Schiit Modi USB DAC
Dec 14, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #16 of 870
Just ordered the Magni.....Schiit, you did it again !

I need help !

Dec 15, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #18 of 870
Quick question. Does the Modi do 16/88.2 and 24/88.2?

On a different note, I'm hoping the Magni will have a 230V option soon.

Dec 15, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #19 of 870
Quote:
Quick question. Does the Modi do 16/88.2 and 24/88.2?

On a different note, I'm hoping the Magni will have a 230V option soon.

16/88.2 not specified  It does do 24/88.2

Dec 19, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #24 of 870
Well,  not much to it the way I'm using it.  USB out of my iMAC to the Modi.  No issues at all.  On this desktop work rig all I play are iTunes 16 / 44.1 files.  right now no drop outs, no hicups.  Just works.  I will try some hi-res files latter..

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #25 of 870
Quote:

It uses a power brick so if anyone can post the specs of the 120v version you can just look for another brick that takes 220/230/240v input with the same DC output for the amp.

The power input on the Magni is 16 VAC, not 16 VDC as the amp incorporates its own PSU with linear regulation and filter caps. All you need is a stepdown transformer, not a DC wall wart.

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #26 of 870
Quote:

The power input on the Magni is 16 VAC, not 16 VDC as the amp incorporates its own PSU with linear regulation and filter caps. All you need is a stepdown transformer, not a DC wall wart.

Oh shoot; but then I read somewhere some stepdown transformers can cause instabilities in the regulators? I don't need this amp but if ever anyone asks me, and given we all use a UPS or voltage regulator with all ranges of outputs, it should be safe to just plug it into the 120v/110v outlet on those, right?

Dec 21, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #27 of 870
I am new to this forum and the hi fi market. I just got my first CIEMs (Westone ES5) and love them. I use both a MAC and a PC and am wondering if I will really notice a big difference if use an external DAC like the Modi? Also, will I need to get an amp like the Magni if I do add the DAC? Any help or advice would be welcome! 

I also want to state that I have found this forum to be one of the more useful ones I have joined. Great reviews and a lot of information out there. 

Dec 21, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #28 of 870
Quote:
I am new to this forum and the hi fi market. I just got my first CIEMs (Westone ES5) and love them. I use both a MAC and a PC and am wondering if I will really notice a big difference if use an external DAC like the Modi? Also, will I need to get an amp like the Magni if I do add the DAC? Any help or advice would be welcome! 

I also want to state that I have found this forum to be one of the more useful ones I have joined. Great reviews and a lot of information out there. 

It's hard to say how much difference you'll notice with an external DAC; I personally didn't notice a big difference when I got my Bifrost (it sounds good certainly, but it didn't immediately jump out at me as blatantly better sounding). And of course, some will have had the opposite experience; I suspect it largely depends on the quality of what the external DAC is replacing. My typical priority ranking is headphones first, then an amp and DAC last; but that's just been my general experience.

If you do get an external DAC you will need an amplifier of some sort to hook it up to. DACs cannot typically be listened to on their own (technically you could wire up something, but it wouldn't be a good solution/isn't recommended/would probably sound bad).

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #29 of 870
Quote:

Actually, this is a great question. We cause some people a lot of consternation because they expect us to participate in Black Friday sales, holiday promos, summer sales, package deals, loyalty programs, etc. The reality is that every one of those programs has exactly three effects:

1. It makes everyone wait for the sales, so suddenly your company is addicted to sales.
2. It makes everyone who bought before the sales wonder if they got screwed.
3. It makes everything cost more.

Read #3 again. The simplest sales model is one where everything is a fixed cost, no sales, no promos, no special package deals, no loyalty programs. And simple is inexpensive. Simple means we don't have to pass the cost along to you. Anytime we do a sale, start a promo, offer a package deal, or start a loyalty program, we're adding cost to our products.

That's why we have one price list, no discounts, no sales, no promos--because it passes the savings along to everyone.

Brilliant. You, my friend, are awesome. Currently saving for a magni n modi combo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back