Schiit Modius discussion - $199 balanced AK4493 DAC
Aug 17, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #542 of 941
Aug 17, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #543 of 941
...Also why in the world was micro USB used in 2020?
In his introductory post for Modius Jason Stoddard stated:
“Though you’re still using micro-USBs!” someone yells. “What a pain in the ass.”

And yeah, we hear you. It’s getting close to the point where we’ll start introducing products with USB-C, but for right now, they’re still a bit dear for a product at the Modius’ price point. We’re really, really, really trying to deliver huge value here.
This applies to all the lower price Schiit DACs and DAC/Amps, on the higher price DACs and the add-in DAC cards, for the modular amps, Schiit use a USB-B connection.

Aug 19, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #544 of 941
I have verified multiple times that my Modius does not recognize, upon initial boot up, the optical input even though the LED is lit. The input selector must be cycled again to properly select the optical input. It is though it looses its memory after power down.

TEST
Windows 10 Machine
Optical Output from PC to Modius
No Sleep or Hybernate settings on
1.) Unplug 5v supply to Modius
2.) Lock PC using Ctrl+Alt+Del and Lock
3.) Wait overnight
4.) Wake up PC and login
5.) Plug in Modius
6.) LED will already be on Optical input
7.) Load Music Player
8.) Play
9.) No sound
10.) Cycle input selector back to Optical
11.) Sound

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #545 of 941
I have verified multiple times that my Modius does not recognize, upon initial boot up, the optical input even though the LED is lit. The input selector must be cycled again to properly select the optical input. It is though it looses its memory after power down.
I would contact Schiit about it https://www.schiit.com/contact

Aug 19, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #546 of 941
I am also having issues with losing connection upon waking my PC, modius is recognized but will not play sound. I have to reach around and unplug it then plug it back in for sound to work every single time.....external power does not help. I do not experience this with any other USB dac I have. I am currently talking with schiit support about this issue.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #547 of 941
I am also having issues with losing connection upon waking my PC. I have to reach around and unplug it then plug it back in for sound to work every single time.....external power does not help. I do not experience this with any other USB dac I have. I am currently talking with schiit support about this issue.
I haven't had this problem, I use USB.

Aug 19, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #552 of 941
I have 2 Windows 10 laptops, both running Tidal Masters. One laptop (connected via Schiit supplied USB cable to Unison) works flawlessly. The other will play for one second, then quit (while Tidal is still running). If I connect a DAP to Modius, the music will play for one second, then quit. I have compared the two laptop setups, and I can't see any difference... yet one works and one doesn't. Anyone come across anything like this? Really nice DAC when I can get it to work..

Aug 19, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #555 of 941
re: computer wake-up from sleep:
on some desktop and laptop computers, there are settings for not just usb sleep /wake, but also separate usb power (port) management for each port. On some desktop computers, the usb power can be set via motherboard jumpers or bios settings to keep usb power always active regardless of the machines sleep / wake state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back