Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
Nov 4, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #107 of 2,020
no, depends on the amp design, some amp can some cannot, normally you cannot run SE on 4pin output with adapter, that will damage your amp. 

Nov 4, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #109 of 2,020

I used a DIY version of these

http://apuresound.com/images/cables/v3/adapter/4pxt14/index2.html

oh, am I misread you guys' posts, I think you were saying you can use SE on 4pin output with an adapter. This is not true for every amp. But you can always run 4pin on SE with adapter. 

Nov 4, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #110 of 2,020
I have zero problem running balanced when I get my rag. Wouldn't have it any other way. Have not seen anyone compare the ragnarok to the mjolnir... Very curious about a SQ comparison between the two.

Nov 4, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #111 of 2,020
My Raganarok is ready to ship!  Anyone else get their notice today? I sold my Mjolnir so long ago, thinking the Rag was just around the corner. My LCD-X's have been practically mothballed except for short sessions on the Vali. It took all my willpower not to buy another amp at Canmania--I hope it was worth saving myself.
beyersmile.png
Well, I'll know in a few days.

Nov 4, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #113 of 2,020
If se power is derived from balance, isnt that cyborg magic will also be carried over too?

Jason his own self told me to use the balanced for my iems, and I have to figure he knows whereof he speaks.

Even though I'll need to buy new cables/adapter...

Regarding engineering of the Ragnarok SE output, quoted from the vast, un-linkable depths of the internet:

" Yep, the single-ended outputs are summed from the circlotron output, so they have lower overall power capability, plus additional components in the signal path...bottom line, we made them as good as we could (because we know they have to be there for convenience,) but balanced, for a circlotron, is the One True Path. "

Nov 4, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #114 of 2,020
  My Raganarok is ready to ship!  Anyone else get their notice today? I sold my Mjolnir so long ago, thinking the Rag was just around the corner. My LCD-X's have been practically mothballed except for short sessions on the Vali. It took all my willpower not to buy another amp at Canmania--I hope it was worth saving myself.
beyersmile.png

Barry, what was your order number?

Nov 4, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #116 of 2,020
beyersmile.png

My order is 20703 and ordered at about 0900 CT the first day available. No notice yet but when it's time it will be time. Not a big deal. Still have my M/G stack working just awesome. In fact it is kinda hard to imagine how the rag would improve on what I am getting now but anxious to find out... Going to use Gungnir with the ragnarok until yggdrasil becomes available.

Good thing you kept your virginity!?! What dac to use with the rag?

Nov 4, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #117 of 2,020

My order is 20703 and ordered at about 0900 CT the first day available. No notice yet but when it's time it will be time. Not a big deal. Still have my M/G stack working just awesome. In fact it is kinda hard to imagine how the rag would improve on what I am getting now but anxious to find out... Going to use Gungnir with the ragnarok until yggdrasil becomes available.

I liked the Mjolnir, but recognized it's limitations after hearing a lot of other amps. The LCD-X is a little lean for my taste with the Mjolnir and any cans that run a bit bright, seem glarey. I'll be using my Gungnir for now, but if the Yggy knocks my socks off, it's a possibility.

Nov 4, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #118 of 2,020
Placing my order Friday. Just wondering if you guys know if the Ragnorak is a true balanced design? Many integrated amps with balanced inputs have a chips inside that converts back to SE source.. which is BS imo.

Nov 4, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #119 of 2,020

I liked the Mjolnir, but recognized it's limitations after hearing a lot of other amps. The LCD-X is a little lean for my taste with the Mjolnir and any cans that run a bit bright, seem glarey. I'll be using my Gungnir for now, but if the Yggy knocks my socks off, it's a possibility.

Not having heard or owned any other amps I don't have anything to compare to the mjolnir but hoping the rag will be a pretty definitive step up. I don't consider the X to be lean sounding on the Mjo at all but then everyone hears things differently.

Nov 4, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #120 of 2,020

Thinking of using the Oppo 105D sabre dac balanced output to Ragnorak balanced input. I've read some comparisons with the Audiolab MDAC and some prefer it over the MDAC. I was planning to use Hugo as DAC but decided to sell it to make some funds available for the Ragnorak. Since its integrated, DAC won't much that of a difference. Certainly don't hear $2,400.00 worth of difference as I spent on the Hugo when a preamp is in the chain. Oppo 105 is also true balanced design so it might just work out.

Edit - This is for to 2 channel Audio, I'm sure DAC choice for strictly for headphone use would be a bit different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back