Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
Sep 5, 2023 at 11:07 PM Post #1,891 of 2,039
Hi,

I'd let Ragnarok play for a few days, whether you are in the room or not, hps or speakers should be fine..

I have found that I have to adjust my speakers to the room/amplifier/dac. Example if I'm using ragnarok 2 as an amp for say my Zu Omen DW2 s, I wont have the same exact speaker placement when I try a single vidar, or dual gjallarhorns. Playing with speaker placement will likely change your separation/imaging.

Also, good tubes amps are, well, really good..

I never feel like the lead singer is far away from the band, just a step or two in front..

What headphones are you using. Balanced or Single Ended?

I found the built in USB dac to be good enough if I needed it, but I preferred any of my separate dacs with Ragnarok 2 over the USB card..

I think the phono card in ragnarok is better then my Mani 1 preamp.

I find Ragnarok to be more polite and refined then my tube HP amp or the MJ3. Very detailed, but definetly not as tube like..

Edit - Is this the tube amp you are using? It has a choke! Looks to be a really quality item..I'm not suprised the presentation is different between Rag 2 and the tube amp, even without price consideration... 2 Tyrs might be a fairer comparison..

https://iconaudio.com/stereo-40-mkiv-integrated-kt88-amplifier-stereo-40-mkiv
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Yes that's the tube amp.

I was hoping to get a SS integrated for a secondary system, not equaling cost or sound performance of my tube amp but more convenient for others to use while also giving a different sonic signature. If the Ragnarok is representative of SS amps around this price, I might be a tube guy? I'm not ready to have this different of a sound in my secondary system, my ears can't adjust fast enough. But I will use my 15 day period to see if the sound changes (or if my ears adapt).

Using Hifiman Ananda Stealths, single ended. Is there any benefit to balanced other than higher volume? I don't have any balanced input/sources.

Polite and refined is a good description. I would also say crisp and precise. But for me not great with intimate music. Actually I've found over the last few days it sounds best with loud rock and symphonies.

Sep 6, 2023 at 2:26 AM Post #1,892 of 2,039

I was hoping to get a SS integrated for a secondary system, not equaling cost or sound performance of my tube amp but more convenient for others to use while also giving a different sonic signature. If the Ragnarok is representative of SS amps around this price, I might be a tube guy? I'm not ready to have this different of a sound in my secondary system, my ears can't adjust fast enough. But I will use my 15 day period to see if the sound changes (or if my ears adapt).

Using Hifiman Ananda Stealths, single ended. Is there any benefit to balanced other than higher volume? I don't have any balanced input/sources.

Polite and refined is a good description. I would also say crisp and precise. But for me not great with intimate music. Actually I've found over the last few days it sounds best with loud rock and symphonies.

I generally think that if an amp has both balanced and single ended hp outputs, the balanced is likely to sound better. I quite like the SE output on my SE only tube hp amp, Asgard 2, magni piety.

Might I suggest an Aegir and Freya+ or Freya N, Freya N available on the b.stock/closeout page..

Freya+ takes the same 6SN7 tubes as your tube amp, or you could do the LISST option.

Aegir is highly regarded and does 10 watts in class A before transitioning out.

Another option would be Aegir, Saga+, Modi Multibit 2, Mani 2 and Magni+ or Loki+ That would give a much different sound profile compared to Rag 2, for a similar price point. And allow for tube flavor, EQ or an HP amp.

Sep 9, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #1,893 of 2,039
If the Ragnarok is representative of SS amps around this price, I might be a tube guy? I'm not ready to have this different of a sound in my secondary system, my ears can't adjust fast enough. But I will use my 15 day period to see if the sound changes (or if my ears adapt).

Every planar I know prefers current lots of current The Rag 2 (or 1) puts out plenty for any headphone and speakers too

Using the Rag as a guideline its XLR over SE always - not just the power which planar crave but the output impedance is very low (very good) and quite high in SE (not so good)

For 300-600 ohn cans I prefer OTL tubes; but with planars and you want crisp high speed bass - you need SS or hybrid tube

Also the transducers are the key part of any audio playback - the Ananda Stealth are not up to par with either Rag - but the HEK Stealth for instance is

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #1,894 of 2,039

Late response:

The Rag 2 sounds much better with headphones in Gain 2, not 3. 2 is also better for speakers at low volumes or if they are over 90 db @ 1m/1w. Gain 1 will give the most delicate sound, but somewhat muted in the lower bass and higher treble. I have to use Gain 3 with my 86 db speakers.

