine. I think they are a higher impedance that the talked about Magis. But I really did buy the Ragnarok for headphones. Speaker outputs are a plus. Can't wait I think mine will ship next week. Just waiting on new amp Asst cables and some sort of power conditioner.

May 10, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #1,059 of 2,034
My amp finally shipped. Yea. Now I am still missing a couple of things. Does anybody have a recommendation for a mid price xlr cables between my source/Dac to the Ragnararok?

May 11, 2016 at 1:17 AM Post #1,060 of 2,034
I'm using a pair of Better Cables XLR, which is 2 for $20 off Amazon. They appear to be thick with nice screw on connectors. Mogami is well known to be cheap and high quality. Eventually I will audition some high end audiophile interconnects just to see what kind of improvement there is.

I also need to mess around with AC filtering, dampening, fuses, other upgrades and tweaks.

May 13, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #1,062 of 2,034
Anyone getting humming / buzzing from their Ragnarok's transformers? It's definitely an electrical / mechanical buzz from the region of the transformers and not a buzz through speakers / headphones. I've tried in two different houses plugged into different outlets in each and the noise seems pretty much the same. It gets significantly worse as the unit heats up. I don't remember hearing the buzz when I first got the Ragnarok - it seems to have developed only in the last couple of weeks.

I'm in contact with Schiit tech support trying to sort out the issue but they seem to think it's a ground loop, which seems unlikely given it seems pretty clearly to be coming from the transformers.

I don't have access to a power conditioner / UPS and would rather not spend a lot of money on one unless I can be sure (a) my Ragnarok is not faulty; and (b) it will fix or at least significantly reduce the problem.

I'm in Australia (50 Hz, 240V) if that makes a difference.

I read transformer buzz was an issue with some prototype units but I understood it had been fixed.

May 14, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #1,063 of 2,034
It could be the frequency difference of 50hz versus 60Hz in the US. Completely unrelated but I had audio gear that the power supply would buzz in Japan but not the US. 110/60 vs 100/50.

Before I start, let me say that I was a product manger for an audio company for several years. I have seen impossible things occur. Impossible that is until you troubleshoot. Here are some suggestions.

1. Isolate the unplugged Ragnarok with at least 1 meter from other electrical equiltment and wires Check for noise. This is your reality check. There should be no noise.

2. Plug in the Ragnarok power test only. Test for noise.

3. Plug in th other used cabled for the raga g check fit noise
I

May 14, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #1,064 of 2,034
  Anyone getting humming / buzzing from their Ragnarok's transformers? It's definitely an electrical / mechanical buzz from the region of the transformers and not a buzz through speakers / headphones. I've tried in two different houses plugged into different outlets in each and the noise seems pretty much the same. It gets significantly worse as the unit heats up. I don't remember hearing the buzz when I first got the Ragnarok - it seems to have developed only in the last couple of weeks.

I'm in contact with Schiit tech support trying to sort out the issue but they seem to think it's a ground loop, which seems unlikely given it seems pretty clearly to be coming from the transformers.

I don't have access to a power conditioner / UPS and would rather not spend a lot of money on one unless I can be sure (a) my Ragnarok is not faulty; and (b) it will fix or at least significantly reduce the problem.

I'm in Australia (50 Hz, 240V) if that makes a difference.

I read transformer buzz was an issue with some prototype units but I understood it had been fixed.

There my be some DC component in your local AC mains supply.  That can upset some toroidal transformers.  Can you borrow an isolating transformer to see if that helps?

May 14, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #1,065 of 2,034
Question for those who know more than me out there ...and that most lol....I was using the Yiggy/Rago combo and with them and i was using the included XLR cable to connect the 2 and never thought about it much....i replaced my Rag with the moon 430 and simply used the same XLR cable and again didnt think much of it.....a couple of days ago I decided to replace the XLR cable with Bettercables XLR cable and when I connected everything up and gave it a listen i was actually shocked....the volume on the exact same settings is dramatically higher...in other words listening at 48 on the Moon 430 with the new cables is literally like listening at 55 with the old cables....i have never experienced such a dramatic difference in any sense with changes in cables and am wondering why this would be the case....Any thoughts would be appreciated...as i said i was and am shocked

Users who are viewing this thread

Back