Schiit Modi Multibit 2 DAC
Dec 30, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #151 of 1,649
Yes, its amazing how you can have a really great listening experience without breaking the bank at least with the dac and amp part.
The headphone part is all over the map for me....and again the only way to tell is trying them yourself.

I have a Vali 2 ++ and its a favorite here as well...went thru tons of tubes and as usual most sound the same....(to me that is!!).

:>)

Dec 30, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #152 of 1,649
Yes, its amazing how you can have a really great listening experience without breaking the bank at least with the dac and amp part.
The headphone part is all over the map for me....and again the only way to tell is trying them yourself.

I have a Vali 2 ++ and its a favorite here as well...went thru tons of tubes and as usual most sound the same....(to me that is!!).

I agree about the tubes but the RCA Command 5670 finally brought me the tube sound I was looking for. I've always been a fan if the RCA 12ax7 black plates made in 50's.
I agree about your headphone observation too. I sold off the headphones I never use and kept my Sennheiser HD600, Focal Clear Pro, and Audio Technica WP900 headphones.. I find myself reaching for the Sennheisers most of the time.

Dec 30, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #153 of 1,649
Similar story here...gone thru many cans and my tastes wound up with D8000 Pros, ADX 5000 and HD 650's...and recently a set of RAD 0's.
Use all of them in a rotation and all are good in their own right.

Great on that tube! If it makes you smile then your home-free!!

Alex

Dec 30, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #154 of 1,649
I agree about the tubes but the RCA Command 5670 finally brought me the tube sound I was looking for. I've always been a fan if the RCA 12ax7 black plates made in 50's.
I agree about your headphone observation too. I sold off the headphones I never use and kept my Sennheiser HD600, Focal Clear Pro, and Audio Technica WP900 headphones.. I find myself reaching for the Sennheisers most of the time.
Agree 100% on the RCA Command black plate 5670. It takes the Vali 2++ to a whole new level. Somewhat off-topic, but can someone recommend a reasonably priced headphone? I’m currently running AT ATH-M50x phones, which I really like, but I have a feeling I could step up my game with something better. My main criterion is that they must be neutral - I can’t tolerate a tipped-up treble or overemphasized bass.

Dec 30, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #155 of 1,649
Love my NOS DACs. Since you're a ABB fan I highly recommend the new CD of the Jan 17, 1971 concert in Pittsburgh at the Syria Mosque. Great SQ and concert. I saw them in May of that year in Colorado. I've loved all the incarnations of the band and happy that they went out on top in 2014.

I have that one I agree. I use CD's partly because I have so many great bootlegs that will never be streamed. There are some excellent ABB bootlegs with Duane Allman. There is a 2 CD Filmore West Concert that is excellent. A J&R radio from 1971 is good. Warehouse in New Orleans 1971 is good but not the best recording. I have the original Ludlow garage bootleg that has since become a label release. The Ludlow bootleg is actually better sounding. There is a 4 CD bootleg from New Years Eve at the Cow Palace 1973 post Duane that is excellent. Dickie Betts tears it up.

If you like the Rolling Stones there is a fantastic bootleg called Brussels Affair. Mick Taylor went crazy .... best Gimme Shelter, best Midnight Rambler and all the other songs are very well recorded and performed.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #156 of 1,649
I have that one I agree. I use CD's partly because I have so many great bootlegs that will never be streamed. There are some excellent ABB bootlegs with Duane Allman. There is a 2 CD Filmore West Concert that is excellent. A J&R radio show is good. Warehouse in New Orleans 1971 is good but not the best recording. I have the original Ludlow garage bootleg that has since become a label release. The Ludlow bootleg is actually better sounding. There is a 4 CD bootleg from New Years Eve at the Cow Palace 1973 post Duane that is excellent, Dickie Betts tears it up.

If you like the Rolling Stones there is a fantastic bootleg called Brussels Affair. Mick Taylor went crazy .... best Gimme Shelter, best Midnight Rambler and all the other songs are very well recorded and performed.
100% on the ABB boots and Brussels Affair. My favorite live Stones. I better get back on topic :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 30, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #157 of 1,649
Agree 100% on the RCA Command black plate 5670. It takes the Vali 2++ to a whole new level. Somewhat off-topic, but can someone recommend a reasonably priced headphone? I’m currently running AT ATH-M50x phones, which I really like, but I have a feeling I could step up my game with something better. My main criterion is that they must be neutral - I can’t tolerate a tipped-up treble or overemphasized bass.
You might want to try a HD 6XX series...Not knowing what your budget is. Folks getting into this crazy hobby all seem to try the Senn 600, 650. 660 etc...the 6xx can is fine, the 650 has a bit more low end bass.....not too costly.

Alex

Dec 30, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #158 of 1,649
You might want to try a HD 6XX series...Not knowing what your budget is. Folks getting into this crazy hobby all seem to try the Senn 600, 650. 660 etc...the 6xx can is fine, the 650 has a bit more low end bass.....not too costly.

Alex
I have the original HD 600 with the marble finish. Love them. I've wondered about the HD 6XX though. More bass?

Dec 30, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #160 of 1,649
I have the original HD 600 with the marble finish. Love them. I've wondered about the HD 6XX though. More bass?
They are pretty much the same thing.
The drop.com version is supposed to be the 650 with some minor changes...
I had the 600's and got the real senn 650's for just that reason, a tad more bass...sold the 600's.
The difference IMO again is not earth shattering, but the 650's do have a tad more capability on the low end.

Alex

Dec 30, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #163 of 1,649
I actually bought a Modius just to see if I would notice any differences between it and the OG Bifrost. I sold the Modius.
Here is a pix of a Magni 3 with the MM2.

Some folks never liked the LED light shining brightly out of the front panel...for me I always liked it.
Funny this pairing to my ears is really very nice.

1672419882429.png

Where did you get the volume knob for the Magni?

Dec 30, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #165 of 1,649
I have Sennheiser Massdrop HD6XX and have never really enjoyed them compared to most of my headphones. They do come alive once I run them with tons of power but they never have ever sounded good out of the single ended outputs of any of my amplifiers.
I just acquired Sennheiser HD600 as a Christmas present to myself. Already, straight out of the box I love the way HD600 makes music sound.
My HD6XX come off as having warmer, and close intimate staging. However, it seems all wrong and flawed compared to what I hear in my higher end headphones that create warmth in a more agreeable manner. My HD600 seem much more open not intimate but wide open stage and clear balanced image. I can't wait to put the HD600 through some amplifiers to hear what it can do. Especially on some tube amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back