Schiit Modius discussion - $199 balanced AK4493 DAC
Aug 20, 2020 at 12:22 AM Post #556 of 941
Make sure to check the power management settings. Where you can set things to balanced/performance and so forth. There's a USB suspend setting you can try turning off. I don't use sleep but I have a desktop I just let idle..

Aug 20, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #557 of 941
Mine has nothing to do with USB as I'm using optical. My E30 DAC for example does not have this issue and also uses optical. I'll test the E30 again just to triple check and confirm.

Just checked the E30. No issues, but I do have to turn on the E30 each time I want to use it so it may be reinitializing each time whereas the Modius may not be doing that as it appears to be on from start.

I have a ticket open with Schiit to ensure it's not a mistake in the design.

Questions to be answered:
If the Modius shows an input selection upon startup should it already be selected at that point? Example: The Optical input LED is lit upon startup. Is that input truly selected upon initial startup?

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #558 of 941
Schiit says I can send it in for "Repair" but they did not indicate there is problem explicitly. The warranty is non-transferable so I'd have to pay for the unknown repair cost. No thanks!

Hopefully others have this problem and Schiit offers a fix or replacement. These units are so new.

Is it hardware or software? If it's software can I fix it with the help of Schiit?

My concerns is with the overall quality of the product if some units have it and others do not.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #560 of 941
Schiit says I can send it in for "Repair" but they did not indicate there is problem explicitly. The warranty is non-transferable so I'd have to pay for the unknown repair cost. No thanks!

Hopefully others have this problem and Schiit offers a fix or replacement. These units are so new.

Is it hardware or software? If it's software can I fix it with the help of Schiit?

This unit is going up for sale.
I think it has to do with the unit itself. People on the reddit thread sent their unit in for a replacement and the issue went away with the new units. I've tried everything, none of my other USB dacs do this nor have any of my past usb dacs. :confused:

Aug 20, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #563 of 941
Aug 21, 2020 at 1:37 AM Post #564 of 941
I wonder if this is related to the issue I'm having as well. My Modius doesn't work when left for 10 minutes or so. During this time, the laptop goes to sleep but when I wake it, I have to unplug / replug the Modius for it to work, every single time. Might be something else but I thought it was normal operation. A hassle, but normal

Aug 21, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #565 of 941
I wonder if this is related to the issue I'm having as well. My Modius doesn't work when left for 10 minutes or so. During this time, the laptop goes to sleep but when I wake it, I have to unplug / replug the Modius for it to work, every single time. Might be something else but I thought it was normal operation. A hassle, but normal
For your particular issue did you dig around in your BIOS for:
C States Control and Deep Sleep Control in BIOS Setup?

Aug 21, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #566 of 941
I went through that USB sleep issue myself - Schiit paid for return shipping and shipped a replacement even before they received my problem unit back. I assumed it was a simple firmware fix, but they never gave me any details. I have my Modius plugged into a powered USB hub, which is plugged into my laptop. The USB hub has a little button next to each USB port so you can turn the port on or off. So even while that was happening, I just shifted my on/off switch from the Modius itself to that little USB hub button. It saved me having to unplug the unit each time.

That said, ever since I got the replacement it's been completely fine.

Aug 21, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #567 of 941
I went through that USB sleep issue myself - Schiit paid for return shipping and shipped a replacement even before they received my problem unit back. I assumed it was a simple firmware fix, but they never gave me any details. I have my Modius plugged into a powered USB hub, which is plugged into my laptop. The USB hub has a little button next to each USB port so you can turn the port on or off. So even while that was happening, I just shifted my on/off switch from the Modius itself to that little USB hub button. It saved me having to unplug the unit each time.

Ah, that's interesting. Yeah, one of the support folks suggested I purchase a powered USB hub, too. Honestly though, I'd rather not add one more thing into my chain, especially a cheap USB hub that most likely will add noise on some level so I just have learned to live with unplugging and re-plugging every time I walk away and return. 🤷

Aug 21, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #568 of 941

That's certainly not to say what worked for you in the interim was wrong in any way. I'm just super OCD about my signal chain lol. Thanks for your reply!

Aug 21, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #570 of 941
So I guess I have a updated version?!? I know my power settings are set to max performance which includes the USB settings being set to the USB recommended in previous posts.

I would think so if you're not experiencing the issue. I bought my unit the day the DAC was released so it sounds like the first batch only has this issue. Not sure..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back