Tubes have more HD - in particular even order harmonics. Pass amps have more HD than most SS amps and are my long term preference. SS amps that ASR endorses are those with low distortion - ideal if recordings were perfect, but with the imperfect, sometimes a little HD makes overtones sound more natural. My beef with tube amps big enough for hungry speakers is the bass is disconnected from the mids/highs. I hate that, its a coloration that never stops unless you are listening to a string quartet.

I had to downsize, and the Rag 1 works for me on planar cans (in XLR) and my speakers. The mid treble is a little "white" or washed, and the low bass is average, It's no match for something like a Pass Int-25. But used 1's are going at $675 and 2's $975. Good for me, but not for all.

Dec 18, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #1,895 of 2,039
Hi. Soon-to-be Rag 2 owner here.
I purchased a used one last night. Going through this thread, I'm not Reading many sound quality impressions. A lot of the posts have to do with the functionality of the unit and less to do with the quality of the sound, specifically through headphones. The post that do talk about sound quality, do so in regards to speakers, not headphones.
I have some planars here, the HEK V2 Stealth. I'm hoping the Rag 2 will be at least as good as my GSX mini and MK2.

Dec 19, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #1,896 of 2,039
The GSX mini should be used in SE for planars, but the Rag 2 should be used in XLR. Assuming you can cover that:

GSX is a bit warmer, esp above 3k, has a bit more depth of stage too. I think the Rag 2 might have more swagger/potency in the bass, in particular mid/upper bass - esp at high volumes (> 95 db).

Rag 2 IMO sounds best in Gain 2, unless you are listening to recordings when you are listening for very fine micro details in the mids and bass and high treble are not present or not key to the piece - then Gain 1. Gain 3 for speakers (under 90-92 db) or if you are the Auteur of ASR listening to cans at 114 db.

My 1.5 (I have heard the 2 twice) is my driver for speakers and planars, and hopefully soon ribbon or AMT. For my HD-600 its OTL tube.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #1,897 of 2,039
The GSX mini should be used in SE for planars, but the Rag 2 should be used in XLR. Assuming you can cover that:

GSX is a bit warmer, esp above 3k, has a bit more depth of stage too. I think the Rag 2 might have more swagger/potency in the bass, in particular mid/upper bass - esp at high volumes (> 95 db).

Rag 2 IMO sounds best in Gain 2, unless you are listening to recordings when you are listening for very fine micro details in the mids and bass and high treble are not present or not key to the piece - then Gain 1. Gain 3 for speakers (under 90-92 db) or if you are the Auteur of ASR listening to cans at 114 db.

My 1.5 (I have heard the 2 twice) is my driver for speakers and planars, and hopefully soon ribbon or AMT. For my HD-600 its OTL tube.
Thank you.

Dec 19, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #1,898 of 2,039
Hi. Soon-to-be Rag 2 owner here.
I purchased a used one last night. Going through this thread, I'm not Reading many sound quality impressions. A lot of the posts have to do with the functionality of the unit and less to do with the quality of the sound, specifically through headphones. The post that do talk about sound quality, do so in regards to speakers, not headphones.
I have some planars here, the HEK V2 Stealth. I'm hoping the Rag 2 will be at least as good as my GSX mini and MK2.
I love my Rag 2.

It’s ideal for planar headphones. I use it with my LCD-3 and Alpha Primes on highest gain via XLR. If I listen to my Nighthawk (rare) then I listen on low gain.

It’s got a warmth to the sound, with great punchy bass. There’s plenty of fine detail and it’s musical rather than analytical. Transients are wonderful. Highs are detailed but not sharp.

It’s great with all kinds of music. I listen to all kinds of stuff. It works very well with all genres.

Although it’s not a tube amp, I find it sounds “better” after it’s been on for 30 minutes or more.

Dec 19, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #1,899 of 2,039
I love my Rag 2.

It’s ideal for planar headphones. I use it with my LCD-3 and Alpha Primes on highest gain via XLR. If I listen to my Nighthawk (rare) then I listen on low gain.

It’s got a warmth to the sound, with great punchy bass. There’s plenty of fine detail and it’s musical rather than analytical. Transients are wonderful. Highs are detailed but not sharp.

It’s great with all kinds of music. I listen to all kinds of stuff. It works very well with all genres.

Although it’s not a tube amp, I find it sounds “better” after it’s been on for 30 minutes or more.
Cool. Thank you.

Dec 22, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #1,900 of 2,039
The shootout begins...

Rag 2 vs Mini.

