Schiit Modi USB DAC
Jul 23, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #526 of 870
  I'm the process of ordering a Schiit Vali, to be used in conjunction with a Fiio x3 as a DAC. Would it be worth it to add a Modi to my order? Would the sound improve coming from an x3 (as opposed to onboard audio and the like), or can i save myself 100 squids? 

Can the x3 power the Modi or will you need a powered USB hub? That would make a difference to me.

I'm in a similar situation because I'm running a Magni with a CD player source (Marantz CD5004).  I'm tempted to get a Modi (optical) but the current set up sounds really good to me so I wonder if there is enough upside to risk the $100. 

Jul 24, 2014 at 3:32 AM Post #527 of 870
  I'm the process of ordering a Schiit Vali, to be used in conjunction with a Fiio x3 as a DAC. Would it be worth it to add a Modi to my order? Would the sound improve coming from an x3 (as opposed to onboard audio and the like), or can i save myself 100 squids?

If you're using the X3 as a DAC already and it works with whatever computer you're using it with, I'd say don't sweat on getting the Modi for now. Lots of reviews state the X3 sounds warm but I got to use it and it's still a lot better than my SGS3 on IEMs that roll off at 12khz.

Quote:

Can the x3 power the Modi or will you need a powered USB hub? That would make a difference to me.

Why would you even want the X3 to power the Modi? It's not like it can send a digital signal to it to begin with. DAPs with OTG function were designed to use that with storage devices, not external DACs. It has SPDIF output but it's RCA Coaxial 75ohm, while the alternate version of the Modi uses SPDIF Optical/Toslink.

Jul 25, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #531 of 870
I was just trying to be helpful which, I thought, was the point of the forum.

I get it now; the way you wrote I thought you  meant you were asking him and planning to do that yourself. Could have explained that by expounding already past "I don't."

In any case, he can't use it that way - what he meant basically was whether the X3 would be enough as a DAC for the Vali, or if the Modi would perform much better. No clear answer there as it's really best to listen through the equipment - I've had a few surprises when I compared the PCM2702 USB DAC (which most amps use only as a USB receiver) built into my amp to some CDPs from $349 to $2000, so a portable player isn't necessarily automatically handicapped compared to one powered by USB 5v, and especially not one that outputs close to the PCM standard 2volts.

Aug 4, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #532 of 870
Modi + Crack + HD600, ahhh... Awesome man.

Aug 6, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #533 of 870
Seems like the latest Macbook refresh (July / August 2014) suffers from the problem that plagued my Haswell-based PC -- the audio cuts out because the built in USB cannot apparently provide a steady enough power supply. Can anyone confirm this before I spend money on a powered USB hub?

Aug 20, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #536 of 870
  What USB cable does everyone use with their Modi?

Any cheap USB cable as long as it's not too Schitty.
wink_face.gif

Aug 22, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #540 of 870
Damnit. Modi is the first (of MANY) dacs I've owned that doesn't work with my Squeezebox Touch w/ EDO, with or w/out the Wyrd. Looks like I'll be putting them up for sale. Both like new w/ only a couple hours of use. :frowning2:

-Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back