Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
Jun 30, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #872 of 2,001
Well, so the situation would be something like this?:

Signal --> Preamp --> HP
Signal --> Preamp --> Power amp --> Speaker

With the Preamp section being the same for both HP and Speaker?

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #873 of 2,001
Preamping basically means using the rag to prepare the signal for another amp which ultimately powers your speakers. The 3pin XLR can also be used to run powered monitors (assuming they can use 3pin inputs). But the rag already has speaker outs so there won't be a need for the preamp unless your speakers demand more than what the rag provides.

Yes, for headphones, simply use the front 4pin XLR.

And the speakers and headphones outs can both be used simultaneously.

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #874 of 2,001
Thank you, now is all clear 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 2, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #875 of 2,001
 I just spent hours with various snippets from my favorite challenge recording- Mahler's 8th MTT, SFS using the A/B option for continuous replay of various short snippets. HifFiman HE-560 headphones. I had my OppoBDP105D going directly into the Ragnarok through XLR, and into my Lyr with 1966 Siemens CCA tubes (these are superb tubes).  I used the single ended cable and level matched. Then moved the jack between the two (sitting right next to each other). I compared vocals, instrumental sections and choir rich sections. While I could sense small differences between the two-I honestly cannot say one was better via the SE connection.  My expectation was that the Rag would handily win- NOPE! Pretty much a tie (at least with highly regarded NOS tubes). Note: either one outperforms my Yamaha Natural Sound A/V, my Denon A/V and the built in Amp in the Oppo-which has garnered good reviews. 

I then switched to the balanced cable. Although it took 10+ seconds to switch- I have to say that after listening to the same 5 second snippet 20 times in a row-I had a good sense of the quality of the vocals and instrument reproduction. In this case- I found the Ragnarok to win the battle. Not a drop of hardness with the loudest soprano voices-just a smooth sense of delicacy. Overall a more pleasing sound. I can't say this means balanced is better than SE. But it could be that there was less circuitry to go through since the entire chain was balanced-from the XLR out through the internals of the Rag-then to the headphones. The last 10-20 seconds on disc 2 when all the soprano's, the female choir, the brass, violins and organ hit the high notes and crescendo are REALLY a challenge and can make me wince in discomfort at the stridency.  I tried this snippet on a Luxman 1u, and the Sennheiser HD800 balanced and unbalanced- still a bit of wincing. The best tubes on the Lyr minimize it-but it is still there. Bear in mind this recording won Grammy's for several categories including best recorded.
The Ragnarok with balanced cables- no wince-just lovely! The Ragnarok rises to the top!
Both the Lyr and the Ragnarok were warmed up for 6 hours before I started listening.

Ragnarok is here to stay! BTW: I regularly attend the San Francisco Symphony-and this last week-twice in one week.So I am pretty familiar with live symphony. 
I really want to give a listen to the Yggdrasil- but I've already gone crazy with HiFi this year-and also most of my recordings are CD or SACD- and the Ygg does not support DSD.

1. Grammy Awards of 2010
    1. Michael Tilson Thomas (conductor); Ragnar Bohlin, Kevin Fox & Susan McMane (choir directors); Andreas Neubronner (producer); Peter Laenger (engineer/mixer); Andreas Neubronner (mastering engineer); Laura Claycomb, Anthony Dean Griffey, Katarina Karnéus, Quinn Kelsey, James Morris, Yvonne Naef, Elza van den Heever & Erin Wall; San Francisco Symphony; Pacific Boychoir, San Francisco Girls Chorus & San Francisco Symphony Chorus for Mahler: Symphony No. 8; Adagio From Symphony No. 10

Jul 3, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #876 of 2,001
Finally received my Ragnarok. I haven't had enough time to thoroughly test it yet, but the first thing I noticed is how hot it operates. Is it normal for the front-top / front-bottom to be near scalding hot? Hot as in unable to rest my hand for more than a few seconds without having to remove it. Only thing between the Ragnarok is a wooden table under it and a mesh stand above it that has a Yggdrasil on top. Would it be safe to leave the unit on for prolonged durations (18+ hours/day)? Currently only plan to use it with headphones.

Jul 3, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #877 of 2,001
One of the reasons I sold mine was because of how hot it runs. It was warming my room up to the point where I was uncomfortable, though my gaming PC also has something to do with that. That being said there's no need to leave it on continuously. It won't sound any better and will only cost more money and also warm your listening room up

Jul 3, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #878 of 2,001
One of the reasons I sold mine was because of how hot it runs. It was warming my room up to the point where I was uncomfortable, though my gaming PC also has something to do with that. That being said there's no need to leave it on continuously. It won't sound any better and will only cost more money and also warm your listening room up

+1. The Ragnarock does run hot, and I had to place it separately, so its heat would bake my other electronics. I only turn my rag on when I will be using it, otherwise I turn it off. I love the crap out of my Schiit products, but the Rag is one hot piece of Schiit.:)

Jul 3, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #879 of 2,001
Mine doesn't run that hot, my Zana Deux is a lot hotter. For me it just runs warm, I can put my hand on it with no problems.

Jul 3, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #880 of 2,001
  Mine doesn't run that hot, my Zana Deux is a lot hotter. For me it just runs warm, I can put my hand on it with no problems.

On the case, yeah; though I wouldn't rest my palm on the vent - especially since it would block the airflow which is a bad idea.

Still, with no A/C in my place, Rag goes off when not in use.

Jul 3, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #881 of 2,001
  Finally received my Ragnarok. I haven't had enough time to thoroughly test it yet, but the first thing I noticed is how hot it operates. Is it normal for the front-top / front-bottom to be near scalding hot? Hot as in unable to rest my hand for more than a few seconds without having to remove it. Only thing between the Ragnarok is a wooden table under it and a mesh stand above it that has a Yggdrasil on top. Would it be safe to leave the unit on for prolonged durations (18+ hours/day)? Currently only plan to use it with headphones.

I'd consider placing the Rag on top of your Yggdrasil for better ventilation.

Jul 3, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #882 of 2,001

Aren't you the guy who reviewed it saying it was "finally your end game set up?" :p

Not that I ever believe that in this hobby. I'm sure down the road i'll upgrade too.

Jul 3, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #883 of 2,001
Aren't you the guy who reviewed it saying it was "finally your end game set up?" :p

Not that I ever believe that in this hobby. I'm sure down the road i'll upgrade too.

Now now, we all reserve the right to upgrade our "endgame" equipment! Years ago I had a Nakamichi Cassette Deck- Endgame! Well, until I got rid of my record player and replaced it with a CD player. 
PS-my Ragnarok gets very warm-Class A amps do! It is to be expected. And for my headphone listening it is operating as Class A (first 4 Watts). I can leave my hand on it without suffering burns and I don't have callused hands. If it's too hot to touch-I would improve the ventilation.

Jul 3, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #884 of 2,001

Not that I ever believe that in this hobbyhorse. I'm sure down the road i'll upgrade too.

Yup :wink:. It's still end game for me I just wanted to try a tube amp. And the fact that it got so hot was a real turn off because the summers where I live are already excruciating. Maybe if I lived in Alaska I would've kept it. Could've helped save on the heating bill

Jul 3, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #885 of 2,001
Yup :wink:. It's still end game for me I just wanted to try a tube amp. And the fact that it got so hot was a real turn off because the summers where I live are already excruciating. Maybe if I lived in Alaska I would've kept it. Could've helped save on the heating bill

What's your tube amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back