IMG_20231221_173040912_HDR.jpg

Dec 22, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #1,902 of 2,039
Hi, folks. I'm a proud Rag 2 owner. It's currently powering my new (and amazing) Zu DWX stand mounts, with my beloved Yggy LIM in the chain. It offers more power than I would ever need for these highly efficient speakers. And to my untrained ears, it sounds great, although I have nothing to compare it to and I don't have the experience or knowledge to listen for subtle shortcomings. If there was some obvious flaw, I'd hear it, but so far it sounds wonderful. Since I can never leave well enough alone, I'm intrigued by the new Aegir 2 and the idea of pairing it with a Freya+. Lots of people use that Freya+/Aegir combo and rave about it, especially with Zu speakers, which are very tube-friendly. Is there anyone here who has compared the Rag 2 to the Freya+/Aegir combo? Assuming the new Aegir is in the same ballpark as the old one, I'm wondering if switching would be a demonstrable and audible upgrade, especially for someone like me who isn't a newbie but also isn't one of those people who has the technical knowledge to hyper-analyze every nuance. I'm interested in any thoughts from the group. There would need to be a fairly substantial improvement in sound to justify a switch but I don't know to figure out if there would be. For the record, I like the tube sound and have an excellent tube amp for my ZMF headphones. I'm not going to do anything for many months so this is just speculation spurred by new product envy. :)

Dec 22, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #1,903 of 2,039
Hi, folks. I'm a proud Rag 2 owner. It's currently powering my new (and amazing) Zu DWX stand mounts, with my beloved Yggy LIM in the chain. It offers more power than I would ever need for these highly efficient speakers. And to my untrained ears, it sounds great, although I have nothing to compare it to and I don't have the experience or knowledge to listen for subtle shortcomings. If there was some obvious flaw, I'd hear it, but so far it sounds wonderful. Since I can never leave well enough alone, I'm intrigued by the new Aegir 2 and the idea of pairing it with a Freya+. Lots of people use that Freya+/Aegir combo and rave about it, especially with Zu speakers, which are very tube-friendly. Is there anyone here who has compared the Rag 2 to the Freya+/Aegir combo? Assuming the new Aegir is in the same ballpark as the old one, I'm wondering if switching would be a demonstrable and audible upgrade, especially for someone like me who isn't a newbie but also isn't one of those people who has the technical knowledge to hyper-analyze every nuance. I'm interested in any thoughts from the group. There would need to be a fairly substantial improvement in sound to justify a switch but I don't know to figure out if there would be. For the record, I like the tube sound and have an excellent tube amp for my ZMF headphones. I'm not going to do anything for many months so this is just speculation spurred by new product envy. :)
If you like the tube sound and you have high sensitivity speakers, then I would recommend definitely go tube.
You don't have to spend a lot more money. In fact, you could spend less money than what the Rag 2 costs to get delicious sound from your high sensitivity speakers.

If you don't want the hassle of tubes then get yourself a single-ended solid state.

Dec 23, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #1,904 of 2,039
First thoughts?
I believe the Mini will be replaced with this Rag 2. While the Mini is a wonderful piece, the Rag 2 has more of what I want. It has more air, more separation of instruments and more weight in the low end. Not only that, it handles complex orchestral material with more control and speed. It has an iron fisted grip on even the most complex material.
The Mini is a very nice piece and it's tough to let it go. It has a nice smooth, warm signature but when I get down to the nitty-gritty, the Rag 2 has the speed, decay, openness, attack, air and transparency that I want while a very nice midrange. Not a gooey, syrupy midrange but still lovely. And like I said, an iron-fisted grip in the low end. The bass is downright guttural.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #1,905 of 2,039
I believe the Mini will be replaced with this Rag 2. While the Mini is a wonderful piece, the Rag 2 has more of what I want. It has more air, more separation of instruments and more weight in the low end. Not only that, it handles complex orchestral material with more control and speed. It has an iron fisted grip on even the most complex material.
The Mini is a very nice piece and it's tough to let it go. It has a nice smooth, warm signature but when I get down to the nitty-gritty, the Rag 2 has the speed, decay, openness, attack, air and transparency that I want while a very nice midrange. Not a gooey, syrupy midrange but still lovely. And like I said, an iron-fisted grip in the low end. The bass is downright guttural.
Awesome mate.

How you described Rag 2 is spot on and why I love mine. The bass with my LCD-3 is awesome and the handling of transients is superb.

Paired with Yggy+ OG with Unison here, and having just received my Yggy+ OG back from Schiit yesterday, it’s got to burn in before I can form impressions worth sharing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back